The List: My Two Thru Five & More

With the understanding that my knowledge of the potential candidates consists of little more than what I have read here I find Josh Pastner intriguing. I like the fact he's young which means he can relate to young kids, can obviously recruit, and has oustanding tutelage.

He's seen what it takes to win in a big time conference, he's currently winning, and he's doing it by getting top talent.

I also like Scott Drew and am worried at the thought of Keno Avis.

Well my feelings are the last feelings that should be anyones concerns. I know everyone has a list I agree with what you said on the show. "its just your list, not Barta's." But we all have lists. I look at my list of ten and if its not one of those I will be some what upset, as my list makes sense to me. Your not the only one over looking him. I just don't see what it is about him that doesn't put him towards the top of everyones list. Pearl is obviously everyones number one, but no way is he coming. After that I just don't get what doesn't put him as a solid number 2 choice. We don't need another I think he can hire. Alford and Lick were exactly that. The guys on your list are exactly that, except Drew, "I think he can hires." Kruger did it at three major schools, and has shown the rebuilding ability at UNLV. Everything matches up to have it be him. Also, if uptempo is one of your big things UNLV averaged 71 pts per this year. Just saying he needs to be on the radar.

Good point!! Could deserve a response. I hadn't thought much about Kruger but my interest is growing. Don't know how people would respond to hiring someone who hasn't shown any commitment to staying at a school for the long haul.

Good writeup, and I think there are several intriguing candidates on there, and some could be considered definitely sleepers.. I agree that I would like to see more uptempo, and it sounds like any of those coaches would bring that. Heck, hard not to play more uptempo after seeing Lickliterball!

Please, not Keno Davis. Iowa should be able to do better.

Dunlap, Pearl, Drew, Pastner, Barbee should all be on Barta's radar. I cannot believe he couldn't hire one of these guys if he really, really wanted to (gotta pay the piper!).

Jon mentioned that Memphis offered (allegedly) 3.25 to Pearl. What is a reasonable price for IOWA to pay him? Top Dollar. I mean if money isn't an issue....

Lute Olson also fired Pastner two seasons ago, that's how he ended up in Memphis so I wouldn't be surprised if Lute feels differently about him now.

The way I understood, the Memphis job opened up and Pastner got the job, not that he was fired.

I like what he brings as far as attitude and willingness to work hard, but I have a worry that he is a job hopper. He would use Iowa as a leap pad.

The way I understood, the Memphis job opened up and Pastner got the job, not that he was fired.

I like what he brings as far as attitude and willingness to work hard, but I have a worry that he is a job hopper. He would use Iowa as a leap pad.

Well, at this point in time, if that meant changing the paradigm of Iowa basketball, and you got five good years out of him where kids Iowa hasn't been able to recruit come to Iowa, and they start winning again and become relevant, I would consider that a good investment.

Well, at this point in time, if that meant changing the paradigm of Iowa basketball, and you got five good years out of him where kids Iowa hasn't been able to recruit come to Iowa, and they start winning again and become relevant, I would consider that a good investment.

Agree totally. We've got to get back on the map. If we have someone leave after 5 years who has turned us around, hopefully that would make the coaching search easier next time.

Regarding the $3.25M Memphis offered to Pearl.. I guess that doesn't bode well for us if Pearl turned it down, but I was wondering if Pearl viewed going from the SEC to Conference USA as a step down regardless of the payraise? Maybe (hopefully) Pearl doesn't measure everything in terms of $$$. Although I'm sure salary is still an important factor.

No, Lute Olson fired his entire staff, including final four hero Miles Simon after the season where Kevin O'Neal filled in for Olson. I think Lute thought his assistants were being to loyal to O'Neil and O'Neil and Olson had somewhat of a falling out. He then went to be an assistant to Calipari for a year before landing the head job, but I still think he would be a fantastic hire but I don't think it's realistic.

Why not hire Billie Gillispie as the HC and pay Forbes some serious coin to come in and be the head assistant? This way you get a HC replacement should BCG mess up with the fire water.

Just a thought.

I agree Jon. I want to see some enjoyable basketball again before I get to old to make the trip to IC.

Love your numbers 2-4. Would be excited about any of them, but especially Pastner.

It's funny to hear folks say Pastner or Drew or Williams aren't 'realistic' but still pine for Pearl. Unlike with Pearl, we're in a position to give these other guys big raises.

I like this list,Jon.
The common thread is uptempo,and high energy. I think we all feel that Iowa needs a high energy guy,which could translate to younger but not necessarily as Pearl is no spring chicken.

Bottom line, Iowa needs that coach/salesman/promoter type guy who can sell to the fans,the players,and most importantly,the recruits.
Pearl is the dream candidate,but a real longshot.
Pastner is # 2 for me, but another longshot.
Buzz Williams is a very intriguing possibility,altho Marquette can up the ante to compete as they spent 10 million on their bb program last year and they warded off overtures to Crean for a few years.

Drew? I am warming up to him slowly...seems a little like SA, Indiana native, lot of swagger, and the whole texas recruiting deal worries me...can he get them to come up to Iowa or will it translate to the midwest?

Keno? I did check his recruiting and it was better than I expected. Some east coast,some texas. Not the top of the list,but in consideration.

Stallings and Kruger I would lump in the older,vet,calming influence candidates.
I was not on board for Stallings last time,but he would have been better than Lick.
Kruger and Stallings both seem a bit cold fishish for me...do not project a lot of fire and enthusiasm...sound familiar?

Call Pearl and ask him what it will take to get him here and get it done! We have the money so do it.

This guy still has my interest. He's not my #1, but he's a top 5 guy to consider.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Rick Stansbury. Mississippi State, 50 years old[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]* 254-136 in 12 season (4 straight 20 win seasons)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]* 6 NCAA Trips[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]* Good recruiter[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]* 8 year assistant at Mississippi State[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]* Winningest coach in Mississippi State history[/FONT]

Spank & others....just curious, but why do you not think Keno could do the job as well, if not better than his father? A lot of cheap shots at him by many, but not one piece of evidence to support any of your statements.

I don't mind if you don't want him as coach, but to simply flame seems childish to me. At least attempt to make your case, as it seems that's only fair to the many on this board that think he would be a good choice.

If it's his lack of experience, then debate that. If it's because you know him personally and don't like him, then state your case.

If you don't think Chris Davis or Rodell Davis (former Hawk) would help make-up a good staff, then provide some reasoning.

At least make an attempt.....but, I guess it's easy too just sit back and not put your own list out on the boards for public ridicule.

These "stop by" posts that many are making are just misinformed.

Spank & others....just curious, but why do you not think Keno could do the job as well, if not better than his father? A lot of cheap shots at him by many, but not one piece of evidence to support any of your statements.

I don't mind if you don't want him as coach, but to simply flame seems childish to me. At least attempt to make your case, as it seems that's only fair to the many on this board that think he would be a good choice.

If it's his lack of experience, then debate that. If it's because you know him personally and don't like him, then state your case.

If you don't think Chris Davis or Rodell Davis (former Hawk) would help make-up a good staff, then provide some reasoning.

At least make an attempt.....but, I guess it's easy too just sit back and not put your own list out on the boards for public ridicule.

These "stop by" posts that many are making are just misinformed.

My PUBLIC list
1. Lon Kruger

Why not Keno?
1. Not good enough at Providence. Don't care if your point is that it takes time, we don't have time.... Need someone who shows they can win.
2. Drake was one good year, and was not his players.
3. NOT ENOUGH EXPERIENCE

Latest posts