Theo Epstein to Cubs?

In Boston he reports to two people (the owner and the president). In Chicago he'll only report to the owner and will have control over every detail of the club from scouting to advertising. I'm guessing he'll designate the non-baseball operations to someone else.

I'm guessing he's also getting a substantial raise.

So, they'll still be looking for a GM then? Or is he President of Baseball Operations/General Manager?

Highly unlikely. The cubs want him as GM. He'll more than likely do more of that and less of the non-baseball related things and get someone to do that. He will likely have an important assistant GM as well.

Highly unlikely. The cubs want him as GM. He'll more than likely do more of that and less of the non-baseball related things and get someone to do that. He will likely have an important assistant GM as well.

No question that no matter how he does it, he will be very involved in all baseball related activities. I don't think it would be any different if he named someone else GM to work under him, or named himself GM and hired an assistant GM, other than he'd get a better candidate if he offered the GM spot.

No question that no matter how he does it, he will be very involved in all baseball related activities. I don't think it would be any different if he named someone else GM to work under him, or named himself GM and hired an assistant GM, other than he'd get a better candidate if he offered the GM spot.

Epstein=president with great deal of input on baseball-related issues
Friedman=GM

:D

Epstein=president with great deal of input on baseball-related issues
Friedman=GM

:D

Deal!

All kidding aside, I think it depends on what happens with the Boston GM job. If they stay in house with Cherrington, I think Epstein will try to bring someone else over as an assistant GM. If Boston goes outside and hires someone else to be GM (unlikely I think) then I think Epstein offers the GM spot to Cherrington.

Adios Quade (unfortunately)

ESPN was speculating that this might get Ryno in line to get the managerial job. Epstein offered the Pawtucket (AAA) job to Sandberg but he turned it down and took a job in the Phillies organization and led that team to a division crown.

Thoughts on that Farmer?

Last edited:
ESPN was speculating that this might get Ryno in line to get the managerial job. Epstein offered the Pawtucket (AAA) job to Sandberg but he turned it down and took a job in the Phillies organization and let that team to a division crown.

Thoughts on that Farmer?

I really like Sandberg, and if Quade goes, it better be Sandberg. I just really liked Quade. Thought he was a player's manager. Love how he handled the Silva deal, didn't just play him due to the contract. I think he was pretty restricted by injuries and hendry, so I would like to see him get another year, but I can understand Epstein wanting his own guy, so it is what it is.

Either way, the next year or 2 are going to be rough and the farm system needs a bit of an overhaul, so whoever the manager is, will have a lot of "stuff" to deal with.

ESPN was speculating that this might get Ryno in line to get the managerial job. Epstein offered the Pawtucket (AAA) job to Sandberg but he turned it down and took a job in the Phillies organization and let that team to a division crown.

Thoughts on that Farmer?

I think the city of Chicago would go crazy if they didn't give Ryno a shot this time around.

Theo had to understand that when he took this job.

The next 2 moves the Cubs make is Assistant GM and Manager. Both equally important to get this Epstein era off on the right foot. Evans would be a nice choice as Assistant GM and obviously Sandberg has to be the top of everyones list for Manager.

The next 2 moves the Cubs make is Assistant GM and Manager. Both equally important to get this Epstein era off on the right foot. Evans would be a nice choice as Assistant GM and obviously Sandberg has to be the top of everyones list for Manager.
Why obviously? Im still not a big fan

Why obviously? Im still not a big fan

Honestly me neither. But the problem is about 75% of the Cubs fan base has been clamoring for Ryno to be manager for quite some time. Epstein will find a way to get Ryno back into the Cubs organization. He has already tried to hire Ryno once for the Red Sox AAA team.

This is actually the perfect time to hire Sandberg as manager. The team isn't likely to win the next couple of years so if it turns out he's a crappy big league manager, you aren't out anything and you can appease the fanbase at the same time.

In three or four years when the team will hopefully be close to contending you can decide then if Ryno is the man for the job or you need to go out and get someone else.

I haven't been a fan of Sandberg managing, either, and I was a HUGE Ryno fan growing up. One, I just don't want to see his image tarnished if he were to become a scapegoat for poor seasons. Two, I'm not sure his philosophy of small ball jives with Epstein's? Now, I may be speaking way over my head here, I'm not a stat junkie like some of you or other Cub forums I visit. But I have read where Sandberg will bunt his #4 to move runners over, etc. Some say "great, let them play the game the way it is meant to be played", others say "you just can't do that with your biggest bat at the plate." So it becomes a question of philosophy. His records in the minors are pretty good, but do records matter in the minors so much? I guess what he would have going for him is that a lot of the players who would be in the system would know him and he would know their strengths and weaknesses because he coached them. I'm torn. But to say all of Chicago or all Cub fans want him in the manager spot is a stretch.

Honestly me neither. But the problem is about 75% of the Cubs fan base has been clamoring for Ryno to be manager for quite some time.

Granted, Sandberg does actually have SOME managerial experience, but to me, this very similar to many of us throwing out BJ Armstrong's name every time we are making a coaching change in Iowa Basketball..

That said, I don't know much about Sandberg's managing. He might be very good. Just saying - I think people throw out Sandberg's name simply because he was one of the great Cubs players.

It would be great if a Cub could lead us to a World Series title, but how often does that really work out? Bringing back an ex-player to successfully manage the franchise he played for?

Granted, Sandberg does actually have SOME managerial experience, but to me, this very similar to many of us throwing out BJ Armstrong's name every time we are making a coaching change in Iowa Basketball..

That said, I don't know much about Sandberg's managing. He might be very good. Just saying - I think people throw out Sandberg's name simply because he was one of the great Cubs players.

Those two arent even close to the same thing. Sandberg has managed in pretty much every level of the minors and has led his team to some division titles. He was also named his league's manager of the year at least one time and maybe more.

The only thing the BJ and Ryno situations have in common is they both played for the teams that they were or are being mentioned as possible coaches for.

I haven't been a fan of Sandberg managing, either, and I was a HUGE Ryno fan growing up. One, I just don't want to see his image tarnished if he were to become a scapegoat for poor seasons. Two, I'm not sure his philosophy of small ball jives with Epstein's? Now, I may be speaking way over my head here, I'm not a stat junkie like some of you or other Cub forums I visit. But I have read where Sandberg will bunt his #4 to move runners over, etc. Some say "great, let them play the game the way it is meant to be played", others say "you just can't do that with your biggest bat at the plate." So it becomes a question of philosophy. His records in the minors are pretty good, but do records matter in the minors so much? I guess what he would have going for him is that a lot of the players who would be in the system would know him and he would know their strengths and weaknesses because he coached them. I'm torn. But to say all of Chicago or all Cub fans want him in the manager spot is a stretch.

Do you really think he would make moves like that at the major league level? Asking your cleanup hitter to lay down a bunt with someone that has not done it in years does not make any sense. Working on that in the minors does make sense as even the #4 hitter could get called upon to bunt if they get called up to the major leagues.

Latest posts