The Mythical Recruiting Disadvantage

2009 - Iowa lost to NU 17-10 at Iowa after going up 0-10 until Stanzi got the high ankle sprain. Pretty sure you're talking about 2010, but don't mention that AC wasn't the only DL huffing and puffing because of minimal substitutions that whole season and the fact that AC was hurt, but I am guessing that you didn't read that article where AC said in the interview he had a bum leg all season.

At least if you're going to call him out, do it with actual facts.[/QUOTE]Quickly, and off the top of my head, A. Manning, J. Elway, B. Jackson, T. Dorsett, L. Swann, J. Namath, J. Theisman, J. Montana, (that number, sigh, is more than all of Hawkeyes during KF's reign) J. Rice, C. Woodson, D. Sanders, ... you want me to go on????

Last edited:
Come in guys, let this argument go already. Is it harder to recruit at iowa than Alabama? Yes. Is it easier to recruit at Iowa than Indiana and purdont? Yes (typically/ historically). Has Iowa gotten lots and lots of good players in our history? Have we produced countless all Americans? Yes. Have we also had times and players that were not all Americans? Yes. Sometimes we get them, sometimes we don't. Next story

It's hard to let this thread go when there are, IMO, so many excuse makers. And if you paid any attention to that game, the NW game in 2010 (I got it wrong, was 2010, not 2009), you noticed all of Iowa's D line was huffing and puffing in the second half (when they weren't all being sent to the side line for oxygen).

Last edited:
Nebraska does have that tradition. They built that tradition on the backs of criminals, partial qualifiers, and rule bending that Osbourne perfected in the 70's and 80's. Nebraska had many of the same disadvantages as Iowa does, but because they were a glorified trucking school in the Big 8, rather than a legitimate educational institution in the Big 10, they were able to build a dirty tradition in a way that Iowa was not.

I would prefer, when discussing Iowa's recruiting disadvantages, that we stop comparing ourselves to Nebraska, because that is an apple-oranges discussion right there.

Nebraska built alot of their tradition on their walk-on program. Pretty hard to bend the rules when guys come to camp and earn it. Osborne ran a clean program anyone who thinks differently is simply a jealous Hater....

2009 - Iowa lost to NU 17-10 at Iowa after going up 0-10 until Stanzi got the high ankle sprain. Pretty sure you're talking about 2010, but don't mention that AC wasn't the only DL huffing and puffing because of minimal substitutions that whole season and the fact that AC was hurt, but I am guessing that you didn't read that article where AC said in the interview he had a bum leg all season.

At least if you're going to call him out, do it with actual facts.
Quickly, and off the top of my head, A. Manning, J. Elway, B. Jackson, T. Dorsett, L. Swann, J. Namath, J. Theisman, J. Montana, (that number, sigh, is more than all of Hawkeyes during KF's reign) J. Rice, C. Woodson, D. Sanders, ... you want me to go on????[/QUOTE]

What the hell do anything of those players have to do with KF and his system?

Nebraska built alot of their tradition on their walk-on program. Pretty hard to bend the rules when guys come to camp and earn it. Osborne ran a clean program anyone who thinks differently is simply a jealous Hater....

Pretty sure HomerChapless would disagree with you, he seems to believe that Nebraska recruited "blue chippers" off the farm.

No breakaway speed, couldn't catch the pass. It's evident in the NFL.

If you go back to '08 and Iowa didn't have Shonn Greene, that team was a 6-6 team at best. You seem to think game-changer is only relevant at the NFL level. Not to mention the fact that Shonn Greene wasn't relied upon to catch passes out of the backfield. He was asked to run over people and he did that very, very well.

I seem to remember at least one team photo with a player giving his gang sign.

Why would you say that? Do you think I'm irrational? 'Cause I think some Iowa 'fans' are.

Clearly your irrational, I asked pages ago for you to provide who these "blue-chippers" were that Nebraska recruited during that time period, you didn't respond. Clearly you're just making crap up.

With that said, please, please try to make a relevant point instead of spewing non-sense just to fill the thread up.

At least if you're going to call him out, do it with actual facts.
Quickly, and off the top of my head, A. Manning, J. Elway, B. Jackson, T. Dorsett, L. Swann, J. Namath, J. Theisman, J. Montana, (that number, sigh, is more than all of Hawkeyes during KF's reign) J. Rice, C. Woodson, D. Sanders, ... you want me to go on????[/QUOTE] I posted the bottom, but not the top in bold... I know it says Homer, but I didn't post. I was responding to the top, bold, post with my bottom post.

Quickly, and off the top of my head, A. Manning, J. Elway, B. Jackson, T. Dorsett, L. Swann, J. Namath, J. Theisman, J. Montana, (that number, sigh, is more than all of Hawkeyes during KF's reign) J. Rice, C. Woodson, D. Sanders, ... you want me to go on????
I posted the bottom, but not the top in bold... I know it says Homer, but I didn't post. I was responding to the top, bold, post with my bottom post.[/QUOTE]

None, absolutely none of the players you mentioned have anything to with KF or his system. It is merely your OPINION that those players wouldn't have been a game changer in the KF system. It isn't reality or can it be proven, therefore it is an opinion.

Quickly, and off the top of my head, A. Manning, J. Elway, B. Jackson, T. Dorsett, L. Swann, J. Namath, J. Theisman, J. Montana, (that number, sigh, is more than all of Hawkeyes during KF's reign) J. Rice, C. Woodson, D. Sanders, ... you want me to go on????
I posted the bottom, but not the top in bold... I know it says Homer, but I didn't post. I was responding to the top, bold, post with my bottom post.[/QUOTE]

You are comparing Iowa vs all of CFB in those names..... like that isn't gonna be lopsided

not only that, he's listing future NFL hall of famers. lol, if the overused cliche of "comparing apples to oranges" was ever relevant, this would be that scenario.

i'm officially ignoring you. it takes a lot for me to do that(i've gotten into it with freed and haven't blocked him) but you're officially off your rocker and completely delusional.

but i will send a memo to KF to remind him to recruit future NFL hall of famers

Nebraska does have that tradition. They built that tradition on the backs of criminals, partial qualifiers, and rule bending that Osbourne perfected in the 70's and 80's. Nebraska had many of the same disadvantages as Iowa does, but because they were a glorified trucking school in the Big 8, rather than a legitimate educational institution in the Big 10, they were able to build a dirty tradition in a way that Iowa was not.

I would prefer, when discussing Iowa's recruiting disadvantages, that we stop comparing ourselves to Nebraska, because that is an apple-oranges discussion right there.

Come on. Facts and logic have no place in this forum, sir!

Woodyk1...I'm glad you think Adrian Clayborn was a game changer. I'd say Robert Gallery was more of a consistent game changer in KF's system than Clayborn... I'm also saying Clayborn was a game changer at times. I'd also say, since you've had to scratch your head real hard to come up with 3-4 possible game changers (almost all of them not Hawkeyes) who were TEs, DE's, or OL's compared to 25+ examples of game changers I can come up with at the, IMO, traditional game changer positions of DBs, QBs, and WRs (also almost all not Hawkeyes because of KF's system), I'd guess you just want to argue. Since you just want to argue, there's nothing I can post that will prevent you from arguing. So argue. BTW, why don't you post the YouTube of Adrian Clayborn (if there is one) huffing and puffing while trying to defend Northwestern's no-huddle offense in 2010? I'd say Northwestern's no-huddle was a game changer in the win vs. Iowa in 2010, and Clayborn was not.... neither was Norm. Don't want to belabor this point more, but I will: Iowa's RBs (in KF's system), IMO, aren't game changers either, and I would add RBs to the list of traditional game changers. One like you, woody, will probably argue that Shon Greene is a game changer, but he's not much against a high caliber of talent.

Adrian Clayborn may not have been the game changer as much as Gallery, but you said Clowney 'would never be given the ability to change a game in KF's system. ' Well, here's what he did, just in 2010 ...

2010 Honors - - Consensus All-American . . . first team All-American by AFCA and Walter Camp . . . third team All-America by Associated Press and Phil Steele's College Football . . . honorable mention All-America by Pro Football Weekly . . . first team all-Big Ten by league coaches and media and Phil Steele's College Football . . . selected to compete in 2011 Senior Bowl . . . one of four finalists for Rotary Lombardi Award . . . one of six finalists for Ted Hendricks Award . . . one of 16 semifinalists for Chuck Bednarik Award . . . Permanent Team Captain, Defense . . . Hayden Fry "Extra Heartbeat" Award . . . named Big Ten defensive Player of the Week for his play in 24-3 win over Penn State . . . honorable mention Defensive Performer of the Week vs. Penn State by College Football Performance Awards.

As for Shonn Greene, thanks for bringing him up. For this discussion, it only matters what he did at Iowa, not in the NFL. Here's what he did ... (the 1st award being the best RB in the nation). If you don't see that as a game changer, that's your opinion.

2008 Honors - - Earned Doak Walker Award as nation's best running back . . . Chicago Tribune Silver Football recipient as Big Ten's Most Valuable Player . . . Most Valuable Player in Iowa's 31-10 Outback Bowl win over South Carolina . . . Most Valuable Player, offense . . . Permanent Team Captain, offense . . . Big Ten Conference offensive Player of the Year by league coaches and media and the Sporting News . . . first team all-American by Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America, Walter Camp Foundation, American Football Coaches Association, Phil Steele's College Football, the Sporting News, ESPN.com, SI.com and Rivals.com . . . first team all-Big Ten by league coaches and media . . . mid-season all-American by The Sporting News . . . Rivals.com national Player of the Week vs. Penn State . . . Big Ten offensive Player of the Week vs. Purdue and Wisconsin.

Latest posts