The core issue

NCHawker

OK, lets take a shot at this.

The core issue is the offensive coordinator

a) poor roster management and development of the on OLine. Suddenly you show up with a bunch of young players who can't compete at this level. That's on the coaching staff.

b) WR position injuries and inability to fill vacancies due to departures - roster management

c) QB position - poor development - low ceiling of talent - recruiting

d) scheme - this one is on Kirk. I hink Brian can run other types of offenses but KF likes this style.

OK, lets take a shot at this.

The core issue is the offensive coordinator

a) poor roster management and development of the on OLine. Suddenly you show up with a bunch of young players who can't compete at this level. That's on the coaching staff.

b) WR position injuries and inability to fill vacancies due to departures - roster management

c) QB position - poor development - low ceiling of talent - recruiting

d) scheme - this one is on Kirk. I hink Brian can run other types of offenses but KF likes this style.

c) QB position - poor development - low ceiling of talent - recruiting and PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

They have seemed to struggle to develop high caliber Div 1 QB's. Iowa has not had a track record of putting very many QB's in the NFL, and thriving in the NFL.

Kirk does not understand modern offense in college football. It doesn’t matter who is the OC as his vision of offense is antiquated and won’t work.

He is hiring carriage drivers when every team is hiring F1 drivers.

I've been saying all along that the OL is the biggest problem of the many problems. With all of the sophomores and freshmen there are, if they aren't dominant in 2 years, then that's on the staff and the entire system that's won a ton of games in the past 20+ years is dead and a change (either coach or system) needs to be made. The talent's there.

We have to remember that we lost Linderbaum, Ince, Schott, and Britt from last year. Replace them with some young guys and there's going to be a drop off. There are 20 OL on the roster. 14 of them are freshmen or sophomores. Not counting Britt, that leaves 5 jrs/srs. I'm telling myself to be patient, but...

I hate bye weeks after a loss. Its a contest to see who can say the same thing a different way.

Yep. Brian sucks. He stinks. He's poopy. He's terrible. He's clueless. Etc.

I've been saying all along that the OL is the biggest problem of the many problems. With all of the sophomores and freshmen there are, if they aren't dominant in 2 years, then that's on the staff and the entire system that's won a ton of games in the past 20+ years is dead and a change (either coach or system) needs to be made. The talent's there.

We have to remember that we lost Linderbaum, Ince, Schott, and Britt from last year. Replace them with some young guys and there's going to be a drop off. There are 20 OL on the roster. 14 of them are freshmen or sophomores. Not counting Britt, that leaves 5 jrs/srs. I'm telling myself to be patient, but...
I tend to agree with this take.

I suspect that if Brian/KF are allowed to stay at the helm and they change nothing over the next two years except the QB, this offense will be very good using the exact same system. Imagine the OL with two more years under their belt and Proctor folded into the mix. And with the young RBs we have. The schedule also turns more favorable.

But, with the natives this restless, the band may not get to stay together for the next couple years unless Barta can keep a leash on the boosters. Time will tell.

Yes we all can agree on two things: The o-line is horrid and the oc can kick rocks. But would we be better in the o-line if we didn’t have upperclassman transfer out or had left due to health reasons?? Just curious

Quarterback

And it is not even close, imo. OK4P touched on this in another thread, o-line play across the board is bad right now and it is not exclusive to Iowa. There are about 5 good O-lines in the NFL and the other 27 teams have dogshit. Unless you have a Reese Morgan, a Dante Scarnecchia or one of these old school guys who can coach up an entire offensive line...you better have a quarterback that can make plays.

Kirk does not understand modern offense in college football. It doesn’t matter who is the OC as his vision of offense is antiquated and won’t work.

It's really not that, at least at the foundation. What they are trying to do they are doing poorly. It's not like there are great defensive schemes. That doesn't account for missed blocks, receivers bunching together and players having no clue where to be or go or basic fundamentals.

Wow 5 Jr an Sr players who can’t play B1G football. That says a lot

1665957259227.png

If Fort Kinnick was an apple, we can clearly see the rot from the core which is linked to Brian Ferentz and his stubborn dad on offensive.

Wow 5 Jr an Sr players who can’t play B1G football. That says a lot
With the addition of Ince and Britt, our O line would be much better. Ince retired due to injury and Britt is out for the year with injury. That doesn't mean that they can play B1G football.

And that doesn't count the tranfers out from the '18-'19 classes from the position. It's been a perfect storm to get us to the freshmen/sophomore line that we are now fielding.

I tend to agree with this take.

I suspect that if Brian/KF are allowed to stay at the helm and they change nothing over the next two years except the QB, this offense will be very good using the exact same system. Imagine the OL with two more years under their belt and Proctor folded into the mix. And with the young RBs we have. The schedule also turns more favorable.

But, with the natives this restless, the band may not get to stay together for the next couple years unless Barta can keep a leash on the boosters. Time will tell.

Please clarify what you consider to be a VERY GOOD OFFENSE. You mean by Kirk standards? Ranked 80th?

We haven’t had a top fifty in over twelve years.

Also add Kallenberger retiring in June before last year.
Possible all-conf OT.
4Star 4th yr Volk & Endres have never made the 2 deep.
Add to that Schott, Ince, Britt and that's how you end up with a young, inexperienced OLine.

Minn lost a bunch of 5th/6th year OLine from last year. Now starting their best returning lineman and 4 transfer portal guys

I hate bye weeks after a loss. Its a contest to see who can say the same thing a different way.

Yep. Brian sucks. He stinks. He's poopy. He's terrible. He's clueless. Etc.
you left out arrogant and entitled. If he was half a man, he would resign and give the old man a way out.

Also add Kallenberger retiring in June before last year.
Possible all-conf OT.
4Star 4th yr Volk & Endres have never made the 2 deep.
Add to that Schott, Ince, Britt and that's how you end up with a young, inexperienced OLine.

Minn lost a bunch of 5th/6th year OLine from last year. Now starting their best returning lineman and 4 transfer portal guys
Agree these are the circumstances which have lead to our current OL issues.
That said, what did the coaching staff do in response to these events?
They did not all happen at once.
A couple big recruits transferred.
A couple retired early.
Some have not panned out.

Other schools are bringing in transfers to fill a key loss or gap in talent when these things happen. Even MI and AL identify weak spots and bring in a transfer or two when needed.
Our staff did not. Why?

All of this is true. Just as a caveat to it is that this yr however with this defense he coulda had a bad offense and still won a bunch of games. This team coulda/shoulda beat ISU and IL among others left on our schedule that we probably won't. However this offense isn't just bad it's the worst. The absolute bottom of the barrel worst there is. Style is downright irrelevant if you're not scoring 10 points a game. I used to say that we needed to be scoring 24 plus to have a chance to win most weeks. Hell this yrs D is way better then that for the most part. (not against OSU it won't) But come on we have more punts per game then WRs have receptions. It's unfathomable and incomprehensible how bad this is.

Could you imagine if Iowa ran what TN is with Heuepel and that Hooker Qb they have. Holy shit. They have some athletes at WR and they don't play scared at all. They just go for it all the time because why not. They are last in the country in TOP. Because they just score in 3-5 plays and run a hurry up type of O. It's the exact opposite of what we do.

Granted we don't have the personnel for it but isn't there a way to sprinkle it in for possession here or there. You don't have to do it all game long like they do for it to be effective. We don't have to try scoring 45-50 every game but hell is 30 too much to ask for in todays college football??

Latest posts