The Greg Davis chatter

I'm not going to read all 7 pages of this (read Coker thread) . . . but anyone wanting Brian F as OC is nuts.

My 2 cents . . . promote Soup. He's the coach I feel has the most upside.

1. I've heard he doesn't want it (take it for what it's worth...came from a mutual friend).
2. Why is everyone so sure Soup would be a great OC? Our receivers haven't been lighting it up this year. He benefited from DJK and McNutt's talent for sure but we had the most drops in the Big last year and showed almost nothing this year.

Just think what we could do with TWO running backs in the backfield. A good OC would get creative with Weisman and Bullock/Garmon.

There are rumors out there that the wife of Davis isn't a fan of the weather here and they want to move back to Texas for good. Maybe her staying in Texas when GD came to Iowa was a rumor as well.

#rumormill

There are rumors out there that the wife of Davis isn't a fan of the weather here and they want to move back to Texas for good. Maybe her staying in Texas when GD came to Iowa was a rumor as well.

#rumormill

This new round of rumors gets traced back to a pay board rumor on HR. Not sure if there are any legs or not but it seems like its all recycled rumor talk.

This new round of rumors gets traced back to a pay board rumor on HR. Not sure if there are any legs or not but it seems like its all recycled rumor talk.

I want to believe the press conf for later this wk will hold somebody responsible, but I'm sure it will be KF metaphorically flipping us all off by saying nothin wrong here-i'm on vacation! He just moved it up to get more time off.

I don't buy it. There was enough talent for a decent offense. Does northwestern have that much more talent than Iowa? No way! What they do have are coaches that arent stuck in 1987! Ferentz needs to wake up to 2012. This offense is not watchable, and frankly has not been for many years! Boring!!!!!!

Did you watch Northwestern this year...the answer is yes. A healthy Iowa team has about the same amount of talent, however that isn't the one that was on the field all year, but if I remember correctly, NW didn't lose to a chump team like, oh Central Michigan.

There are a few factors at work here, Iowa does not have the WR's to run the offense as it is normally laid out, but also the play calling was not very good. If Wiesman is a FB, why not play him there and put Garmon in the game as well and split the carries? Iowa didn't have playmakers this season, but Garmon looked okay when I watched him and Wiesman was good when he wasn't hurt.

Iowa is at a crossroads right now, next year is key for them, if they aren't better and can't stay injury free, Iowa may be looking at a decade of nothingness if they don't get rid of KF if they are a similar product next season.

That's another reason I've wanted him. Arizona's defenses weren't lights out, but they were pretty damn solid. And as soon as he left, it went in the tank for Mike. I have a hard time believing that's just a coincidence.

Here is what you really need to know about Mark Stoops, look at his Secondaries when he was at the 'U' and remember that he recruited a lot of those guys.

His units, outside of some at UA, have produced good results. He has done well with and without his brothers, probably better without them.

Now look at FSU, who is just stockpiling talent on the defensive side and he is an instrumental part of getting those guys as well.

This would probably be the best hire, but he would need to bring an OC with him that is not your typical Iowa OC.

Just think what we could do with TWO running backs in the backfield. A good OC would get creative with Weisman and Bullock/Garmon.

Actually, in 2013, we might have Weisman, Bullock, Garmon and Canzeri competing for carries. And with any luck, perhaps after the first game, Barkley Hill and maybe Mike Malloy, as well. I think Brad Rogers has a year of eligility left as well, but not sure of his status.

I just dont think a change in the OC gains us much? Really, not much changed in the new 'system' from the old one... Pretty sure that the HC is the bigger limiting factor than the OC.

And this continued nonsense about Brian Ferentz is a puzzler... nice kid I'm sure but promoting him to OC would be highly questionable. We don't even know yet if he is qualified to coach the Oline?

Really. We know very little about brains coaching ability to hand him the keys to the offense.

the only reason people want BF as OC is because they feel that he might be the one person to get KF to change his style.

What a crappy defense we've had every year.

Iowa's defense only defends the line of scrimmage. Iowa's defense isn't capable of defending in man-to man-situations and passing situations. Iowa's defense primarily stops the '3 yards and a cloud of dust' offenses.

Finally (and maybe I buried the lead), we all know Ferentz is a conservative coach meaning he prefers the defense to stop the other's offense to win games. For example, Nick Saban, another conservative coach at Alabama, won a national championship in 2009 with an offense rated in the mid 70's nationally with Greg McElroy as QB and a strong running game. In 2011, Alabama had a more powerful offense that rated (I think) in the mid-50's nationally with Mc Carron as QB and a strong running game.

BTW, how were O'Keefe's offenses rated nationally? (Don't need to answer, it's a rhetorical question).

Through the years, the big difference I see between Iowa's conservative teams and Alabama's conservative teams is that Alabama has a much stronger defense in all phases of the game.

Why shouldn't Phil Parker be fired, instead?

Last edited:
What a crappy defense we've had every year.

Iowa's defense only defends the line of scrimmage. Iowa's defense isn't capable of defending in man-to man-situations and passing situations. Iowa's defense primarily stops the '3 yards and a cloud of dust' offenses.

Finally (and maybe I buried the lead), we all know Ferentz is a conservative coach meaning he prefers the defense to stop the other's offense to win games. For example, Nick Saban, another conservative coach at Alabama, won a national championship in 2009 with an offense rated in the mid 70's nationally with Greg McElroy as QB and a strong running game. In 2011, Alabama had a more powerful offense that rated (I think) in the mid-50's nationally with Mc Carron as QB and a strong running game.

BTW, how were O'Keefe's offenses rated nationally? (Don't need to answer, it's a rhetorical question).

Through the years, the big difference I see between Iowa's conservative teams and Alabama's conservative teams is that Alabama has a much stronger defense in all phases of the game.

Why shouldn't Phil Parker be fired, instead?

Which Iowa team did you watch this year? Iowa's defense struggled some because of the offense. The defense gave the offense plenty of opportunities to score and win games, they offense couldn't do it. The defense will get tired if the offense can't stay on the field long enough to give them a break.

Latest posts