Theo Epstein to Cubs?

The thing is does Epstein stay within the Cub family and try to get Sandberg back or does he go out on his own and try to make the big splash hire right out of the gate?

Do you really think he would make moves like that at the major league level? Asking your cleanup hitter to lay down a bunt with someone that has not done it in years does not make any sense. Working on that in the minors does make sense as even the #4 hitter could get called upon to bunt if they get called up to the major leagues.

That's when you have to find out how much impact smallball has had on his success in the minors. If he's been winning with methods that don't translate to the majors, then how do we have any idea what kind of major league manager he'd be?

The Cubs need to hire Dave Martinez to be the manager for a couple reasons.

One, he's spent the last four years as the Tampa Bay bench coach learning from the best manager in the game. Tampa and Joe Maddon also embrace advanced statistical metrics as much or more than any other team in baseball.

Two, he ****ed Ryne Sandberg's wife, so hiring him should push Sandberg away from the Cubs for good and we won't have to go through this should they hire Sandberg debate every year.

One, he's spent the last four years as the Tampa Bay bench coach learning from the best manager in the game. Tampa and Joe Maddon also embrace advanced statistical metrics as much or more than any other team in baseball.

Two, he ****ed Ryne Sandberg's wife, so hiring him should push Sandberg away from the Cubs for good and we won't have to go through this should they hire Sandberg debate every year.

Guess we know where you stand.

I like the Dave Martinez idea. If not him, hire someone else as manager and let Ryno be the bench coach (#1 assistant if you will) to let him taste the majors and the rebuilding effort doesn't fall on his shoulders.

Go out and get Joe Girardi!

Imagine getting Epstein from the Red Sox and Girardi from the Yankees in the same off season. :D

Also, the rumors of Theo getting Josh Byrnes to join his staff really have me excited. He was one of the guys I would have rather had than Theo and to get them both would be unbelievable.

My opinion is this. I like Quade and don't really see a reson to bring in Sandberg. However, if you are going to make a change at manager it needs to be Ryno.

why?

1. It would make the fan base estatic
2. You don't have money to throw around on big time FAs this year so this hire brings the fans to Wrigley
3. He won't mess up a winning club if he's not a great manager
4. Brining in Girardi or another big name manager isn't going to make this club the next 2 years a winner, but maybe Ryno could. You get a 2 year audition. If he's not good, move on and when the cubs finally have some players and a farm system you get the big name manager.

#4 is like 4, 5 and 5 b.

My opinion is this. I like Quade and don't really see a reson to bring in Sandberg. However, if you are going to make a change at manager it needs to be Ryno.

why?

2. You don't have money to throw around on big time FAs this year so this hire brings the fans to Wrigley
4. Brining in Girardi or another big name manager isn't going to make this club the next 2 years a winner, but maybe Ryno could. You get a 2 year audition. If he's not good, move on and when the cubs finally have some players and a farm system you get the big name manager.

#4 is like 4, 5 and 5 b.
Not bad, but I had to point out that this is why we are Cub fans! :D

Not bad, but I had to point out that this is why we are Cub fans! :D

EXACTLY!

Who would have thought the Cubs would have went after arguably the best GM in the Market? Now they have someone to bring in the talent now they need someone who can manage them. The more I think about it the more I do not like the Sandberg for manager idea. Going out and getting a AAA manager after you just made this big GM splash seems wrong. Go get a Girardi or a LaRussa and hope they want Sandberg on their staff. I think Sandberg would benefit from a couple of years on a big league staff before being handed the reigns of a big league club.

LaRussa? Wow...that won't happen. If you thought it was a stretch to have Jim Edmonds on the Cubs (a Cardinal who hated the Cubs while playing in St. L.) what would it be like around Wrigley if TLR was manager??

Big splash GM hire doesn't necessarily mean there needs to be a big splash managerial hire, though. Epstein *could* leave Quade there for next year as he gets familiar with where the entire Cubs organization is. Sort of like Rickets did with Hendry (in my opinion, not documented). I'm actually not even opposed to Francona coming in.

If it is to be Sandberg, I won't be completely against it. One problem with what Hawkfarmer is saying, in a couple years we can let him go if things aren't working out...if Chicago is going get ecstatic for hiring him and reconciling, how easy is it going to be to let him go if need be? That's the biggest hang up I have about it. But I also don't want to keep the guy from the job if he can take them places.

This is probably very similar to when Sandberg originally came to the Cubs. At the time, my favorite player was Ivan Dejesus. I was heartbroken when they traded him to the Phils for this no name schmuck Ryne Sandberg. So there is something to be said for giving him a chance...but that chance comes without knowing what kind of big league manager he would be.

I have no clue where I stand...but I do know I am happy to be talking Cubs baseball again! We're back!

why?

#4 is like 4, 5 and 5 b.

You may like Quade but make no mistake about it Theo will bring in his own guy even if it's not Ryno.

LaRussa? Wow...that won't happen. If you thought it was a stretch to have Jim Edmonds on the Cubs (a Cardinal who hated the Cubs while playing in St. L.) what would it be like around Wrigley if TLR was manager??

Big splash GM hire doesn't necessarily mean there needs to be a big splash managerial hire, though. Epstein *could* leave Quade there for next year as he gets familiar with where the entire Cubs organization is. Sort of like Rickets did with Hendry (in my opinion, not documented). I'm actually not even opposed to Francona coming in.

If it is to be Sandberg, I won't be completely against it. One problem with what Hawkfarmer is saying, in a couple years we can let him go if things aren't working out...if Chicago is going get ecstatic for hiring him and reconciling, how easy is it going to be to let him go if need be? That's the biggest hang up I have about it. But I also don't want to keep the guy from the job if he can take them places.

This is probably very similar to when Sandberg originally came to the Cubs. At the time, my favorite player was Ivan Dejesus. I was heartbroken when they traded him to the Phils for this no name schmuck Ryne Sandberg. So there is something to be said for giving him a chance...but that chance comes without knowing what kind of big league manager he would be.

I have no clue where I stand...but I do know I am happy to be talking Cubs baseball again! We're back!

If the team doesn't win, it won't be that hard. If Ryno's successor comes in and wins you will be like Ryno who. You're talking about Cubs fans. They want to win. Ridding itself of a manager is part of it and Epstein is more likely to make those choices.

You may like Quade but make no mistake about it Theo will bring in his own guy even if it's not Ryno.

I don't disagree at all. I like Quade but I don't think he'll be around next year, though I think it would be really smart to deal with next year with Quade and then start anew.

If the team doesn't win, it won't be that hard. If Ryno's successor comes in and wins you will be like Ryno who. You're talking about Cubs fans. They want to win. Ridding itself of a manager is part of it and Epstein is more likely to make those choices.

I don't disagree at all. I like Quade but I don't think he'll be around next year, though I think it would be really smart to deal with next year with Quade and then start anew.
See Alan Trammell (Detroit Tigers). His managerial record at Detroit was 186-300. He was a hometown hero and was shown the door. His replacement was/is Jim Leyland.

why?

#4 is like 4, 5 and 5 b.

Yes, Ryno will bring the Cubs a decided schematic advantage which will turn them around despite their talent level.

I don't want Girardi, I don't think he's got that good of a manager. Hiring a manager is not like hiring a football or basketball coach, they really don't make much of a difference. I'd go after Maddon first then Francona assuming him and Theo still get along.

if theo decides that 2012 is a lost cause he may keep quade to fall on the axe. why waste a year of rynos goodwill?

Latest posts