The Insight Has a Tough Call

Both PSU and OSU have poisoned themselves out of a top bowl selection.

There is also some pundit chatter about OSU imposing a bowl restriction on itself this year.

Jon what about the Gator Bowl. Who picks first the Insight or the Gator. If the Insight takes PSU then wouldn't Iowa be the logical choice for the Gator Bowl?

We're at the point that if I made a post 'the Sky is blue' it would inexorably lead back to a Ferentz is overpaid reply.

Also, you should change your screen name to something like 'Ferentz4aslongashewinstengamesayearthenforlife'

LOL. I guess I've just finally turned the corner, Jon. I have been a Ferentz supporter and apologist ever since he got here. But, like some others, I can no longer defend the annual losses to NW, Minny, Indiana, ISU, etc, or a combination thereof. And, that is just one of the many issues that cannot be longer ignored. He is a great coach, and by all accounts a great man, but this program should not be in a position of scrapping for a second consecutive Insight bowl bid. Sadly, 2009 looks more and more like a flukey, lucky year, and, we are nearly a decade from a B1G title. The talent level in place would suggest that we are insight bowl caliber for at least another year.

So, just to be clear: we are paying our coach $3,000,000 + per year and are "hoping" the insight bowl will pick us for the second straight year?

What does money have to do with it?

Iowa Football is a self-sustaining program. Barta has the right and privilege to pay whatever the hell he wants to Ferentz. Kirk was paid the going rate when he signed his contract extension to keep him at Iowa for life.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the money he makes, and it should no bearing on his coaching. If people want KF fired because they don't think he's a good coach, ok. But to continually bring up the money is pointless. It has no merit.

So, just to be clear: we are paying our coach $3,000,000 per year and are "hoping" the insight bowl will pick us for the second straight year?
No, we're paying him 3.8 mill base. Apparently we could be paying him 10 mill a year and we shouldn't be concerned about it.

Why in the world would a BCS bowl take Michigan? There are better teams available to choose from then the Wolverines.

The BCS is in bedlam now. Okie State going down, oklahoma going down, oregon going down. Looks more and more like a Alabama LSU rematch.

No, we're paying him 3.8 mill base. Apparently we could be paying him 10 mill a year and we shouldn't be concerned about it.

How does Ferentz's salary have any bearing on the fan? the program? et al?

Is it really that big of a deal if Ferentz makes $3.8M or $2.5M a year?

Why does that matter?

Again, if people think Ferentz is bad coach, you can debate that. But bringing up his salary doesn't do anything to bolster an argument.

"Oh, but Iowa could go out and get a GOOD coach for the money they are paying Ferentz" someone will say. Really? You really think Iowa is going to get a better coach to come to Iowa City. You think there are better coaches in the country than Ferentz that would want to come to Iowa? Doubtful. Very doubtful.

So I say again, the salary argument is baseless. The LENGTH of the contract would give you a leg to stand on, but not the $$.

How does Ferentz's salary have any bearing on the fan? the program? et al?

Is it really that big of a deal if Ferentz makes $3.8M or $2.5M a year?

Why does that matter?

Again, if people think Ferentz is bad coach, you can debate that. But bringing up his salary doesn't do anything to bolster an argument.

"Oh, but Iowa could go out and get a GOOD coach for the money they are paying Ferentz" someone will say. Really? You really think Iowa is going to get a better coach to come to Iowa City. You think there are better coaches in the country than Ferentz that would want to come to Iowa? Doubtful. Very doubtful.

So I say again, the salary argument is baseless. The LENGTH of the contract would give you a leg to stand on, but not the $$.

Oh Spank, if only the masses could understand this

Oh Spank, if only the masses could understand this

I guess the "masses'" or, actually anyone, might expect that the more you pay someone, the more you should expect to get out of that investment. But, apparently, we should "understand" that it makes sense to pay ferentz a top 5 salary but get top 50 results.

top 50? what planet do u live on? Results have been MUCH better than top50. More like top 15 her the past decade.

I guess the "masses'" or, actually anyone, might expect that the more you pay someone, the more you should expect to get out of that investment. But, apparently, we should "understand" that it makes sense to pay ferentz a top 5 salary but get top 50 results.

If you are mad about results that is one thing, but if you are mad about the results because of his salary you are dumb. his salary doesnt matter. And please explain the "top 50 results" comment. thanks

Ultimately, the fans that donate to the football program and attend the games (spending $$ on tix, etc) are the people paying Ferentz's salary. It's a de facto endorsement.

top 50? what planet do u live on? Results have been MUCH better than top50. More like top 15 her the past decade.

01' 05' '06 07 10 and 11 are not sniffing top 15. To be fair, we won't talk about 99 and 00, which are also part of the ferentz era. But I'm sure you've crunched the rankings over the last ten years to support your assertion.

01' 05' '06 07 10 and 11 are not sniffing top 15. To be fair, we won't talk about 99 and 00, which are also part of the ferentz era. But I'm sure you've crunched the rankings over the last ten years to support your assertion.

Top 15 is closer than Top 50.

In the 2000s (the bulk of Ferentz's time at Iowa), Iowa was the 24th best team in the nation.

ncaas-top-programs-2000-10.jpg

Ferentz also had one of the better B1G records in the last 10 years, as well.

How does Ferentz's salary have any bearing on the fan? the program? et al?Is it really that big of a deal if Ferentz makes $3.8M or $2.5M a year? Why does that matter?Again, if people think Ferentz is bad coach, you can debate that. But bringing up his salary doesn't do anything to bolster an argument."Oh, but Iowa could go out and get a GOOD coach for the money they are paying Ferentz" someone will say. Really? You really think Iowa is going to get a better coach to come to Iowa City. You think there are better coaches in the country than Ferentz that would want to come to Iowa? Doubtful. Very doubtful.So I say again, the salary argument is baseless. The LENGTH of the contract would give you a leg to stand on, but not the $$.

Well said!

Not sure any bowl wants to touch them, though.

The Rose I believe has already said that if PSU wins the Big Ten CG, they'll take them, regardless.

The Ticket City Who Cares Bowl has also said they'd love to select PSU.

I don't know if any of the other bowls have said anything. Interim coach Bradley also said that they would not turn down an invite, but then that may be out of his hands.