This Is The Official "I Hate NIL And The Portal" Thread...

Antrel Anthony also has offers from OU and Pitt. I'm sure Iowa can put together and Informed offer, depends on what he's looking for

Transfer portal background information

The NCAA Transfer Portal, which covers every NCAA sport at the Division I, II and III levels, is a private database with names of student-athletes who wish to transfer. It is not accessible to the public.

The process of entering the portal is done through a school’s compliance office. Once a player provides written notification of an intent to transfer, the office enters the player’s name in the database and everything is off and running. The compliance office has 48 hours to comply with the player’s request and that request cannot be refused.

Once a player’s name shows up in the portal, other schools can contact the player. Players can change their minds at any point and withdraw from the portal. However, once a player enters the portal, the current scholarship no longer has to be honored. In other words, if a player enters the portal but decides to stay, the school is not obligated to provide a scholarship anymore.

The database is a normal database, sortable by a variety of topics, including (of course) sport and name. A player’s individual entry includes basic details such as contact info, whether the player was on scholarship and whether the player is transferring as a graduate student.

A player can ask that a “do not contact” tag be placed on the report. In those instances, the players don’t want to be contacted by schools unless they’ve initiated the communication.

The portal has been around since Oct. 15, 2018 and the new calendar cycle within the portal begins each August. For example, the 2021-22 cycle started Aug. 1. During the 2020-21 cycle, 2,626 FBS football players entered the transfer portal (including walk-ons). That comes after 1,681 entered during the 2019-20 cycle and 1,709 during the abbreviated 2018-19 cycle. In comparison, 1,833 Division I basketball players entered the portal during the 2020-21 cycle after totals of 1,020 in 2019-20 and 1,063 in 2018-19.

This just in

From the Athletic

What's going on at Florida?
In case you missed it, we’re breaking down one of the wilder stories of the NIL era: The curious case of Jaden Rashada. The four-star quarterback signee is in “purgatory,” G. Allen Taylor writes, as the school works to fix an NIL indiscretion. A quick-ish recap:
  • June 26, 2022: Rashada commits to Miami.
  • Nov. 10: Rashada and a Florida donor collective agree on an NIL deal exceeding $13 million, and he flips his commitment to the Gators.
  • Dec. 7: The collective’s CEO sends a termination letter regarding the contract, Taylor reports. There are conflicting accounts about why the deal crumbled and who pledged to pay what.
  • Dec. 21: Coach Billy Napier’s national signing day news conference is delayed 67 minutes. Rashada’s name, initially missing from the list of signees, is added at the last minute.
  • Dec. 29-Jan. 3: Rashada and his family make glowing comments about Napier and indicate the recruit plans to enroll early.
  • Jan. 10: He doesn’t.
One of Taylor’s sources says Rashada won’t be enrolling at Florida. There’s also the potential for litigation, hinging upon whether the November contract is binding. Florida collectives are offering a lesser deal (still above seven figures) — with the caveat that Rashada releases everyone from all previous claims.

Again: We’re talking seven-plus figures for a four-star recruit. Stay tuned!

This just in

From the Athletic

What's going on at Florida?
In case you missed it, we’re breaking down one of the wilder stories of the NIL era: The curious case of Jaden Rashada. The four-star quarterback signee is in “purgatory,” G. Allen Taylor writes, as the school works to fix an NIL indiscretion. A quick-ish recap:
  • June 26, 2022: Rashada commits to Miami.
  • Nov. 10: Rashada and a Florida donor collective agree on an NIL deal exceeding $13 million, and he flips his commitment to the Gators.
  • Dec. 7: The collective’s CEO sends a termination letter regarding the contract, Taylor reports. There are conflicting accounts about why the deal crumbled and who pledged to pay what.
  • Dec. 21: Coach Billy Napier’s national signing day news conference is delayed 67 minutes. Rashada’s name, initially missing from the list of signees, is added at the last minute.
  • Dec. 29-Jan. 3: Rashada and his family make glowing comments about Napier and indicate the recruit plans to enroll early.
  • Jan. 10: He doesn’t.
One of Taylor’s sources says Rashada won’t be enrolling at Florida. There’s also the potential for litigation, hinging upon whether the November contract is binding. Florida collectives are offering a lesser deal (still above seven figures) — with the caveat that Rashada releases everyone from all previous claims.

Again: We’re talking seven-plus figures for a four-star recruit. Stay tuned!
I'm sure that is for multiple years. Great players dont usually stick around for 4 years, sometimes not even 3

After some thought it is my view that the combination of NIL Collectives and the governance of the Transfer Portal is the problem. Separately the two are manageable. Where things begin to fall apart is when NIL is used as an inducement for transfer. What hurts is when a player that has been through the development phase and a season of playing is induced by NIL dollars to transfer. But what to do about it?

Recently the NCAA changed the ability to transfer a second time to require the player to sit out one season. That may help discouraged the job jumper transfers. It doesn't take care of the problem with first time transfers that have been in a program for two years and a fair amount of playing time being induced, openly or behind the scenes, to transfer for NIL $$$$.

Should a poaching program that accepts a first time transfer with 2 year and playing time in a development program be monetarily compensated for the investment made by the development program? As an example should Iowa be compensated by Oregon for the linebacker transfer? Should Iowa compensate Michigan for the QB and Tight End? It would seem the development program should be able to recover the costs for the strength and conditioning as well as dietary assistance.

Somehow there has to be a means to curb the tampering .

If the NCAA decided that a player can only transfer after 2 years, unless released by the team, this would go a long way. They got into a slippery slope with these transfer appeal

If the NCAA decided that a player can only transfer after 2 years, unless released by the team, this would go a long way. They got into a slippery slope with these transfer appeal
Too late for that. They've already established their position as allowing transfers and NIL money. Anything they did to take that back would get them sued into oblivion and they don't want that.

Should a poaching program that accepts a first time transfer with 2 year and playing time in a development program be monetarily compensated for the investment made by the development program? As an example should Iowa be compensated by Oregon for the linebacker transfer? Should Iowa compensate Michigan for the QB and Tight End? It would seem the development program should be able to recover the costs for the strength and conditioning as well as dietary assistance.
That would never happen.

First of all, even if there was some sort of reimbursement required, it wouldn't stop any of this or change anything. These football programs are worth billions of dollars and it'd just be one more little fee tacked on that would be added to the total. Even if the compensation was, say, $100K, that's chump change compared to a lot of these deals.

Make it higher? Like a million dollars, maybe? Good luck trying to prove in court (because you'd definitely get sued) that a football player's training and conditioning cost a million dollars for two years. There's a hundred some football players on a roster every year, are you going to say that it costs $50,000,000 every year for just training and development for a team? No way.

And what are you going to do about guys like Padilla and those type of players? There are FAR more transfers where guys simply can't hack it at their current school, you going to penalize some MAC school for picking up a third string transfer from Iowa? If you do it to one you have to do it to all because how do you decide?

After some thought it is my view that the combination of NIL Collectives and the governance of the Transfer Portal is the problem. Separately the two are manageable. Where things begin to fall apart is when NIL is used as an inducement for transfer. What hurts is when a player that has been through the development phase and a season of playing is induced by NIL dollars to transfer. But what to do about it?

Recently the NCAA changed the ability to transfer a second time to require the player to sit out one season. That may help discouraged the job jumper transfers. It doesn't take care of the problem with first time transfers that have been in a program for two years and a fair amount of playing time being induced, openly or behind the scenes, to transfer for NIL $$$$.

It would be interesting to know the #s of '2nd time transfers' over the past few years, to know if the new NCAA rule change is significant or simply symbolic. One person it would have affected is Charlie Jones, for example. He'd already transferred to Iowa from Buffalo, so under the new guidelines if he transferred to Purdue he would have had to sit-out a year. Doubtful he would have done that. I'm guessing that the new rule will be tested in court and ultimately thrown out -- there's really no rationale for allowing 1 transfer without penalty, but then penalizing the player for a 2nd transfer, especially when it could be easily proven that forcing a player to stay at one place would be harmful to a player's future earning ability. In Jones' case, forcing him to play in Iowa's offensive scheme after his abilities had advanced to what they were could EASILY be proven in a court of law to be detrimental to his future earnings.

To prop up what is arguably one of the worst offensive lines in the B10 two years running, Iowa secured one Div II tackle via the portal.
I will ask the same question I asked before last season....
Do we not bring in OL help because:
a. The coaches do not think we need help on the OL and do not pursue portal talent?
or
b. OL talent in the portal does not have any interest in coming to Iowa?

To prop up what is arguably one of the worst offensive lines in the B10 two years running, Iowa secured one Div II tackle via the portal.
a. The coaches do not think we need help on the OL and do not pursue portal talent?
or
KF is good at spoting hidden talent. Could also mean Iowas O decline has made it more difficult to recruit. If you are good and stand out it will be hard to show your value based on results. You will be targeted. You will not develop to work with teammates. You will not be well coached. You will be playing against stacked Defenses. You will be laughed at. TL played the best position to shine in that environment. Your fear will be of injury and looking stupid.

or
A little of each I think.........

a) Because of their youth they probably will improve this year.....but how much? How did we get in the position of having to rely on that amount of youth? I'll put that one on K. Ferentz for overall assessment of our needs at the OL position. Some insiders have spoke well of our recent OL portal transfer (Div. II) and we do have until May sometime to convert any others........that's on the 3/4 glass full side if you will.

b) I think initial OL recruit interest levels have been OK but what happens after that? I'd be looking at Barnett for the majority of the responsibility. Have you ever compared his resume vs other OL coaches we've been in battle with for recruits recently? Maybe recruits are taking a closer look at the position coach they're working with for the upcoming years........looking beyond the sales pitch. Barnett's experience and successes are limited to other than Power 5. Iowa is his first Power 5 experience in 15 plus year's coaching. Did I mention no NFL connection or his track record thus far at Iowa? What is his track record for developing and sending players to the NFL in his background? I know the answer.

Guess we have to remain patient but I'm also thinking about how stubborn Kirk can be...........no coaching changes on the offensive side? Maybe change is coming, I hope.

5 year postseason ban for any school caught tampering. 3 year postseason ban for any school that has a collective that breaches a NIL contract. That should get the attention of the schools.

Latest posts