Tennessee hits rock bottom

Absolutely. ESPN pays him around $6.5 million a year to yell stupid stuff on TV for 17 weeks a year. Why on earth would you pass that up.
With the financial troubles going on at ESPN along with the decline in viewership of Monday Night Football, my guess is that ESPN doesn't renew once it's up for renewal, meaning Gruden is looking for a gig. He has ties to Tennessee, so if the money was right, I bet he takes a serious look....

With the financial troubles going on at ESPN along with the decline in viewership of Monday Night Football, my guess is that ESPN doesn't renew once it's up for renewal, meaning Gruden is looking for a gig. He has ties to Tennessee, so if the money was right, I bet he takes a serious look....

ESPN's massive Monday Night Football deal goes through 2021 so I'm assuming Gruden will at least be locked in until then. Paying Gruden $6.5 million a year is a drop in the bucket when you're paying the NFL $1.9 billion a year for MNF.

dunno if it's been mentioned, but sounds like UT could be seriously considering Tee Martin. Martin's been USC's OC and apparently has a really good track record of developing play makers and recruiting at UK and USC. I don't know if he's got the experience, but I wouldn't be surprised with this one. Way to many changes going on and this would be one the fans likely would be on board with, the price would be cheaper and if he doesn't pan out, they could jettison him fairly quickly. I think UT has to "time it" right to get a big name; during a time there aren't so many equal or better jobs open.

The one name that isn't being thrown around yet that I have thought of is what about Peyton Manning? Don't know if he has the desire to grind it out at the college ranks.

Gruden is just waiting for the right opportunity in the Pros. I don't think he has any desire to go work at the college level. I could be wrong only time will tell.

I don't see that happening... If ESPN loses MNF they may as well close up shop. And like I've heard from others they have 5 more years on their current deal so there's no immediate threat of it. Gruden isn't a college guy I don't think he's just not. Recruiting/dealing with kids/parents boosters rules on top of rules. He just wants to coach football. I suspect he'd prefer to stay right in Tampa where he lives or even Miami. (Not with their current QB situations though)

dunno if it's been mentioned, but sounds like UT could be seriously considering Tee Martin. Martin's been USC's OC and apparently has a really good track record of developing play makers and recruiting at UK and USC. I don't know if he's got the experience, but I wouldn't be surprised with this one. Way to many changes going on and this would be one the fans likely would be on board with, the price would be cheaper and if he doesn't pan out, they could jettison him fairly quickly. I think UT has to "time it" right to get a big name; during a time there aren't so many equal or better jobs open.
This was my immediate thought as well.

I don't know if he has enough of a resume, but he is considered one of the best recruiters in the country and has obvious ties to the university. Again, I just don't know if he's paid his dues yet, as he's only been a coordinator for a short time.

I don't see that happening... If ESPN loses MNF they may as well close up shop. And like I've heard from others they have 5 more years on their current deal so there's no immediate threat of it. Gruden isn't a college guy I don't think he's just not. Recruiting/dealing with kids/parents boosters rules on top of rules. He just wants to coach football. I suspect he'd prefer to stay right in Tampa where he lives or even Miami. (Not with their current QB situations though)
I think there's only 4 more years...which really means there's 3 years as the last year would be negotiations. And I disagree that if they don't renew MNF that they should close up shop. 2017 will mark the 2nd straight year of declines in overall viewership of MNF. One year is an anomoly...two is a trend. For the money they are ponying for broadcast rights, coupled with the loss of overall viewership and the year over year declines in specific MNF viewership, they'd be foolish not to give serious consideration to not re-upping. Especially when you consider the massive increase in popularity of college football and the possibility of an increase in the playoff format. You could take part of the MNF rights they are paying and up the ante for more college football.

Gruden is a NFL coach he ain’t doing the college thing under any circumstances.

Absolutely. ESPN pays him around $6.5 million a year to yell stupid stuff on TV for 17 weeks a year. Why on earth would you pass that up.

He is so overrated as a color analyst. There is no backlash for him just being mediocre so he can collect paycheck as long as he wants.

So maybe they hired Jeff Brohm after his big win in Kinnick Stadium. Or maybe they didn't. I dunno. But Brohm is good and he played against Tennessee as a player and did some work at Western Kentucky before Purdue.

The Duke coach, Duke!, doesn't want to go to Tennessee. Now, NC State. Hardly another hotbed of college football. Has Peyton Manning turned them down yet?

Somehow I wouldn't worry about being let go by ESPN if I'd been making $6.5 Million/yr. for awhile. I think I'd find something satisfying to do with my time...and money. Consider how huge the ego and need for victory must be of a guy who's well over 50...has made Millions... and still wants to coach (as in 80 hours/wk) rather than enjoy time with his family and friends and explore the world.

It'd be an odd fit with Leach going there. But TN is pretty much to the point of just needing someone to say yes. They clearly want someone with experience since they aren't after Tee Martin.

The one name that isn't being thrown around yet that I have thought of is what about Peyton Manning? Don't know if he has the desire to grind it out at the college ranks.

Gruden is just waiting for the right opportunity in the Pros. I don't think he has any desire to go work at the college level. I could be wrong only time will tell.

Great player does not = great coach.

Latest posts