This Is The Official "I Hate NIL And The Portal" Thread...

Pinning this because I don't want it to get buried and later have 350+ treatises about the downfall of society and why it's caused by the NCAA transfer portal every time the Hawks lose out or get impacted negatively.

The portal could end up being an equalizer for CFB. In the past, teams like OSU or Alabama would have 2 or 3 four-star QB's, RB's and WR's on the roster. Much of this talent played sparingly, sometimes not at all. But more importantly, it meant the 4* backups were not on a competitors team.
Now, 4* backups can move to another team for playing time. In the long run, this could redistribute top tier talent more evenly.
Teams like Iowa may not be able to get the 4* high school recruits initially, but may be able to pick them up a year or two later, as they sift out of their original programs.

What other sports leagues have essentially unregulated markets? My sense is MLB is lightly regulated, whereas NFL is very rigidly regulated. NBA is somewhere in between. Is that roughly accurate?

Isn't premier league soccer pretty much unregulated?

The portal could end up being an equalizer for CFB. In the past, teams like OSU or Alabama would have 2 or 3 four-star QB's, RB's and WR's on the roster. Much of this talent played sparingly, sometimes not at all. But more importantly, it meant the 4* backups were not on a competitors team.
Now, 4* backups can move to another team for playing time. In the long run, this could redistribute top tier talent more evenly.
Teams like Iowa may not be able to get the 4* high school recruits initially, but may be able to pick them up a year or two later, as they sift out of their original programs.
Interesting. Had not thought of that perspective. Good catch.

This!

I've always worried that if Nivea/All-State/Home Depot money started going to players instead of schools/programs (via TV money) that would be disastrous to other sports in collegiate athletics.

Doesn't look like that's happening with the new TV contracts. And while those contracts are big, are they big enough?

I've seen NIL collective "managers" implying you gotta have a million bucks ready to hand out if you want a top caliber QB. I hear of coaches deploying all the formerly under the table, borderline or outright prohibited recruiting tactics with recruits via boosters.

If that booster/donor money is going in bulk to players now, not programs....athletic departments are going to have cover more of the facility/personnel/etc. costs for football out of their existing budget. Which could mean less money for all the other sports. I don't see coaches salaries going down. It's gonna have to come from somewhere. Or collegiate athletics not named "football" or "basketball" could be in for a rough road.

Absolutely,
My family, despite widely varying opinion, can calmly discuss the third railest of third rails when it comes to "politics" and "social issues" and have very good and respectful converstation.

When it comes to college football, though? We have to push the furniture out of the way and the rumble is on. But, oddly....talking about it last night we all agreed.

The portal will lead to greater parity. Market efficiency. McNamara is better than x% of quarterbacks in college football. His productivity is not left on the bench at Michigan and can be used by another team. That's a big plus to parity. Further efficiency allows teams to replace weak links for more marginal gains. Place kickers, or even smaller links "hey, let's just upgrade the right tackle spot. That kid from Miami of Ohio looks pretty good and looks like a good fit. Better than what we have now."

And the top tier teams are going to see far less activity inbound from the portal. Sure, they might score some breakout superstars (qb/wr/rb). But they're far less likely to have a severely damaged link in their chain at right tackle. Even if they have a bit of a weak link there, there's more than likely someone in the system who's on the cusp of being an answer who will pose as competition for anyone in the portal.

However, I think the parity bump from the portal will be eclipsed by the impact of the NIL money as a whole.

We need to move this down to high school. Get those kids some money in their pockets.

I'm kidding. I think NIL sucks. I don't want NFL in my college sports. Anyhow, time will be the ultimate teller on this new thing.

We need to move this down to high school. Get those kids some money in their pockets.

I'm kidding. I think NIL sucks. I don't want NFL in my college sports. Anyhow, time will be the ultimate teller on this new thing.
Well I think it sucks that you get compensated for making your boss rich, and I think you should make no more than $10,000/year. If you don't like it find a different job.

See how that works.

Well I think it sucks that you get compensated for making your boss rich, and I think you should make no more than $10,000/year. If you don't like it find a different job.

See how that works.
Seems you are a big fan. I'm not. As I said, time will tell. We've all done quite well (fans, universities, students) imo with college sports up till now - we'll see what NIL will do to college sports.

Pinning this because I don't want it to get buried and later have 350+ treatises about the downfall of society and why it's caused by the NCAA transfer portal every time the Hawks lose out or get impacted negatively.

You don't want treatises but you don't say anything about manifestos. **Cracks knuckles**

Seems you are a big fan. I'm not. As I said, time will tell. We've all done quite well (fans, universities, students) imo with college sports up till now - we'll see what NIL will do to college sports.
I wouldn't call it fandom. I'd call it satisfaction that a group of people who were 1) trying hard to be reasonable in the first place and 2) exploited for profit finally stuck it up the ass of the people putting the screws to 'em.

Look at it this way...

Would you--right now--be fine with scrapping this whole NIL thing if college athletes were simply allowed to sign autographs for money, have a sponsorship deal, do some advertising for a little cash, and maybe get a little revenue from jerseys with their name/number on them?

If you answer yes, then the only one you can direct your ire at is Mark Emmert and all of his fat cat stogies in Indianapolis because that's all athletes were asking in the first place.

No, you're completely wrong. It will create more parity among the top 10-ish programs but it will create an even bigger gulf between tier 1 and tier 2.

Let's look at elite quarterbacks in the past few years.

Hunter Johnson - can't miss 5 star, goes to Clemson, ends up at Northwestern. Totally sucks.
Jalen Hurts - gets run out of Alabama by Tua, goes to Oklahoma
Justin Fields - can't beat out Fromm at Georgia, transfers to Ohio, damned near wins a title

The tier 1 teams get a first look, a guy will most likely only end up in the portal if he gets beaten out. For dudes to fall a tier they usually have something wrong with them, like McNamara had knee surgery. That's a risky transfer. Hunter Johnson just flat out sucked.

There will be an incestuous style of sharing players amongst the top echelon, the guys who slide a tier by and large will have been recruiting busts, but in essence now Nick Saban and Ryan Day can now recruit 50 guys a year, have the boosters pay for the guys above the scholarship limit, take a first look, then tell the guys who don't project well to hit the portal. "Sorry pal, Hunter Nissan was paying your tuition through NIL and Bill down there decided not to renew your contract. We wish you luck in all of your future endeavors. You ain't gotta go home but you can't stay here."

I think it is going to make it worse than the days before the 85 scholarship limit. Northwestern is the canary in the coal mine. Fitz is a fantastic coach, but they have been ravaged by the portal and are going to get shredded to the point where they might as well not even have a football program. They are back on their way to the level of suckage they had in the '80's.

I love college football but I'll be shocked if they don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs by 2030 and by the time they get around to trying to fix it the baby boomers will be dead or too old to go to games and if they do manage to fix it they'll be asking "where did all the fans go?"

I believe that unless you are a school in a huge population state with a massive fan base and some booster cash you're gonna get left in the dust.

Proctor aint going anywhere, we could share a beer instead. Even if he did, it doesn't spell some impending doom for the Iowa football program.

We went 7-5 this season and nearly won the division with one of our worst teams in a decade. Guys, the sky is still up there and the cliff is more like a loading dock.
That's really cool that you guys could share a beer, but how do you determine who gets the first sip? Dilly dilly!

I'm sorry, that was stupid, but I just couldn't help myself.

No, you're completely wrong. It will create more parity among the top 10-ish programs but it will create an even bigger gulf between tier 1 and tier 2.

Hunter Johnson - can't miss 5 star, goes to Clemson, ends up at Northwestern. Totally sucks.
Justin Fields - can't beat out Fromm at Georgia, transfers to Ohio, damned near wins a title

The tier 1 teams get a first look, a guy will most likely only end up in the portal if he gets beaten out. For dudes to fall a tier they usually have something wrong with them, like McNamara had knee surgery. That's a risky transfer. Hunter Johnson just flat out sucked.

There will be an incestuous style of sharing players amongst the top echelon, the guys who slide a tier by and large will have been recruiting busts, but in essence now Nick Saban and Ryan Day can now recruit 50 guys a year, have the boosters pay for the guys above the scholarship limit, take a first look, then tell the guys who don't project well to hit the portal. "Sorry pal, Hunter Nissan was paying your tuition through NIL and Bill down there decided not to renew your contract. We wish you luck in all of your future endeavors. You ain't gotta go home but you can't stay here."

I think it is going to make it worse than the days before the 85 scholarship limit. Northwestern is the canary in the coal mine. Fitz is a fantastic coach, but they have been ravaged by the portal and are going to get shredded to the point where they might as well not even have a football program. They are back on their way to the level of suckage they had in the '80's.

I love college football but I'll be shocked if they don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs by 2030 and by the time they get around to trying to fix it the baby boomers will be dead or too old to go to games and if they do manage to fix it they'll be asking "where did all the fans go?"

I believe that unless you are a school in a huge population state with a massive fan base and some booster cash you're gonna get left in the dust.
Battle of the pocketbooks. That's the way I think it will go. Money decides nearly all of it. Fans will be pushed to give and give and give. I just cannot foresee a happy ending. Hope I am wrong.

I agree that it'll be a tiered sort of thing. I do think that programs like Iowa Wisky, MN and middle tierish teams will have more of an opportunity to catch lighting in a bottle for a year or two then before. Teams that are just a RB away or just a couple Dlineman away can now plug spots easier.

Schools like Northwestern and Stanford and others yeah those will probably have a tough time being competitive let alone doing any damage. Ole Fitz might wanna see about moving on. He's still a young coach yet but if he stays there he could be in big trouble in his short term future.