The Mythical Recruiting Disadvantage

Need to do a better job of getting kids better coaches in Des Moines metro (and I think everyone knows what I mean). The metro schools are horrible, and they don't produce talent. Yes, Iowa is small, but you don't do a good job of producing out of your largest base.

Nebraska stayed dominant because they would get their lineman from farms (both Nebraska and Iowa) and their RBs from Omaha. Iowa needs to do something similar.
Nebraska doesn't have to compete against a Nebraska State university for local kids.

Nebraska doesn't have to compete against a Nebraska State university for local kids.
Iowa has a disadvantage compared to Nebraska in recruiting blue chippers 'cause there's no state school in Nebby... Wah. How does Iowa fare with other factors that might determine recruiting blue chippers? For example, do you think Nebraska has as much a chance with an aspiring blue chip offensive lineman who wants to go pro as Iowa? For crying out loud, the glass is half full....

Last edited:
you took all that from my post. dude...relax. My primary point is that Iowa DOES have a recruiting disadvantage to top schools(yes, for many reasons....not all the same for the same schools). If you don't agree that's fine...doesn't make it any less fact.

the whole "strawman argument" line is soooooo overused on this sight.
So is the alt argument. Still not sure why accusing someone of having an alt has any significance.

Iowa has a disadvantage compared to Nebraska in recruiting blue chippers 'cause there's no state school in Nebby... Wah. How does Iowa fare with other factors that might determine recruiting blue chippers? For example, do you think Nebraska has as much a chance with an aspiring blue chip offensive lineman who wants to go pro as Iowa? For crying out loud, the glass is half full....
Nebraska does have that tradition. They built that tradition on the backs of criminals, partial qualifiers, and rule bending that Osbourne perfected in the 70's and 80's. Nebraska had many of the same disadvantages as Iowa does, but because they were a glorified trucking school in the Big 8, rather than a legitimate educational institution in the Big 10, they were able to build a dirty tradition in a way that Iowa was not.

I would prefer, when discussing Iowa's recruiting disadvantages, that we stop comparing ourselves to Nebraska, because that is an apple-oranges discussion right there.

Is Iowa at a geographical disadvantage? Yes, to a certain extent, but not as much as others. Is Iowa at a disadvantage when it comes to tradition? Yes, to maybe 15 other schools. But you know what overcomes all these so called disadvantages? WINNING CONSISTENTLY!!!!!! Don't complain about disadvantages when they can be overcome. All those so called disadvantages are like excuses, and we all know what excuses are like. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Ahhh the ol chicken and the egg! Win more consistently get better recruits bit can't win more consistently without getting better recruits.

Ahhh the ol chicken and the egg! Win more consistently get better recruits bit can't win more consistently without getting better recruits.

At the moment, Iowa is an also-ran in a bad football conference. My guess is that the SEC got as most of the top midwest recruits as the rest of the Bigten that OSU/Michigan didn't get. The league as a whole is not viewed as a good place to play for top talent.

I think I've already posted this: linebackers and DEs aren't game changers. Game changers change games and play makers make plays. A game changer is also a play maker. And certainly in Iowa's defensive scheme under KF, no one player is a game changer. No, KF wouldn't allow that.

Jared Allen...NFL I know, but you are honestly saying that all the pressure he puts on an opposing team's QB doesn't CHANGE THE GAME??? My goodness.

Clay Matthews at Green Bay. LB. Game Changer.

Jadaveon Clowney. Game Changer.

The one piece that you said which makes sense is 'in Iowa's defensive scheme under KF'.

Nebraska does have that tradition. They built that tradition on the backs of criminals, partial qualifiers, and rule bending that Osbourne perfected in the 70's and 80's. Nebraska had many of the same disadvantages as Iowa does, but because they were a glorified trucking school in the Big 8, rather than a legitimate educational institution in the Big 10, they were able to build a dirty tradition in a way that Iowa was not.

I would prefer, when discussing Iowa's recruiting disadvantages, that we stop comparing ourselves to Nebraska, because that is an apple-oranges discussion right there.

Please give examples of the 'criminals' (minus LP) and 'rule bending that Osborne perfected' - this should be interesting..... And as far as LP - he wasn't even needed that year.

The fact of the matter is that there are recruiting disadvantages - for both Iowa and NU. NU chooses to try to overcome them by recruiting nationally. In the past they benefitted from having a unique offensive system that they recruited to.

And, most importantly, they win at a consistent rate. The biggest thing holding Iowa back is attitude.

Jared Allen...NFL I know, but you are honestly saying that all the pressure he puts on an opposing team's QB doesn't CHANGE THE GAME??? My goodness.

The one piece that you said which makes sense is 'in Iowa's defensive scheme under KF'.

There are plenty of "game changer" examples at IOWA too.

Bob Sanders
Brad Banks
Drew Tate
Shonn Greene to name a few.

None of those seasons/teams would have nearly what they were without those players.

Please enlighten the rest of us as to the number of OL blue-chippers recruited out of HS that lived in Nebraska during the '70's and '80's. If they weren't highly recruited, they weren't blue-chippers. Just because Nebraska had good in-state OL then doesn't make their players blue-chippers out of HS.

At the moment, Iowa is an also-ran in a bad football conference. My guess is that the SEC got as most of the top midwest recruits as the rest of the Bigten that OSU/Michigan didn't get. The league as a whole is not viewed as a good place to play for top talent.

So now being in the B1G is a recruiting disadvantage too? Then perhaps we should just scrap the Iowa football program.

So now being in the B1G is a recruiting disadvantage too? Then perhaps we should just scrap the Iowa football program.
Have you looked at team recruiting rankings over the past 4-5 years? I don't have any idea of what you mean by "we" in the scrapping of the FB program.

The "we" is the University of Iowa. If we are at such a disadvantage geographically, racially, population, climate, conference alignment etc... then why even try to compete? End the program and lets focus the money on basketball and the Hospital.

Otherwise, I'm tired of the excuses of why we can't compete. If we are putting a team out on the field let's all assume we are playing because we think we can win regardless of the circumstances (real or imagined).

Rember, for example, J. Clowney, etc., would never be given the ability to change a game in KF's system. In KF's system, no one is above the system. Talk about comparing apples to oranges... and recruiting blue chippers compared to not recruiting blue chippers....

Please give examples of the 'criminals' (minus LP) and 'rule bending that Osborne perfected' - this should be interesting..... And as far as LP - he wasn't even needed that year.

The fact of the matter is that there are recruiting disadvantages - for both Iowa and NU. NU chooses to try to overcome them by recruiting nationally. In the past they benefitted from having a unique offensive system that they recruited to.

And, most importantly, they win at a consistent rate. The biggest thing holding Iowa back is attitude.
Whose attitude? Kirk's, the Administration's, or the fans'? Just curious.

More population in Iowa than Nebby. They had to go national a long time ago, although that advantage has somewhat been reduced. I'm curios about attitude as well. Please elaborate.

Woodyk1...I'm glad you think Adrian Clayborn was a game changer. I'd say Robert Gallery was more of a consistent game changer in KF's system than Clayborn... I'm also saying Clayborn was a game changer at times. I'd also say, since you've had to scratch your head real hard to come up with 3-4 possible game changers (almost all of them not Hawkeyes) who were TEs, DE's, or OL's compared to 25+ examples of game changers I can come up with at the, IMO, traditional game changer positions of DBs, QBs, and WRs (also almost all not Hawkeyes because of KF's system), I'd guess you just want to argue. Since you just want to argue, there's nothing I can post that will prevent you from arguing. So argue. BTW, why don't you post the YouTube of Adrian Clayborn (if there is one) huffing and puffing while trying to defend Northwestern's no-huddle offense in 2010? I'd say Northwestern's no-huddle was a game changer in the win vs. Iowa in 2010, and Clayborn was not.... neither was Norm. Don't want to belabor this point more, but I will: Iowa's RBs (in KF's system), IMO, aren't game changers either, and I would add RBs to the list of traditional game changers. One like you, woody, will probably argue that Shon Greene is a game changer, but he's not much against a high caliber of talent.

Last edited:
Woodyk1...I'm glad you think Adrian Clayborn was a game changer. I'd say Robert Gallery was more of a consistent game changer in KF's system than Clayborn... I'm also saying Clayborn was a game changer at times. I'd also say, since you've had to scratch your head real hard to come up with 3-4 possible game changers (almost all of them not Hawkeyes) who were TEs, DE's, or OL's compared to 25+ examples of game changers I can come up with at the, IMO, traditional game changer positions of DBs, QBs, and WRs (also almost all not Hawkeyes because of KF's system), I'd guess you just want to argue. Since you just want to argue, there's nothing I can post that will prevent you from arguing. So argue. BTW, why don't you post the YouTube of Adrian Clayborn (if there is one) huffing and puffing while trying to defend Northwestern's no-huddle offense in 2009? I'd say Northwestern's no-huddle was a game changer in the win vs. Iowa in 2009, and Clayborn was not.... neither was Norm.

Where did you provide 25 examples of possible game changers but weren't true game changers because of KF's system?

Pretty sure both of you are arguing,don't call Woodyk1 out when you're doing the same thing, that is what message boards are about - arguing.

2009 - Iowa lost to NU 17-10 at Iowa after going up 0-10 until Stanzi got the high ankle sprain. Pretty sure you're talking about 2010, but don't mention that AC wasn't the only DL huffing and puffing because of minimal substitutions that whole season and the fact that AC was hurt, but I am guessing that you didn't read that article where AC said in the interview he had a bum leg all season.

At least if you're going to call him out, do it with actual facts.

Latest posts