The Mythical Recruiting Disadvantage

Nebraska built alot of their tradition on their walk-on program. Pretty hard to bend the rules when guys come to camp and earn it. Osborne ran a clean program anyone who thinks differently is simply a jealous Hater....
Ha ha ha, oh you!

Please go away when adults are talking. Thanks!

Nebraska built their program on partial/non qualifiers, walk ons, and social risks ( ie Lawrence Phillips). Osborne made no secret of the fact he wanted to be able to take large numbers of prop 48 kids.

If you go back to '08 and Iowa didn't have Shonn Greene, that team was a 6-6 team at best. You seem to think game-changer is only relevant at the NFL level. Not to mention the fact that Shonn Greene wasn't relied upon to catch passes out of the backfield. He was asked to run over people and he did that very, very well.
Does that mean I was a game changer in Little All American Football, 'cause I had a 9 yd./carry average? Game changer means a game changer... in the highest possible environment.

Does that mean I was a game changer in Little All American Football, 'cause I had a 9 yd./carry average? Game changer means a game changer... in the highest possible environment.

Yes, I am sure your coaches back then were glad they had you on that team. That team, that season, you appeared to be a game changer with 9 yards per carry. To not be a game changer would to assume that anyone could have done what you did. In some people's opinion anyone would have put up SG type numbers that year with that OL but I disagree.

Whose attitude? Kirk's, the Administration's, or the fans'? Just curious.

The fans. I'm guessing that many Iowa fans would characterize Nebraska fans as crazy, or dare I say it, fanatical, but it's our desire to see our team win on the national scale that has driven Nebraska to their championships. It's why, even averaging 9 wins a season, Bo is receiving heat. Most places would be very happy with Bo's record, but at Nebraska people are wondering if he's going to make it over the hump.

The Iowa fans I've talked to, and the impression that I get from this board is that Iowa is never going to compete consistently with the likes of Michigan and Ohio State. That needs to change. Because of the B1G, Iowa brings in plenty of coin, and it's shown that it's willing to pay for a coach. :) Iowa not only needs to look past Michigan, Ohio State (and Nebraska :) ) but towards LSU and Alabama right now and figure out, legally and ethically, how to beat them.

Quick question - as a Nebraska fan, I acknowledge that NU garnered a lot of talent through partial qualifiers. It was legal and acceptable through the Big 8. My question, has the B1G always had a rule against them? I'm assuming so but want to be sure.

Nebraska built their program on partial/non qualifiers, walk ons, and social risks ( ie Lawrence Phillips). Osborne made no secret of the fact he wanted to be able to take large numbers of prop 48 kids.

I remember when a lot of hawkeyes were getting the old cuff N stuff on a regular. Phillips was a foster Kidd who Osborne gave a chance and got burnt. After he was suspended he never started another game (but played) ahman green started the rest of season except fiesta bowl.

I remember when a lot of hawkeyes were getting the old cuff N stuff on a regular. Phillips was a foster Kidd who Osborne gave a chance and got burnt. After he was suspended he never started another game (but played) ahman green started the rest of season except fiesta bowl.
HAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, he threw his girlfriend down the stairs, but they only let him start the Fiesta Bowl!

Haters gonna hate I guess...... keep hanging on to an incident that happened almost 20yrs ago. While 3-4 years ago you guys were the most arrested team in the country........ cool..... ya hypocrite.

The fans. I'm guessing that many Iowa fans would characterize Nebraska fans as crazy, or dare I say it, fanatical, but it's our desire to see our team win on the national scale that has driven Nebraska to their championships. It's why, even averaging 9 wins a season, Bo is receiving heat. Most places would be very happy with Bo's record, but at Nebraska people are wondering if he's going to make it over the hump.

The Iowa fans I've talked to, and the impression that I get from this board is that Iowa is never going to compete consistently with the likes of Michigan and Ohio State. That needs to change. Because of the B1G, Iowa brings in plenty of coin, and it's shown that it's willing to pay for a coach. :) Iowa not only needs to look past Michigan, Ohio State (and Nebraska :) ) but towards LSU and Alabama right now and figure out, legally and ethically, how to beat them.

Quick question - as a Nebraska fan, I acknowledge that NU garnered a lot of talent through partial qualifiers. It was legal and acceptable through the Big 8. My question, has the B1G always had a rule against them? I'm assuming so but want to be sure.
There's something Iowa uses right now... It's called grey shirting... where a student comes to the program on his own dime and if he's good enough, well, there's a scholarship for him, maybe, next season, or when a scholarship opens up . Far as I know right now, Iowa doesn't do any 'scholly stuffing' like a lot of the schools in the SEC.

Last edited:
Haters gonna hate I guess...... keep hanging on to an incident that happened almost 20yrs ago. While 3-4 years ago you guys were the most arrested team in the country........ cool..... ya hypocrite.
Actually, it proves the point I was trying to make the whole time. Yeah, Iowa had players arrested, no one's denying that. However, Kirk does not slap their wrist and toss them back on the field like Nebraska did. I remember Osbourne saying kicking Phillips off the team would be more harm than good! Can you imagine if Ferentz said the same thing about Sattersfield?

Of course not, since Kirk is a decent and classy guy who runs his program the right way.

Actually, it proves the point I was trying to make the whole time. Yeah, Iowa had players arrested, no one's denying that. However, Kirk does not slap their wrist and toss them back on the field like Nebraska did. I remember Osbourne saying kicking Phillips off the team would be more harm than good! Can you imagine if Ferentz said the same thing about Sattersfield?

Of course not, since Kirk is a decent and classy guy who runs his program the right way.

Should point out that LP was suspended for 6 games (half the season). While, in hindsight, he should have been gone, it's more than a slap on the wrist.

Also should point out that Osborne wanted to kick him off the team, but was talked out of it by the team psychiatrist - that's where the whole 'needing the structure of football' and such came from.

But it is funny that charges are being tossed out that NU's dominance was built on criminals, and the only one listed so far is Phillips. Iowa fans should be proud that Kirk is running his program the right way - I think the angst, though, is where it always falls to - Ws and Ls.

(Oh, and just to put this in here - Pelini kicked 2 players off of the team just a few weeks ago because of reasons that included one guy taking a bottle and smashing it on another player's head. How's that for running his program the right way?)

Latest posts