This Wisconsin game is probably the most important Iowa game since 2010

Is that the 3rd LB they've lost this season? Didn't they lose a couple in training camp?

I don't think he's lost for the season but he had a boot on Saturday after half. They have had a few injuries on the D side of the ball. I can't recall the specifics.

It's huge, but I don't thing Iowa wins this thing.

Chryst is smart enough to learn from Ohio State's mistake of not blitzing (which is the only reason we won), our DE hasn't come close to being tested this year, and Wisconsin is deep enough that' they'll hang in the trenches.

Iowa so far this year has played hugely subpar teams that got tired in the second halves. That's not going to happen Saturday. Stanley gets rattled with the slightest bit of pressure and Wisconsin is going to bring it in spades. With their "hybrid" 3-4 you're going to see a ton of LB and safety blitzes which Stanley proved last year he couldn't deal with and there's no Daniels or Welsh in 2018. On 3rd downs I guarantee you that 3-4 is going to turn into a dime blitz package, and with the struggles the OL has had so far what indication is there that they can handle Wisconsin bringing the house? Fant/Hockenson/Beyer blocking? Take them away and the secondary is left with easy man coverage because the TE threat isn't there.

I know a lot of folks stress the OSU game last year as how the Hawks can throttle ranked teams, but that's total homerism, plain and simple. That game was lost by Ohio State's coaching mistakes and if you don't know enough about football to see it then I don't know what to say; it was staring you in the face for 4 quarters. Ohio State hung back thinking they could leave Stanley alone and play zone and it bit them in the ass.

We can go on and on about what BYU did, but good coaching staffs do two things that average coaching staffs can't master... 1) they learn and exploit their opponents' weaknesses, and 2) they learn from and don't repeat their own mistakes. You're not going to see the team that BYU beat last week.

My prediction is 24-6 Wisconsin but I would love to eat some sweet crow.

Commence with the hate.
Many many variables.Yes....But it would be a huuge confidence builder for players. Set tone??? Progressive GAMEPLAN my dream.Let's Win and offense takes next step. We may never get "progressive gameplan" But I believe at 1:30 am Free Beer Manana.Always. Go Very Tough Hawk Players..PTC N and N.. That's Nate+ our A.A. tight end.

It's huge, but I don't thing Iowa wins this thing.

Chryst is smart enough to learn from Ohio State's mistake of not blitzing (which is the only reason we won), our DE hasn't come close to being tested this year, and Wisconsin is deep enough that' they'll hang in the trenches.

Iowa so far this year has played hugely subpar teams that got tired in the second halves. That's not going to happen Saturday. Stanley gets rattled with the slightest bit of pressure and Wisconsin is going to bring it in spades. With their "hybrid" 3-4 you're going to see a ton of LB and safety blitzes which Stanley proved last year he couldn't deal with and there's no Daniels or Welsh in 2018. On 3rd downs I guarantee you that 3-4 is going to turn into a dime blitz package, and with the struggles the OL has had so far what indication is there that they can handle Wisconsin bringing the house? Fant/Hockenson/Beyer blocking? Take them away and the secondary is left with easy man coverage because the TE threat isn't there.

I know a lot of folks stress the OSU game last year as how the Hawks can throttle ranked teams, but that's total homerism, plain and simple. That game was lost by Ohio State's coaching mistakes and if you don't know enough about football to see it then I don't know what to say; it was staring you in the face for 4 quarters. Ohio State hung back thinking they could leave Stanley alone and play zone and it bit them in the ass.

We can go on and on about what BYU did, but good coaching staffs do two things that average coaching staffs can't master... 1) they learn and exploit their opponents' weaknesses, and 2) they learn from and don't repeat their own mistakes. You're not going to see the team that BYU beat last week.

My prediction is 24-6 Wisconsin but I would love to eat some sweet crow.

Commence with the hate.

Unless Wisconsin is somehow able to bring the guys back on defense from last year (from NFL rosters)...I think this game may be a little different. The other thing is that we are a year older, not coming off an emotional thumping of OSU, and at home. The blitz packages are concerning as they severely disrupted any attempt to pass the ball on offense...and they sat on the running game...and just squeezed us with great corner play.

There is no doubt that Wisconsin is coming in wounded...and a wounded animal is dangerous. That being said, we are in a much, much better position to play Wisconsin than we were last year. If the interior of the line steps up and Banwart is back...this looks like a much better match up for Iowa than last year.

They didn't over look BYU. BYU simply out played and out coached Wisconsin.

Hornibrook isn't good, their O line isn't as advertised, and their D is suspect.

Pretty much agree with ^^^. BYU's Oline of blutos were really pushing Wisky's front 3 and front 5 around. Caught their Lbkrs in seal blocks and had 3 major long runs and several other really good runs.

BYU really slowed down Taylor and Wisky's run game.

Hornibrook cant beat a really good Dee by himself in the passing game.

If hawks stop their run game or slow it way down and get them in 3rd and long I like our chances as long as the Hawks offense can muster OFFENSE and score some, maybe 20 points.

Is Fumagalli still there at Wisky???

Unless Wisconsin is somehow able to bring the guys back on defense from last year (from NFL rosters)...I think this game may be a little different. The other thing is that we are a year older, not coming off an emotional thumping of OSU, and at home. The blitz packages are concerning as they severely disrupted any attempt to pass the ball on offense...and they sat on the running game...and just squeezed us with great corner play.

There is no doubt that Wisconsin is coming in wounded...and a wounded animal is dangerous. That being said, we are in a much, much better position to play Wisconsin than we were last year. If the interior of the line steps up and Banwart is back...this looks like a much better match up for Iowa than last year.
Crack or Chip away at box..Step#1 Noah wide please 2 Badgers on him. Use T.J. much. He never drops ball. Am only a fan.But must attempt to split box.

Wisconsin stole Iowa's mojo on that fake punt in 2010. The trajectories of the two programs completely changed with that one play. Gordon decommitted and Wisconsin went on to push everyone in our division around for years with the exception of the one year they coughed up the ball on the goal line and Iowa won (2015). I believe that if Iowa can win this game, Iowa will become the king of the West for at least 4 out of the next 5 years. This game will have a big impact on recruiting and perception and Iowa simply must win it.

This is the most important game with Wisconsin since the last time Iowa played Wisconsin and before that the time they played Wisconsin and prior to that the Rose Bowl and before that BiG10 championship and before that, the last time Iowa played Wisconsin.

;)

Hornibrook isn't good, their O line isn't as advertised, and their D is suspect.
Hornibrook doesn't have to be any better than just competent. They have the best running back in the nation by a mile. Even their #2 guy has 125 yds and 2 TDs.

Same goes for their OL. If you're going to say they aren't good you'll need to back it up somehow. That's a pretty goddamned stupid statement when they lead the nation in rushing as a team and have the individual leader too...Even if it's because Taylor is awesome, I still fail to see how you're coming up with "isn't as advertised." What in particular are you seeing that makes them underwhelming?

Their D is suspect?

In the B1G Wisconsin is 3rd in Scoring Defense, 3rd in Total Defense, 2nd in Pass Defense, and 1st in Redzone Defense. Are you f*cking high or do you just not watch games? And don't feed us the bullshit line about how they haven't played anyone. Their opponents are 5-4 and ours are 1-6. We played three hot garbage teams and BYU would fold Iowa State up like a lawn chair.

At least when you were logged in as @Joshbrown you made somewhat defensible arguments. This stuff is just laughable. Jesus, man, read your posts before you hit reply.

Pretty much agree with ^^^. BYU's Oline of blutos were really pushing Wisky's front 3 and front 5 around. Caught their Lbkrs in seal blocks and had 3 major long runs and several other really good runs.

BYU really slowed down Taylor and Wisky's run game.

Hornibrook cant beat a really good Dee by himself in the passing game.

If hawks stop their run game or slow it way down and get them in 3rd and long I like our chances as long as the Hawks offense can muster OFFENSE and score some, maybe 20 points.

Is Fumagalli still there at Wisky???
Fumagali is gone.

Many many variables.Yes....But it would be a huuge confidence builder for players. Set tone??? Progressive GAMEPLAN my dream.Let's Win and offense takes next step. We may never get "progressive gameplan" But I believe at 1:30 am Free Beer Manana.Always. Go Very Tough Hawk Players..PTC N and N.. That's Nate+ our A.A. tight end.
Your liver needs a vacation man. 18 Rolling Rocks a day is gonna pickle it.

Your liver needs a vacation man. 18 Rolling Rocks a day is gonna pickle it.
Seriously.Quality Tone Setter for Season.Would help young kids much.Linebackers got potential and Dbacks next step.Hooker I hope all-big and 1 one more steps up big. Miss Brandon S. Blitzer from Hell. Must go forward. Good game to start.

Crack or Chip away at box..Step#1 Noah wide please 2 Badgers on him. Use T.J. much. He never drops ball. Am only a fan.But must attempt to split box.
How then, are you going to pick up Blitz City when it gets dropped? 4 TE sets? Even if you did something dumb like that you'd still be one-on-one with their secondary which isn't going to work out over the long haul.

The only way I could see this game working is if we draw them into zone somehow, and that's only going to happen if their blitz doesn't work and Fant /Hockenson get open across the middle repeatedly. WIth our O-line I don't see that happening. Our receivers aren't particularly athletic, and their corners and safeties are. On top of that Stanley has accuracy issues even when he gets time, let alone with guys breathing down his neck.

All this talk about offense, though, is completely moot, btw. If Talyor gets beyond the line of scrimmage you can forget about it. Look what Barkley did to Jewell/BNiemann/Bower last year, and that was our best LB group in yeeeaaars. If Taylor gets in any kind of space at all I'm afraid Welch/NNiemann/Hockaday are gonna get spanked in the open field. Taylor should be the biggest worry for this game.

How then, are you going to pick up Blitz City when it gets dropped? 4 TE sets?
I would dust off those guys who started at tackle week 1 and have them check in as eligible receivers and line them up in the traditional TE spot. Fant out wide. Fullback in the game along with a RB. So it would be 3 TEs, a FB and a RB. You run Fant off deep and then dump it off to the RB underneath and let him run it into the endzone. If Fant gets open, great, you throw it deep to him. Wisconsin is gonna send 8 guys after the QB and will be met with a fricking ball wall of blockers and a steady diet of screen passes that go right over their bltizers.

Well, Iowa has had to suffer the consequences of injuries in the past. Iowa has left some wins out there because of injuries. I have no sympathy for Badger fans who are saddened by injuries.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is Iowa's motivation to show the bed crapping in Madison last season was an anomaly. Look at the PSU game last season after the year before getting run out of the building in Happy Valley in 2016 and being accused they quit, only to be within inches of a win on a last second TD. Everybody mentions Wisconsin could be coming into Kinnick mad, well maybe Iowa can match that. Players talked throughout the offseason they've circled the Wisconsin game, time to prove it.

Hornibrook doesn't have to be any better than just competent. They have the best running back in the nation by a mile. Even their #2 guy has 125 yds and 2 TDs.

Same goes for their OL. If you're going to say they aren't good you'll need to back it up somehow. That's a pretty goddamned stupid statement when they lead the nation in rushing as a team and have the individual leader too...Even if it's because Taylor is awesome, I still fail to see how you're coming up with "isn't as advertised." What in particular are you seeing that makes them underwhelming?

Their D is suspect?

In the B1G Wisconsin is 3rd in Scoring Defense, 3rd in Total Defense, 2nd in Pass Defense, and 1st in Redzone Defense. Are you f*cking high or do you just not watch games? And don't feed us the bullshit line about how they haven't played anyone. Their opponents are 5-4 and ours are 1-6. We played three hot garbage teams and BYU would fold Iowa State up like a lawn chair.

At least when you were logged in as @Joshbrown you made somewhat defensible arguments. This stuff is just laughable. Jesus, man, read your posts before you hit reply.
And Iowa is 1st in points. 1st in total yards. 2nd in rushing yards. 4th I’m passing yards. 1st in 3rd down D.

I don’t think anyone expects OSU 2017, but I certainly expect at least PSU 2017 and Iowa was a fingertip away from winning. Barkley>>>Taylor and McSorely>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hornibrook.

Also sagarin
NIU- 78
ISU-50
UNI- 86
Schedule rank 62

W Kent- 114
New Mexico- 110
BYU- 61
Schedule rank 107

Team rankings.com SOS
Iowa- 62
Wisconsin-69

No measurable statistic says Wisconsin has had a tougher schedule.

Last edited:

Latest posts