This Wisconsin game is probably the most important Iowa game since 2010

I would dust off those guys who started at tackle week 1 and have them check in as eligible receivers and line them up in the traditional TE spot. Fant out wide. Fullback in the game along with a RB. So it would be 3 TEs, a FB and a RB. You run Fant off deep and then dump it off to the RB underneath and let him run it into the endzone. If Fant gets open, great, you throw it deep to him. Wisconsin is gonna send 8 guys after the QB and will be met with a fricking ball wall of blockers and a steady diet of screen passes that go right over their bltizers.
You think he’s going to have time to read an option, though? Not sarcasm, honest question. He’s getting rattled right from the snap lately.

With an immobile guy such as Stanley in an RPO like you mentioned, you have to either commit to the hand off immediately or turtle up if there’s no open receiver. It’s not really an “option” for Stanley because there’s no bailout other than a sack if things go haywire. It’s an all in bet that can end up losing 15 yards of field position. Remember, they’re going to see lots of man coverage from athletic corners and our guys aren’t exactly fast or tall.

Mansell on the other hand, I can see a guy like him making that sort of thing work. Decide against the handoff but can’t find a WR? Bust a move and pick up hopefully as many yards as your RB would have outside the ends.

I guess where I’m going with this is that I don’t think Stanley is a good matchup here. He plays well when he has time, but he’s not going to get much of it with this interior OL unfortunately.

We have a Roethlisberger-style starter and a Russell Wilson-style backup and against Wisconsin (especially with Van Ginkel out) I think it’d be better off if the styles were flipped.

A few thoughts.

First, BYU is better than most fans think. I watched the game, and BYU has some genuine talent, and they play hard.

Second, we simply don't match up well against Wisconsin's defensive scheme. We just don't. My guess is that the coaches have been working on a game plan since last season to attack that 3-4 (that little trip the coaches took to Foxborough probably was all about Wisconsin), but, as Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Lastly, we've got some concerning issues that probably won't magically improve in a week, My biggest concern is the OL. It's hard to put a finger on it, but we just lack "toughness" along the line. We don't have that Scherff, Nelson, Steinbach type. Too many nice passive guys. We are going to have to double Sagapolu, who is a beast, which is going to free up lanes for the LBs. That's going to put tremendous pressure on our young RBs to pick up the blitzes.

We'll play with a ton of emotion to start the game. I'm praying that it will be enough and that the Hawks prove me completely wrong. If we keep running the same ole zone plays, though, we will get completely shut down. Our best bet will be a lot of misdirection: make Wisconsin pay for selling out to attack the zone blocking.

Eppy is returning the heart to Kinnick and there is nothing Wisconsin can do about it. I about choked when someone said 24-6 sconnie. LMAO Iowa defense is legit and you older people should be able to recognize when KF has his team and he does this year. Silly stuff in here guys.

It does feel like the '03 Iowa St game or maybe the 2011 Northwestern game......games you gotta win to prove that their programs hasn't surpassed you.

I was just thinking back to 2004. Badgers rolled into IC looking to lock up a Rose Bowl berth. Some of their fans had the audacity to actually bring roses to the game and their arrogance grew as radios belted out the score of that Michigan-OSU game during various and sundry tailgates out in the parking lots. Wisconsin had the inside track because they didn't play Michigan and had the tiebreaker for some reason.

All the Badgers had to do was take care of little ol Iowa. LOL. Iowa absolutely piss pounded them. Kirk got to hoist the trophy. It was great. The freshman right now were 4 years old when that happened. Should I start drinking Metamucil?
Iowa got on an incredible roll that year. There was the 33-7 pasting of Ohio State (where we knocked their quarterback Justin Zwick out of the game)

Surviving Happy Valley on two field goals, which is possible when you give up only two safeties.

Beating Minnesota when Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber absolutely trucked us, both rushing for well over 100 yards. They were driving for a winning score when Chad Greenway blew up a play and pushed their game winning FG attempt just out of range
(Where was Chip Lowmiller when they needed them)

Then Wisconsin, needing the win to clinch the Rose Bowl like you mentioned. They outgained us and had a huge time of possession advantage, but turned it over seven times. Game, Iowa.

All of this was just a prelude to the Capital One Bowl and the Tate to Holloway heroics. Here's another interesting fact. We hadn't played that bowl before and we haven't played it since.

Iowa got on an incredible roll that year. There was the 33-7 pasting of Ohio State (where we knocked their quarterback Justin Zwick out of the game)

Surviving Happy Valley on two field goals, which is possible when you give up only two safeties.

Beating Minnesota when Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber absolutely trucked us, both rushing for well over 100 yards. They were driving for a winning score when Chad Greenway blew up a play and pushed their game winning FG attempt just out of range
(Where was Chip Lowmiller when they needed them)

Then Wisconsin, needing the win to clinch the Rose Bowl like you mentioned. They outgained us and had a huge time of possession advantage, but turned it over seven times. Game, Iowa.

All of this was just a prelude to the Capital One Bowl and the Tate to Holloway heroics. Here's another interesting fact. We hadn't played that bowl before and we haven't played it since.
Wasn't that Capital One bowl Iowa's last win versus an SEC team? Granted the Florida game was a screw job, but there have been some ugly SEC games bince then. Florida 30-3. The LSU game where LSU's defense was basically a wall at the fitty yard line and of course the Hawkslayer bowl. Ugh.

You think he’s going to have time to read an option, though? Not sarcasm, honest question. He’s getting rattled right from the snap lately.

With an immobile guy such as Stanley in an RPO like you mentioned, you have to either commit to the hand off immediately or turtle up if there’s no open receiver. It’s not really an “option” for Stanley because there’s no bailout other than a sack if things go haywire. It’s an all in bet that can end up losing 15 yards of field position. Remember, they’re going to see lots of man coverage from athletic corners and our guys aren’t exactly fast or tall.

Mansell on the other hand, I can see a guy like him making that sort of thing work. Decide against the handoff but can’t find a WR? Bust a move and pick up hopefully as many yards as your RB would have outside the ends.

I guess where I’m going with this is that I don’t think Stanley is a good matchup here. He plays well when he has time, but he’s not going to get much of it with this interior OL unfortunately.

We have a Roethlisberger-style starter and a Russell Wilson-style backup and against Wisconsin (especially with Van Ginkel out) I think it’d be better off if the styles were flipped.
My play wouldn't be RPO, it would be pure pass all the way. We keep 8 blockers in, send 2 guys in routes. Sargent on a screen or wheel route would be unstoppable, as would Fant against their corner.

It does feel like the '03 Iowa St game or maybe the 2011 Northwestern game......games you gotta win to prove that their programs hasn't surpassed you.
Yep. My point exactly. This is a statement game for Iowa. If we don't win this game, just give the damned west to Wisconsin for the next 4 years unless Frost only needs 3 years to make Nebraska moderately decent again.

Wasn't that Capital One bowl Iowa's last win versus an SEC team? Granted the Florida game was a screw job, but there have been some ugly SEC games bince then. Florida 30-3. The LSU game where LSU's defense was basically a wall at the fitty yard line and of course the Hawkslayer bowl. Ugh.
If Mizzou was not yet in the SEC for the 2010 Insight Bowl the answer is yes.

Wait a minute, scratch that. South Carolina in 2009 Outback Bowl.

If Mizzou was not yet in the SEC for the 2010 Insight Bowl the answer is yes.
I believe they were still in the Big 8 at the time, as I believe we had the privilege of getting spanked by Oklahoma in that same bowl game a few years later because it was a Big 8/Big 10 tie in.

2015 B1G Champ Game in Indy was the biggest in the program's history. I turned to my buddy in the seat next to me in Indy and stated I would probably never again see Iowa this close to the playoffs in my lifetime.

As an aside, the Rose Bowl was nothing more than placating to the old timers who fondly remembered when it meant something. It really didn't and doesn't. It was a nice runner-up prize, which, we crapped the bed in.

My runner-up to the above mentioned tilt was the 09 game @ OSU when KF blew the chance to win on the road and the B1G title. That was our best team I've seen ever. And KF got all cold-feet at the end of the game....I was pretty upset up in the bleeders in Columbus.

(Granted that was before 2010's debacle with Wisky, but it was a pretty significant game)

I havent been a big fan of Iowa's offense but (even though it was UNI) they showed willingness to throw the ball on any down and that's from the coaches. If that continues I believe they will score points on the Badgers. This team is not up to snuff defensively to what we expect from the Badgers. Our D-line will compete with their O-line and hold their running game below their average. I most fear the match-ups with their WR. Horny is a very average QB. If we get to him (and I think Iowa will) he will make mistakes, ala last year. The intangibles are ours, night game, revenge, loud fans. This is the year. Iowa wins by 10.

Hey guys lets just agree on this. This is a huge game Saturday Night. Since we got crushed in the Rose Bowl, and we lost the game to MSU, this is now, the biggest game in awhile if we win!

Hawks beat Steve Superior in the Outback Bowl in 1/1/09.

Latest posts