Texas & ND to the Big 10??

Texas is calling these rumors completely false. Nothing to see here.

Of course they are, but that doesn't make it true. The SEC just a few short weeks ago wasn't going to expand with Texas A&M either.

Do you honestly expect Texas to publicly say "yeah, we're talking to the Big 10"? No chance.

If there is any truth to this, I say screw them both and their terms. They are not in the power position. ND already had TWO chances. Leave them by the side of the road.

I have a very hard time believing that Texas and Notre Dame want any part of EQUAL revenue sharing. If in fact this meeting took place, their demands are both laughable and extremely arrogant. This conference is all for one and one for all, and all members take pride in that philosophy.

and you would be 100% incorrect. tOSU or Michigan would jump at the chance to start their own LHN.

texas or ND aren't joining the big10. they are not going to go somewhere were they have to share evenly with small market teams. bottom line

Just saw ESPN bottom line saying Big East in contact with Big 12 schools Kansas, KU, Missouri, Baylor and/or ISU. Maybe this IS all an ESPN conspiracy

From Pete Thamel of the New York Times, who has pretty good sources himself.

PeteThamelNYT Pete Thamel
There's a Texas-ND-Big Ten email/blog/conspiracy theory floating around. Its not true. Not even close.

Just for the sake of argument, let's just say something like this happened...on a revenue front, there is nothing that any other conference could put together that could match the television revenues the BTN would be able to allocate to its member schools.

Not even close...each Big Ten school would probably be looking at something like a $30 mil annual payout at a minimum..for a school like Iowa, that approaches 40% of their entire athletic department budget...that doesn't include revenues from football and basketball ticket sales, concessions, parking, merchandise, etc.

From a strictly dollars and cents standpoint, you'd pretty much be talking about perpetual fiscal clear sailing.

Now...Texas would likely be in the Legends, Notre Dame in the Leaders. So there is that. Might open up more recruiting opportunities in Texas, too.

Not saying I am buying this, but this poster did have some things 18 months ago that turned out to be right, well ahead of anyone else, and I know folks in the Big Ten offices were sniffing out where their leak was.

Wait a minute...there is a confidential informant out there? Now, this is getting interesting...lots of twists and turns!

When your baseball and bb team and women's bb teams have competed in a major conference and competed against the top level talent, do you really think CUSA or the WAC are conferences that Texas wants its olympic sports? No Texas doesn't NEED the Big10 but the Big 10 does not need Texas either. Sure they can go independent, but a couple of seasons like last season and the luster is off their nuts, just like Notre Dame. The problem with being an independent is that you had better win and win a lot. Yes you have your alumni watching all the time but unless you are winning, no one else cares about the program. Does Texas have the drawing power that Notre Dame does...I think not. Not only does Notre Dame get its alumni and people that want to watch just to see them get beat, but they also carry a LOT of weight with catholics in general.

My mother knows nothing about football, yet she likes Notre Dame because they have all those good catholic boys on the team. That is the perception by many...many catholic families send their kids to Notre Dame because it is catholic.

Texas does not have that kind of drawing power as an independent. No one on the west or east coast cares about Texas. Their heads are in the clouds if they think anyone does.

Again the Big 10 does not need Texas and Texas does not need anyone either if they want to trash the rest of their sports programs, just to keep their longhorn network that interests no one other than Texas fans. And unless those fans are very loyal Texas fans, they aren't going to buy the network.

Join the Big 10 and both sides win...immensely, especially if Notre Dame joins...then it is a win win win situation for everybody.

If the Big East takes the leftovers from the Big 12, that is a doomed conference. But it may be a doomed conference anyway.

Latest posts