Theo Epstein to Cubs?

I was more intrigued when Epstein said he may have stayed in Boston if Francona stayed. That may have opened another door there if Quade is not who he wants.

This is another quote about FAs. I think those wishing for Prince or Albert shouldn't hold their breaths due to the contracts they want

“I think baseball players have a prime age, there’s an age range, starting somewhere around 26-27 and ending somewhere around 31-32 in which you get the best bang for your buck with the player,” Epstein pointed out. “If we do our jobs the right way, we’ll have as many players in their primes, hopefully home-grown, impact-type players who are moving into and still in their prime years. That’s the best formula to building a winning baseball club.”

This is another quote about FAs. I think those wishing for Prince or Albert shouldn't hold their breaths due to the contracts they want

“I think baseball players have a prime age, there’s an age range, starting somewhere around 26-27 and ending somewhere around 31-32 in which you get the best bang for your buck with the player,â€￾ Epstein pointed out. “If we do our jobs the right way, we’ll have as many players in their primes, hopefully home-grown, impact-type players who are moving into and still in their prime years. That’s the best formula to building a winning baseball club.â€￾

If Epstein stands by that quote, then that would seem to take Pujols out of play. Fielder... maybe. He's 27.

Regardless, I definitely like that Theo's philosophy seems to be signing fewer players who are past their primes.

I think Fielder is looking for a contract that would take him to 34/35 so that would scare me a bit. Also with his body type I think 30 may be a max

In other managerial news:

Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune wrote this piece a couple days ago, didn't see it mentioned here anywhere. Definitely not holding my breath here, either, but certainly fun to speculate. Some of us have said maybe they let Quade ride out his contract...so who knows? Joe Maddon would then be available at season's end. I guess he (Maddon) came out and said something that might contradict this, though.

Joe Maddon: What if Joe Maddon becomes available? - chicagotribune.com

I'll say it again, this is definitely one of the more exciting times being a Cub fan for this fan anyway.

I personally cannot stand Quade and dont think he develops players at all/and has no discipline. Cubs have a few young guys who are talented but still need direction. Quade cant be shown the door fast enough. If he is manager I have 0 intrigue about.next years team.

Latest posts