Texas & ND to the Big 10??

I have to admit that if the Big Ten does expand adding Texas and ND makes the most sense. Having said that the B10 holds all the cards and they don't really need either one because when the maddess comes many teams in the East and South will be calling begging the B10 to take them. So to be honest Texas and ND can't make any demands. If they join the B10 I can see them letting them play their rivalries and reducing the number of conferance games but as far as keeping basically an indpendent status, having their own network, and getting added money.... That ain't happening JACK!

You guys really believe the Big Ten would ever admit a school with different rules than what they use for everyone in the conference?

Seriously....there are only two teams worth expanding the B1G for....Texas and ND. IF and hopefully no expansion ever occurs again...if they were to be invited it would be on the B1G's terms and not on any individual schools. Period.

I'd like to believe this is true, BUT if the Big Ten is hell-bent on expanding, I believe they HAVE to get ND and UT to make it work financially, and the only way to get those teams might be to make concessions. Getting two or four other teams isn't going to pay the bills, IMO.

I hope it doesn't happen either way. I'd prefer to stay at 12.

Chip Brown at Orangebloods.com is speculating this morning that Texas might accept an invite from the B1G which would allow them to keep LHN but not be eligible to share in BTN revenues. I sure hope an invite like that never happens. Would be the beginning of the end of the B1G. Texas = poison.

Chip Brown: "If the Big Ten came to Texas and said we will take you as a member and you can bring the Longhorn Network - with the only caveat being that Texas could not share in any of the revenue from the Big Ten Network, that could be deliberated and discussed thoughtfully."

Orangebloods.com - Baylor's move has led to a realignment pause ... but for how long?

Really not a bad idea because it would allow the Big Ten to comb over the Texas region for recruiting, gain revenue from Texas TV audiences, and you cannot tell me the LHN would make more money than one of the teams in the equal sharing of the B10.

IF they go to a 16 team conference, the next two teams could be Maryland and Virginia. I don't believe Virginia Tech is a CIC member? Add those two schools and the Big 10 has all of the Washington DC area and probably more. Or Pitt (because I like Pitt). The Pitt/Penn St would be installed and would be a huge college rivalry again. Maryland and (or) Virginia --natural additional rivals for Penn St. Again, HUGE TV markets. BB instantly puts the Big 10 up there with a match to ANY other conference. Would open up huge recruiting markets for Big 10 teams.

Would OSU still rule the Big 10 in football...probably. With their recruiting advantage they probably would anyway. Texas? Would they rule the Big 10? I think Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, MSU, Iowa, Penn St, and I daresay, Notre Dame might have another thought about that?

A Nebraska/Texas game would be a national game with national interest. Nebraska HATES Texas and would love to be on an even field with Texas (in conference).

The number of games that would/could draw national interest is astounding. Even without adding two east coast teams; add two of them and the TV networks pi$$ down their legs wanting part of the big 20 INCLUDING ESPN. ESPN is afraid of the potential of the Big 10 network and what that network could do to their earnings.

Delaney is a smart smart man and the Big 10 is smart. They are not about to be bullied by teams WANTING to join the Big 10. The Big 10 holds all the cards. In fact, I don't think the Pac 12 would cave to Texas. The ONLY two conferences that Texas will consider joining. Texas and Notre Dame KNOW where the money conference is located and they KNOW what joining that conference would do for THEM. They will join like Nebraska did. If they join they will join as Big 10 members--one vote per school, like Indiana, Iowa, NW, Michigan, OSU....

The Texas and Notre Dame academic community are pi$$ing down their legs hoping that both institutions join the Big 10. Opportunities are endless for everyone.

I would bet that the Longhorn Network (if all this happens) disbands and becomes part of the Big 10 network. THAT is a must. Otherwise Texas can keep its network and go independent with no place for its olympic teams to go. The rest of the sports in Texas are also important to Texas.

Joining the Big 10 as another member gives Texas a very stable conference for it's other sports. Same with Notre Dame. Notre Dame will make much money from the Big 10 conference for its OTHER sports. Plus they still have incredible tough competition.

For those that worry about the "death" of the Big Ten if Texas is brought in don't worry because the Big Ten is bigger than Texas just ask the teams in the B10 right now. Plus Delany would never let that happen. Remeber the B10 is in the drivers seat not ND, not ESPN, not Texas... If the B10 adds Texas they will be fine and if they don't they will be fine as well. That is of course if Texas plays by Big Ten rules and they don't get special treatment.

For as much as everyone has been saying Delany is smart enough to see what Texas did to the old SWC and possibly the Big 12, remember that it's going to be the college presidents voting on any new schools (not just athletic teams) that are invited to join. So, any college president with any common sense (and a decent team of advisors) is going to look at what happened to the teams thrown by the wayside by Texas before (SMU, Rice, and possibly, ISU, K-State, Kansas, Missouri, etc). No way the presidents of schools like Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois, Minnesota and even Iowa allow a school to come in on uneven/unequal terms.

Yes, those schools would like extra money in their pockets from increased TV revenue but I'm pretty sure they are pretty darn happy with what they are getting now and wouldn't put that at risk by allowing a school to come in and be treated differently. I'm not sure what sort of voting numbers would be required to admit a new school (unanimous? simple majority?) but there would be plenty of schools who are very happy with where they are at knowing that if they weren't in the Big 10 currently they probably wouldn't have the clout themselves to ever be invited on their own athletic-wise and the presidents are smart enough to vote no to a school who wants preferential treatment. If any new school comes in they either come in as equals or don't come in at all.

For those that worry about the "death" of the Big Ten if Texas is brought in don't worry because the Big Ten is bigger than Texas just ask the teams in the B10 right now. Plus Delany would never let that happen. Remeber the B10 is in the drivers seat not ND, not ESPN, not Texas... If the B10 adds Texas they will be fine and if they don't they will be fine as well. That is of course if Texas plays by Big Ten rules and they don't get special treatment.

This all boils down to incentives, as these things always do.

What incentive is there for the B1G to expose itself by offering Tejas/ND special deals? None. There is no incentive to do that. It's the difference between want and need. Does the B1G want those schools? Prolly. Does it need em? Not in the least. And that's why B1G has all of the bargaining advantage here. All of it.

Bottom line: Tejas and ND need or are gonna need the B1G way more than B1G is ever gonna need them. Adding those schools will be done at the B1G's leisure and on the B1G's terms. Tejas and ND can take the deal or take a hike.

You rarely find a situation where one of the parties to a deal has all of the clout and no risk in walking away from the deal. This is one of those rare occasions.

It is irrational. The Big 12 schools need Texas more than Texas needs the Big 12. Schools like Baylor, Kansas State, Kansas & Iowa State need Texas. Texas says 'jump' & they ask 'how high.'

In contrast, Texas needs the Big Ten more than the Big Ten needs Texas. Texas has to convince the Big Ten that it should be a member.

I can just see Delaney telling Dodd: "Just shut up & count your money."

Texas doesn't need the B10 at all. They are one of the few schools that can be successful as an independent. That's why they will always have leverage they don't need any conference. And the argument that no conference would take their other sports teams in is laughable, if it came down to it, you think Conf USA or the WAC would really pass up the chance to have Texas basketball and baseball and all their other sports? Of course not.

Texas doesn't need the B10 at all. They are one of the few schools that can be successful as an independent. That's why they will always have leverage they don't need any conference. And the argument that no conference would take their other sports teams in is laughable, if it came down to it, you think Conf USA or the WAC would really pass up the chance to have Texas basketball and baseball and all their other sports? Of course not.

They have no leverage vis a vis the B1G. They can join as an equal or they can take their chances as an independent.

If this happens and the B1G goes to 16 teams, I do like Mizzou and either Pitt, Va Tech, or Maryland.

BTW, if cowChip Brown is reporting it, it probably won't happen. He makes Bleacher Report look like a reputable news outlet.

Forget it. The Big Ten will not expand beyond twelve teams unless they hit the lottery with Notre Dame & Texas. It also is highly unlikely that the Pac 12 will expand beyond twelve teams.

The Pac 12 had enough problems with the new alignment without further expansion. Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Stanford & Washington all wanted to continue their annual trip to Los Angeles. Los Angeles is a recruiting hotbed for all five schools. Washington was not pleased with the alignment because the Huskies will only visit the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum every other year.

The Pac 12 could have a strong block against expansion. With expansion, you also have to appease the exisiting members. Any expansion that would seriously jeopardize the Wildcats', Sun Devils', Bears' or Cardinal's annual trip to L.A. could meet serious opposition. Plus, the Pac 12 has entered into new twelve-year TV deal with ESPN & Fox. Unless there is a provision in the contract that it would be renegotiated with expansion, the exisiting teams will not agree to less revenue.

If the grand plan is to go to 4 16-team super conferences, Texa$$ will not survive as an independent. If this happens then you probably see those 4 conferences break away from the NCAA and we will see the end of the BCS and finally have a true playoff. Do you think Texa$$ wants to be left out of that? :rolleyes:

If the grand plan is to go to 4 16-team super conferences, Texa$$ will not survive as an independent. If this happens then you probably see those 4 conferences break away from the NCAA and we will see the end of the BCS and finally have a true playoff. Do you think Texa$$ wants to be left out of that? :rolleyes:

I don't think so. Your scenerio also would result in the demise of the NCAA basketball tournament.

the BCS will be gone anyway 4 Sixteen conference would boil down to playoff, 2 conferences within one, you would have the champion of each division competing in a championship game, leaving 4 conference champions all tha leave is a 2 game championship playoff; 4teams then the final 2, in this case bigger is not always better, afterall somebody has to lose,

Latest posts