Texas & ND to the Big 10??

Texas thinks they can do whatever they want. Chip Brown, as the mouthpiece of the Longhorns is simply floating ideas out there to see if the big ten bites. I would hope Iowa would not agree to let Texas join, and I don't understand why fans would be for this because it would only make things more difficult for Iowa. ALso, would Nebraska really go for sucha thing when Texas was basically the reason they wanted to leave the big 12

IF TRUE... I say no and invite Missouri and another Eastern school that fits within the B1G scope... They both would be happy for the $$ and not try and strong arm the conf.

Texas thinks they can do whatever they want. Chip Brown, as the mouthpiece of the Longhorns is simply floating ideas out there to see if the big ten bites. I would hope Iowa would not agree to let Texas join, and I don't understand why fans would be for this because it would only make things more difficult for Iowa. ALso, would Nebraska really go for sucha thing when Texas was basically the reason they wanted to leave the big 12

Nebraska doesn't really have much of a say yet.

Texas thinks they can do whatever they want because right now they can and I cannot blame them for doing so. They screwed up the way they set up the B12, they should have adopted a model similar to what the Big Ten is using. If you remember back to when the SWC was folding, the only reason Texas is not in the Big Ten already is because of TAMU and now they are out of the picture. Texas wants to be in a stable conference both athletically and academically and there is no better conference than the Big Ten. Nebraska would go for it as long as Texas does not get any more power than what they have, which is the only way this can happen. A move like this would put more money in Nebraska's pocket as well.

ESPN has to be terrified of something like this happening as now you have a conference with a network that could rival its own. A conference that now would be just as good, if not better, on the playing field as the SEC. On college game day you could have more people tuning into the BTN to catch pregame and games than ESPN which could pull advertising dollars.

Taking a tough stance like this is not going to get the Big Ten anywhere, especially when you are talking about Texas & Notre Dame. Again if any of this is true, these 2 schools coming to the Big Ten have legitimate concerns that the Big Ten needs to take into account before bringing them in.

The B1G doesn't need to get anywhere. They are already on top and they want in. we dont need the selfish demands that blew up the big 12 to infect the B1G.

no way should texas be allowed different rules. you don't get your own network. you're either with us, or against us. last I checked their decisions haven't been good in holding together 2 conferences.

What makes anyone think this actually happened?

Some guy on a NW message board posts this and you think it is fact, even though they have nothing to corroborate it?

Give me a break. Unless you can show some real proof, this is not a fact and nothing really happened as it is said in the original post on this board that was originally taken from the NW board.

Yep, wait until Texas gets into OSU or Michigan's ear and convinces them that it's in their best interest to start a four team conference with those three schools and ND, where they no longer have to share revenue with the other 10 (or 12) schools in the B10. We'll be left scrambling to find a new conference that is nowhere near as the one we are in now.
I can definitely see this happening at some point if ND and Texass joins the B1G. I am praying they are denied entrance.

The B1G doesn't need to get anywhere. They are already on top and they want in. we dont need the selfish demands that blew up the big 12 to infect the B1G.

I disagree, if these super conference rumors are true then the Big Ten needs to position themselves to take the cream of the crop and it does not get any better than Texas & Notre Dame both athletically & academically. While you have the SEC trying to lure the likes of Missouri and West Virginia you have the Big Ten taking on Texas & Notre Dame.

Re: What makes anyone think this actually happened?

Some guy on a NW message board posts this and you think it is fact, even though they have nothing to corroborate it?

Give me a break. Unless you can show some real proof, this is not a fact and nothing really happened as it is said in the original post on this board that was originally taken from the NW board.

NW is in Chicago. Big Ten HQ is in Chicago. Boom. Pourooved.

It would all come down to the split on the money pot. The rest is just fluff. No doubt that there are really only two programs that meet the standard set by the Big Ten with the additions of Penn St and Nebraska,and that would be ND,and then Texas,so it meets that first criteria. Academics and athletics are acceptable. And financial is a plus.

That said, I am very hesitant when it comes to Texas. ND is in the Big Ten footprint,as was Nebraska and Penn St. Texas would be deep below the mason-dixon line which the Big Ten has never gone. They clearly are a bunch of arrogant SOB's down there,and with some justification,as they do bring a huge market with them.
Just how huge,tho? I fear that as soon as any special treatment is allowed to any school,then the dam will burst and OSU,Michigan,PSU,ect will demand special treatment as well. The strength of the Big Ten thruout this whole shakeup has been their solidarity as a strong unit. No cracks in the dam. Is Texas really just a manchurian program seeking to inbede themselves into the enemy and then destroy us from within?

I am also hesitant to slap the BTN brand on the Longhorn network and let them reap all the benefits. I think it is important that almost all TV type revenues from any source are split equally. Now, if no Big Ten games were shown on BTN2, maybe some kind of equitable split could be arranged. Or if they were, then the money flows equally...something like that.

I do trust that Delany will drive a hard bargain,or walk away. He has nuts of steel.
Strictly from an Iowa football/bb program standpoint, adding Texas to an already tough Legends would be tough for the Hawks. Now, maybe some recruiting advantages,but not enough to outweigh the impact of another tough program added to the mix. ND would be the easier addition to the Legends.
Having Michigan,Neb,Texas,MSU and Iowa in one division would be brutal.
OSU,ND,PSU,Wisky? Two fading programs and newbie,then OSU. OSU would love it.

No doubt it would be the most powerful league out there in terms of money and prestige.

Just for the sake of argument, let's just say something like this happened...on a revenue front, there is nothing that any other conference could put together that could match the television revenues the BTN would be able to allocate to its member schools.

Not even close...each Big Ten school would probably be looking at something like a $30 mil annual payout at a minimum..for a school like Iowa, that approaches 40% of their entire athletic department budget...that doesn't include revenues from football and basketball ticket sales, concessions, parking, merchandise, etc.

From a strictly dollars and cents standpoint, you'd pretty much be talking about perpetual fiscal clear sailing.

Now...Texas would likely be in the Legends, Notre Dame in the Leaders. So there is that. Might open up more recruiting opportunities in Texas, too.

Not saying I am buying this, but this poster did have some things 18 months ago that turned out to be right, well ahead of anyone else, and I know folks in the Big Ten offices were sniffing out where their leak was.

ALso, would Nebraska really go for sucha thing when Texas was basically the reason they wanted to leave the big 12

Colorado is also not very keen on dealing with the Big 12 South members again after joining the Pac-12. Colorado went to the Pac-12 to play the West Coast teams.

on a revenue front, there is nothing that any other conference could put together that could match the television revenues the BTN would be able to allocate to its member schools.

And since this whole thing is being driven by football revenues, particularly the TV dollars, unfortunately this scenario cannot entirely be discounted.

Last edited:
I just don't see how the B1G lets Texas and ND in without agreeing to equal revenue sharing. If they don't agree to that this theory stops dead in its tracks.

ND and texas would require a shake up in conference alignment. If ND wants to try and keep as many of it's rivalries as possible, they would want to be with UM, Purdue, & MSU.

ND
UM
MSU
PSU
Pur
NW
Ind

Texas
OSU
Neb
Iowa
Wisky
Ill
Minn

Just for the sake of argument, let's just say something like this happened...on a revenue front, there is nothing that any other conference could put together that could match the television revenues the BTN would be able to allocate to its member schools.

Not even close...each Big Ten school would probably be looking at something like a $30 mil annual payout at a minimum..for a school like Iowa, that approaches 40% of their entire athletic department budget...that doesn't include revenues from football and basketball ticket sales, concessions, parking, merchandise, etc.

From a strictly dollars and cents standpoint, you'd pretty much be talking about perpetual fiscal clear sailing.

Now...Texas would likely be in the Legends, Notre Dame in the Leaders. So there is that. Might open up more recruiting opportunities in Texas, too.

Not saying I am buying this, but this poster did have some things 18 months ago that turned out to be right, well ahead of anyone else, and I know folks in the Big Ten offices were sniffing out where their leak was.

For a while, until Texas decides it doesn't want to share evenly and decides the conference needs to lose some dead weight.

I don't think that's would be a done deal. My udnertanding is that scUM and fOSU were separated partially to help make sure the divisions were somewhat balanced and to perserve the chance of a B10 title game featuring those two with the thought that would be a huge TV draw.

With the addition of Texas and ND I could easily see Wisky being moved into the legends along with Texas, and fOSU and ND going to the leaders division. On the field I would stack Texas, Nebby, Iowa, and Wisky against fOSU, scUM, PSU and ND on the field any day of the week, and almost any combination of those four would make for a huge TV draw as well.

I have a very hard time believing that Texas and Notre Dame want any part of EQUAL revenue sharing. If in fact this meeting took place, their demands are both laughable and extremely arrogant. This conference is all for one and one for all, and all members take pride in that philosophy.

Both Notre Dame & Texas would gladly join the Big Ten under the current equal revenue sharing program.

I haven't found the numbers for 2010, but in 2009 Texas received only $11.8 in the Big 12's unequal revenue sharing program that greatly favors Texas & Oklahoma. In contrast, every Big Ten school received $18.8 million or almost sixty percent more than Texas.

This year the discrepancy in revenue sharing distribution probably will be much larger. The Big 12 entered into a new $130 million a year deal with Fox & ESPN & implemented a more friendly revenue sharing plan. Even if the revenues are split only nine ways, Texas will receive probably no more than $16 million.

Every Big Ten school is expected to receive well over $25 million this year. Depending on the estmates used, anywhere from $27 to $29 million for each school.

Notre Dame could about triple its TV revenue by joining the Big Ten. Nobody really knows what NBC pays Notre Dame, but TV industry experts & insiders estimate it to be about $10 million a year. In addition, Notre Dame receives about 1.6 million for participation in the Big East in basketball.

The Big Ten, Notre Dame & Texas will be very smart. Notre Dame will announce that it will join the Big Ten after the expiration of its current agreement with NBC after the 2015 season. Likewise, Texas will announce that it is joining the Big Ten after the expiration of its current five-year commitment to the Big 12. Also, after the 2015 season.

The Big Ten's current TV deal expires after the 2016 season.

Latest posts