This year still up in the Air but Next Year

I'd like to see Gabe and Woody both starting next year. They almost never play at the same time, probably because they both are considered the Center. But something like:

Gesell
Oglesby
White
Olaseni
Woodbury

Same basic thing as this year only Josh replaces Marble and Olaseni replaces Basabe. With this lineup Iowa should have the size advantage over every single team. I also think Gabe will continue to make strides on the offensive end

I started to read the thread but realized it had turned into a Marble debate so I will post my own opinion. Our 2 most highly regarded recruits are sophomores and both are improving significantly as the season progresses. I like what we have coming back and guys like Clemmons (more minutes) and Uthoff (more experience) will take a big step up next season IMO.

The current players returning will be able to compete with anyone in the conference on any given night IMO. I like Gesell, Oglesby, Uthoff, White and Woodbury as the potential starting line-up. I like our bench...Olaseni (a 6th starter IMO), Clemmons and Jok.

I expect at least 1 of the following to contribute...Meyer, Ellingson, Uhl or a player yet to be signed. This is a 9 or 10 player rotation which should compete for a 1st round bye in the BTT...IMO.

I expect at least 1 of the following to contribute...Meyer, Ellingson, Uhl or a player yet to be signed. This is a 9 or 10 player rotation which should compete for a 1st round bye in the BTT...IMO.

agreed. uhl is a safe bet for 10-15min next year

I saw meyer several times in aau, and honestly thought he would be further along after a redshirt year. my posts a couple years ago noted he reminded me of millard -- in the games I saw, he was rebounding well and showed some grit. he hasn't looked like that in limited time this year.

I have a hunch that ellingson may get more pt than meyer next year.

Never said it doesn't hurt the team. Sorry I look at his percentages instead of just points. He has has a few fantastic games but other than that I don't count scoring 21 points while shooting 8-19 a very good game. He shoots 41% from the field which is not worthy of B1G POY. Oglesby shoots a better percentage from 21 ft. out. If you take 20 shots you're due to score 20 points. Idk how you can argue that or the fact that sometimes he is reluctant to give up the ball when people are open. We'e seen it many times this season. In transition as well as in the half court. He drives tries to force it and turns it over. I agree he will be missed because he the one everybody looks to and can create some things but I would like to see somebody get a chance in big time situations. Big time players make big time plays and I haven't seen it out of Marble this year.

Some things you need to consider...

Marble is currently drawing the oppositions best defender. How will Ogelsby and the other hawks do with the other team's best defender and assuming the pressure role of having to be the guy to get a bucket when needed??

I think we can agree he may not shoot the best percent but I think you may be simplifying this whole thing by just using FG%.

agreed. uhl is a safe bet for 10-15min next year

I saw meyer several times in aau, and honestly thought he would be further along after a redshirt year. my posts a couple years ago noted he reminded me of millard -- in the games I saw, he was rebounding well and showed some grit. he hasn't looked like that in limited time this year.

I have a hunch that ellingson may get more pt than meyer next year.

My thinking matches yours on Uhl and Ellingson.

in every clip, no matter who he's playing, ellingson always seems to get a half step on his man

maybe lazy d in aau

maybe the slow feet of tommy cheesehead

or maybe he's one of those clever s.o.b.'s who knows how to work screens and get his shot off

we'll see

You guys are nuts if you think losing Marble won't be devastating. Take Marble and Basabe off the team this year and Iowa is right there with Purdue and Illinois. I'm not trolling just be real folks. Just as losing Kane and Ejim will hurt ISU next season. I actually think Kane is the bigger loss as FH has two stud transfer forwards sitting out this year. Replacing Ejim won't be as difficult, Kane however..

And, did a poster say that Iowa will be fine with what Fran has coming in next year?? LOL. Not sure what to laugh at, the recruit that has no offers from any major conf teams or the recruit who had offers from the likes of South Dakota st. and Oakland. Please.

Some things you need to consider...

Marble is currently drawing the oppositions best defender. How will Ogelsby and the other hawks do with the other team's best defender and assuming the pressure role of having to be the guy to get a bucket when needed??

I think we can agree he may not shoot the best percent but I think you may be simplifying this whole thing by just using FG%.

Okay so why doesn't he pass the ball when needed? I'm not trying to argue that we will miss Marble. I know we will miss Marble I'm just saying I don't think it as much of a deal as people make it out to be.

Gesell: if works on his shot he will be a very very good player.
Oglesby: needs to keep doing what he's been doing and not fall off.
Uthoff: needs to get stronger and become a better ball handler/Work on his hands.
White: needs to work on his handles and jumper.
Woody: NEEDS TO GET MORE BOARDS. Should be over 3 a game easily.
Olaseni: Just needs to calm down and get better at post defense.
Jok: needs to just get used to the speed and improve D.
Clemmons: Idk to be honest. Not turn the ball over? Very good defender.

They all could use a little meanness to em' too/get stronger. Tired of watching them get pushed around for boards and lose balls.

I'm not trolling just be real folks.

And, did a poster say that Iowa will be fine with what Fran has coming in next year?? LOL. Not sure what to laugh at, the recruit that has no offers from any major conf teams or the recruit who had offers from the likes of South Dakota st. and Oakland. Please.

This is most definitely trolling. I look forward to beating you in Carver next year without Marble and with our weak recruits.

You're so smart and know Iowa basketball so well. Please help me out here. Which schools offered Marble, White and Basabe? Fran doesn't count on a recruiting service to tell him who's good. He and his assistants do the work. They evaluate and they sign guys that can play.

Never said it doesn't hurt the team. Sorry I look at his percentages instead of just points. He has has a few fantastic games but other than that I don't count scoring 21 points while shooting 8-19 a very good game. He shoots 41% from the field which is not worthy of B1G POY. Oglesby shoots a better percentage from 21 ft. out. If you take 20 shots you're due to score 20 points. Idk how you can argue that or the fact that sometimes he is reluctant to give up the ball when people are open. We'e seen it many times this season. In transition as well as in the half court. He drives tries to force it and turns it over. I agree he will be missed because he the one everybody looks to and can create some things but I would like to see somebody get a chance in big time situations. Big time players make big time plays and I haven't seen it out of Marble this year.
I keep seeing this "20 shots for 20 points" thing from you. What game are you talking about? Not the Minnesota game I hope. Marble was 8-15 in that game and scored 24 points. You lose.

I keep seeing this "20 shots for 20 points" thing from you. What game are you talking about? Not the Minnesota game I hope. Marble was 8-15 in that game and scored 24 points. You lose.

Many games he has scored 20 and shot 14-19 shots and shot about 35-39/40%. Wasn't even talking about Minnesota. That was a good game that I referred to in an earlier post. He was just 8-19 agaisnt Wisky.

I keep seeing this "20 shots for 20 points" thing from you. What game are you talking about? Not the Minnesota game I hope. Marble was 8-15 in that game and scored 2ts. You lose.

And you're just missing the point that if you have as many points as you have shots that isnt good which Marble has done multiple times this season. Not saying i dont like what he brings. Just saying he can pass up some of those forces and try to get a better look which sometimes he doesn't do.

Marble can be a little bit of a black hole but he also is the only guy who can creates shots (not named Gesell of course.)

Latest posts