This Wisconsin game is probably the most important Iowa game since 2010

Hornibrook doesn't have to be any better than just competent. They have the best running back in the nation by a mile. Even their #2 guy has 125 yds and 2 TDs.

Same goes for their OL. If you're going to say they aren't good you'll need to back it up somehow. That's a pretty goddamned stupid statement when they lead the nation in rushing as a team and have the individual leader too...Even if it's because Taylor is awesome, I still fail to see how you're coming up with "isn't as advertised." What in particular are you seeing that makes them underwhelming?

Their D is suspect?

In the B1G Wisconsin is 3rd in Scoring Defense, 3rd in Total Defense, 2nd in Pass Defense, and 1st in Redzone Defense. Are you f*cking high or do you just not watch games? And don't feed us the bullshit line about how they haven't played anyone. Their opponents are 5-4 and ours are 1-6. We played three hot garbage teams and BYU would fold Iowa State up like a lawn chair.

At least when you were logged in as @Joshbrown you made somewhat defensible arguments. This stuff is just laughable. Jesus, man, read your posts before you hit reply.

Okay well you believe what you think you see on the field and I'll go off what I saw.

You were wrong about NW and Purdue and you're wrong that this Wisconsin team isn't over hyped which is all I said.

Last edited:
I was just thinking back to 2004. Badgers rolled into IC looking to lock up a Rose Bowl berth. Some of their fans had the audacity to actually bring roses to the game and their arrogance grew as radios belted out the score of that Michigan-OSU game during various and sundry tailgates out in the parking lots. Wisconsin had the inside track because they didn't play Michigan and had the tiebreaker for some reason.

All the Badgers had to do was take care of little ol Iowa. LOL. Iowa absolutely piss pounded them. Kirk got to hoist the trophy. It was great. The freshman right now were 4 years old when that happened. Should I start drinking Metamucil?

And Iowa is 1st in points. 1st in total yards. 2nd in rushing yards. 4th I’m passing yards. 1st in 3rd down D.

I don’t think anyone expects OSU 2017, but I certainly expect at least PSU 2017 and Iowa was a fingertip away from winning. Barkley>>>Taylor and McSorely>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hornibrook.

Also sagarin
NIU- 78
ISU-50
UNI- 86
Schedule rank 62

W Kent- 114
New Mexico- 110
BYU- 61
Schedule rank 107

Team rankings.com SOS
Iowa- 62
Wisconsin-69

No measurable statistic says Wisconsin has had a tougher schedule.
Aren't those stats still heavily influenced by last year? My guess is BYU is better than ISU.

Aren't those stats still heavily influenced by last year? My guess is BYU is better than ISU.
I don’t think they are as it says based on games to date. But BYU May be better. I personally think ISU is pretty good this year and will hang with anyone on their schedule.

Last edited:
It's huge, but I don't thing Iowa wins this thing.

Chryst is smart enough to learn from Ohio State's mistake of not blitzing (which is the only reason we won), our DE hasn't come close to being tested this year, and Wisconsin is deep enough that' they'll hang in the trenches.

Iowa so far this year has played hugely subpar teams that got tired in the second halves. That's not going to happen Saturday. Stanley gets rattled with the slightest bit of pressure and Wisconsin is going to bring it in spades. With their "hybrid" 3-4 you're going to see a ton of LB and safety blitzes which Stanley proved last year he couldn't deal with and there's no Daniels or Welsh in 2018. On 3rd downs I guarantee you that 3-4 is going to turn into a dime blitz package, and with the struggles the OL has had so far what indication is there that they can handle Wisconsin bringing the house? Fant/Hockenson/Beyer blocking? Take them away and the secondary is left with easy man coverage because the TE threat isn't there.

I know a lot of folks stress the OSU game last year as how the Hawks can throttle ranked teams, but that's total homerism, plain and simple. That game was lost by Ohio State's coaching mistakes and if you don't know enough about football to see it then I don't know what to say; it was staring you in the face for 4 quarters. Ohio State hung back thinking they could leave Stanley alone and play zone and it bit them in the ass.

We can go on and on about what BYU did, but good coaching staffs do two things that average coaching staffs can't master... 1) they learn and exploit their opponents' weaknesses, and 2) they learn from and don't repeat their own mistakes. You're not going to see the team that BYU beat last week.

My prediction is 24-6 Wisconsin but I would love to eat some sweet crow.

Commence with the hate.

This game will much more closely resemble the penn state game last year than the Ohio state game. That game was a coin flip by the fourth quarter and this game will be too.

I don’t think they are. But BYU May be better. I personally think ISU is pretty good this year and will hang with anyone on their schedule.

BYU got lucky, they played way above their heads. ISU’s offense, even with Noland at QB can put up some serious offensive production. At a neutral site ISU would be a 7-10 point favorite over the Mormons.

I do think that this game is a tipping point between the Iowa and Wisconsin programs, with the last one being in 2010. I think 2015 was an anomaly, I don't think that anyone would argue that was the top team of the Ferentz era, the schedule was ideal, and the team got better as the year went on. I've had the feeling since before this year started, that 2019 is the year that Iowa is looking to make a run at the B1G Title; no evidence. But maybe it is coming a year early. This defense is looking like a championship D and they are young. Think how far this team is going this year and next if the offense kicks in.

Last edited:
And Iowa is 1st in points. 1st in total yards. 2nd in rushing yards. 4th I’m passing yards. 1st in 3rd down D.

I don’t think anyone expects OSU 2017, but I certainly expect at least PSU 2017 and Iowa was a fingertip away from winning. Barkley>>>Taylor and McSorely>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hornibrook.

Also sagarin
NIU- 78
ISU-50
UNI- 86
Schedule rank 62

W Kent- 114
New Mexico- 110
BYU- 61
Schedule rank 107

Team rankings.com SOS
Iowa- 62
Wisconsin-69

No measurable statistic says Wisconsin has had a tougher schedule.
I never said they had a tougher schedule. I said no one can use the excuse that Wisconsin's D has flourished because of playing cupcakes. Your post actually proves my point.

I've had the feeling since before this year started that 2019 is the year that Iowa is looking to make a run at the B1G Title.
I think '19 will be the year we have that narrow window to actually win the title. This year, we are in a position to contend for the West, but I think we are a bit off from winning the B1G.

Wisconsin stole Iowa's mojo on that fake punt in 2010. The trajectories of the two programs completely changed with that one play. Gordon decommitted and Wisconsin went on to push everyone in our division around for years with the exception of the one year they coughed up the ball on the goal line and Iowa won (2015). I believe that if Iowa can win this game, Iowa will become the king of the West for at least 4 out of the next 5 years. This game will have a big impact on recruiting and perception and Iowa simply must win it.

Ahhhh no. 2015 Championship game. And you think one game really determines 4 out of the next 5? I like it champ, but doubtful

I think we are poised and ready to take Wisconsin down this year. The coaches and players have had this game circled since the day after last years beatdown. Just like BYU had this game circled since their beatdown last year. Offensively, Wisconsin is almost as good as they were last year. But defensely, they are not! Everything runs in cycles and this is our time for a nice 5 year run of our own. Next year Wisconsin loses a lot offensively. But it all starts this year! I can see Iowa winning this one in the neighborhood of 26-20 or 24-23. Move over Wisconsin cause the Bullies are back! We NEED this! We WANT this! We GET this! Go Hawks!

I never said they had a tougher schedule. I said no one can use the excuse that Wisconsin's D has flourished because of playing cupcakes. Your post actually proves my point.
So you compared the records of the opponents just for fun?
They most certainly played 2/3 cupcakes.

Iowa D>>>>> wisconsinD
Iowa O<<<<< Wisconsin O

This game will much more closely resemble the penn state game last year than the Ohio state game. That game was a coin flip by the fourth quarter and this game will be too.
Actually, PSU totally dominated that game everywhere but on the scoreboard. Hawks were fortunate to take the lead late.

Looks like SR LB Van Ginkle is now questionable for the game. That's a pretty big loss if so
He is also an Iowa native, so I believe he will find a way. But if not, who knows what obscure next man would be up, waiting to haunt Iowa with a career game the way so many other obscure football and basketball players have.

How then, are you going to pick up Blitz City when it gets dropped? 4 TE sets? Even if you did something dumb like that you'd still be one-on-one with their secondary which isn't going to work out over the long haul.

The only way I could see this game working is if we draw them into zone somehow, and that's only going to happen if their blitz doesn't work and Fant /Hockenson get open across the middle repeatedly. WIth our O-line I don't see that happening. Our receivers aren't particularly athletic, and their corners and safeties are. On top of that Stanley has accuracy issues even when he gets time, let alone with guys breathing down his neck.

All this talk about offense, though, is completely moot, btw. If Talyor gets beyond the line of scrimmage you can forget about it. Look what Barkley did to Jewell/BNiemann/Bower last year, and that was our best LB group in yeeeaaars. If Taylor gets in any kind of space at all I'm afraid Welch/NNiemann/Hockaday are gonna get spanked in the open field. Taylor should be the biggest worry for this game.
Taiwan Deal, who I think you have mentioned, is no slouch either. And he's completely recovered from the injury that forced him to miss 2017.

I don't think he's lost for the season but he had a boot on Saturday after half. They have had a few injuries on the D side of the ball. I can't recall the specifics.

How about that.....

The BadAssBadgers getting the s*** kicked out of them at Camp Randall by a gang of Mormons while they were ranked in the top ten.....

Overrated punks drop from #6 to #18.....

So Sad

:cool:

Latest posts