The List: My Two Thru Five & More

I would rather have an assistant (Forbes) than Stallings, his record reminds of Mr. Davis, never winning a Conference title in the SEC. Mr. Davis had a great personality, Stallings does not have that reputation. I think his ship has passed.

Jon, why all the love for Pearl and why would he want to come here.I think getting Keno would be a big mistake(he's not his dad).I'm not sure who we should get but they need to be able to recruit the inner cities and have teams that can score more than 40 pts a game.

Shocked that Forbes wasn't on your list. Recruiter who has a lot of big time asst experierence and IA would be a destination. Thought he should be on the list. Otherwise, if your list told me anything it is that there are ALOT of possible upgrades out there. :)

Shocked that Forbes wasn't on your list. Recruiter who has a lot of big time asst experierence and IA would be a destination. Thought he should be on the list. Otherwise, if your list told me anything it is that there are ALOT of possible upgrades out there. :)

Forbes has never been a head coach.

Where is Lon Kruger on your list Jon? I posted a thread "Hire Long Kruger" that shows his track record. Bruce is not coming, get over it. No one on your list compares to what Kruger has accomplished. Your picks are an "I think they can get it done" list. Kruger is an "I know he will get it done" pick. How does that not make sense?

Where is Lon Kruger on your list Jon? I posted a thread "Hire Long Kruger" that shows his track record. Bruce is not coming, get over it. No one on your list compares to what Kruger has accomplished. Your picks are an "I think they can get it done" list. Kruger is an "I know he will get it done" pick. How does that not make sense?

He's not on it, as you saw. Sorry I did not validate your feelings :) This is just my list, for my rationale.

I am siding with Lute Olson and the recruiting gurus in wanting Josh Pastner.

I have liked Josh Pastner and Buzz Williams, The Travis Ford idea is interesting as well. He seems grounded in the South, do you think he would be interested?

Not to harp on the Forbes idea, but he is a strong recruiter with the Pearl/Iowa connection. I agree on the lack of coaching experience, but what about a strong former head man(maybe a Kirk Speraw) to be his #1 asst. Do you think a scenario like that would work? Just tossing that idea out.

I'm torn on your list 2-5.

It took Drew 5 years to rebuild Baylor, why could he do it quicker at Iowa? He really stepped up his recruiting the last 2 years, that would be year 3. same year Lick stepped it up a bit.

Williams and Pastner, I look at the names of the schools and I see 2 teams I can't say when they weren't in the tourney. Constently relevant before either coach was there and could be recruiting well because they are relevant. and this "he will play up tempo once he re-establishes talent pool." really makes me nervous about Williams since I doubt fans will be willing to sacrifice another 3 years of slow ball to finally pick it up in year 4.

Keno's big knock is he has only been a HC for 3 years.

for some reason I feel the list leaves something to be desired. Pearl is my number 1 but outside of that I see only fog. I was really torn on Keno but I think he is starting to become my #2.

He's not on it, as you saw. Sorry I did not validate your feelings :) This is just my list, for my rationale.

Well my feelings are the last feelings that should be anyones concerns. I know everyone has a list I agree with what you said on the show. "its just your list, not Barta's." But we all have lists. I look at my list of ten and if its not one of those I will be some what upset, as my list makes sense to me. Your not the only one over looking him. I just don't see what it is about him that doesn't put him towards the top of everyones list. Pearl is obviously everyones number one, but no way is he coming. After that I just don't get what doesn't put him as a solid number 2 choice. We don't need another I think he can hire. Alford and Lick were exactly that. The guys on your list are exactly that, except Drew, "I think he can hires." Kruger did it at three major schools, and has shown the rebuilding ability at UNLV. Everything matches up to have it be him. Also, if uptempo is one of your big things UNLV averaged 71 pts per this year. Just saying he needs to be on the radar.

Forbes has been a head coach at the Juco level...perhaps I should give him more consideration. I was certainly aware of him, and I know that he has a great deal of interest in the Iowa job...which concerns me that his boss does not

Here is his bio from the Tennessee site:

Forbes came to Tennessee after spending two seasons at Texas A&M, where he helped turn the Aggies from a team that had posted a 7-21 record the previous season and hadn't received a postseason invitation in 11 years, to a program that averaged more than 21 wins in his two seasons and advanced to postseason play both years. A&M posted back-to-back seasons with the most Big 12 Conference wins in school history with Forbes on the bench. Picked to finish last in the Big 12 prior to the 2004-05 season, the Aggies won their first 11 games and went on to a 21-10 record and made an appearance in the National Invitation Tournament. In 2005-06 Texas A&M advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1987 while recording a 22-9 record, the third-most wins in school history. The Aggies defeated Syracuse in the first round of the NCAA Tournament before falling to eventual Final Four participant LSU on a last-second shot. Texas A&M's recruiting also benefited from Forbes' experience, as each of the Aggie's two recruiting classes during his time in College Station were ranked among the top 10 in the nation.

Before joining Billy Gillispie's coaching staff at Texas A&M, Forbes coached at Illinois State (2003-04) and spent three years at Louisiana Tech (2000-03), where he helped sign two nationally-ranked recruiting classes, including a top-10 class in 2003. In 2002 the Bulldogs posted a 22-10 record and went 2-1 in the National Invitation Tournament, their first postseason appearance in 10 years.

In 1998 Forbes joined the Idaho coaching staff as an assistant coach before being promoted to associate head coach for the 1998-99 season. In his first season, the Vandals improved to 16-11 and signed a nationally-ranked recruiting class.

Forbes compiled a 68-28 record in three years (1995-98) as the head coach at Barton County Community College in Great Bend, Kan. During his three seasons competing in the Jayhawk Conference, the Cougars produced three All-Americas, twice finished the season with a national ranking and earned victories over 15 nationally-ranked teams. After spending two years (1989-91) as an assistant coach at Southwestern Community College in Creston, Iowa, Forbes was promoted to head coach in March 1991.

A native of Lone Tree, Iowa, Forbes graduated from Southern Arkansas University with a degree in secondary education in 1988. A former baseball student-athlete for the Muleriders, Forbes spent one year at his alma mater as the sports information director before embarking on a coaching career.

Forbes and his wife, Johnetta, have a daughter, Elizabeth, and two sons, Christopher and Johnathon.

Pastner is an intriguing pick. One would think he would not consider Iowa as he really has it going in Memphis. However, it's possible Lute could get in his ear and really be an advocate for us. If he would listen....we should talk.

Latest posts