Tenn. & Nebraska coaching jobs

hawkinstl

Can anybody shed light on why these 2 jobs would be attractive to coaches who haven’t been recently fired?

Both have huge fan bases and some history albeit a while ago. Both have great facilities. Both are going to have to buck up and pay big dollars. Nebraska is the only show in town and TN is nearly that.

Average Salary Information for US Workers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median wage for workers in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2016 was $849 per week or $44,148 per year for a 40-hour work week.Oct 24, 2017

Average Salary Information for US Workers - The Balance

https://www.thebalance.com/average-salary-information-for-us-workers-2060808

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/110888/bo-pelini-buyout-takes-a-bite-out-of-nebraska
"From the World-Herald report, Nebraska will pay Pelini $4,212.99 per day to not be their coach"​

Eichorst knew when he fired Pelini in November that Nebraska would have to pay big bucks. The coach's contract called for a payment of nearly $8 million, divided monthly until February 2019 and subject to the terms of his future employment.

Well, that employment as coach at FCS-level Youngstown State worked out financially well for Pelini. He comes at a low cost to the Penguins and, as a result, keeps Nebraska, for which Pelini harbors no fond feelings, on the hook for more than $6.5 million.

Nebraska can handle the burden. But the monthly checks will, no doubt, hurt to issue to a coach who trashed his former program on the way out of town in December.

And when breaking down the numbers -- not a good idea for Nebraska administrators -- it stings more. From the World-Herald report, Nebraska will pay Pelini $4,212.99 per day. That's $12.29 per minute or 20.4 cents per second.

He earns equal to the average annual income of a Nebraskan in less than 40 hours.

OK, enough. It's not new news; just a new way to look at it.

Here's what I take, though, from this latest spin on Pelini's departure: In the early days of Bo, he was lauded at Nebraska for being a regular guy. And often when you met Pelini, despite his surly reputation, or saw him away from the gridiron, he talked and looked like a normal guy, eating with Nebraskans at restaurants and watching his kids play sports in the community.

But he was never normal. Not in the way people wanted from the head coach. No one in position to earn more than $700 per hour for more than four years after his termination can be considered normal.

Don't blame Pelini. Nebraska wrote the contract.

It's much the same with new coach Mike Riley, the unwavering nice guy who earns $2.7 million annually, with built-in raises every year of $100,000. He could go 5-7 in his first season and would still get the $100,000 bump in salary next year.

Is that normal? No, but it's illustrative of the climate in college football -- shattered calculators and all.

Obverse_of_the_series_2009_%24100_Federal_Reserve_Note.jpg

No matter what kind of bullshit Scott Frost says at his introductory presser.

A buddy of mine who lives in SEC territory claims a lot of buzz down there that Fisher is set to go to A&M and Frost is looking at FSU. I'd be surprised....but wouldn't it be fun to watch the meltdown in Husker Nation.
I'd love it.

Huskerboard has a 279 page, 13,927 post-long thread about Scott Frost. There will be suicides if he doesn't get hired there.

The UCF Rivals message board is practically shut down because of Huskerboard trolls going in and trashing all the posters. Saying stuff like "You guys are just butt hurt because we knocked you on the ground, took your lunch money and stole your coach," and "hope you enjoyed getting bent over..." blah blah blah.

Part of me hopes he gets hired and loses like Riley because the meltdown would be even worse, but I don't want to wait that long.

The Tennessee AD has bought himself a world of trouble. It didn't seem like Schiano was a good fit for Tennessee in the first place, nothing to do with the Penn State allegations. I think you need to be a good ol' Southern boy to fit in down there, but then for the AD/others involved in the decision to be railroaded into a spineless decision to nix the deal, it's going to be really difficult to find someone who would want to live under that type of bs scrutiny and lack of support when things get rough.

Tennessee is the 6th, 7th best job in the SEC or worse. Nebraska is the 5th or worse in the B10. Depends what the coach is looking for and what the expectations of the AD and fans are.

Tennessee is the 6th, 7th best job in the SEC or worse. Nebraska is the 5th or worse in the B10. Depends what the coach is looking for and what the expectations of the AD and fans are.
Right now. Both could be good jobs, but I think the Tennessee job has more potential. Unfortunately for Tennessee, they really hurt their chances of landing someone solid.

Read on espn.com that Gundy is speaking with Tennessee. That mullet would do well down there in Vol-land. He's one guy that might fit in down there, but still not sure why he'd want to leave Okie State for Tennessee, other than to get out of Oklahoma's shadow. That may be the benefit of the Tennessee job right now, a coach has a lot of bargaining leverage.

Read on espn.com that Gundy is speaking with Tennessee. That mullet would do well down there in Vol-land. He's one guy that might fit in down there, but still not sure why he'd want to leave Okie State for Tennessee, other than to get out of Oklahoma's shadow. That may be the benefit of the Tennessee job right now, a coach has a lot of bargaining leverage.

Tennessee reportedly offered to double his current salary ($4.2 million). Gundy is going to mullet over.

A buddy of mine who lives in SEC territory claims a lot of buzz down there that Fisher is set to go to A&M and Frost is looking at FSU. I'd be surprised....but wouldn't it be fun to watch the meltdown in Husker Nation.

I thought the same thing. If Frost doesn't go to Nebby, that whole state is just going to implode.

I only aksed the original question as the fans expectations at both schools in my belief is not possible to achieve for quite a while. Why would a coach, other than a huge ego, want to be a part of that if they have a good thing going where they’re at?

I'd love it.

Huskerboard has a 279 page, 13,927 post-long thread about Scott Frost. There will be suicides if he doesn't get hired there.
We joke at work that it will sound like popcorn from all the heads exploding, which we will be able to hear from 40 miles away.

Average Salary Information for US Workers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median wage for workers in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2016 was $849 per week or $44,148 per year for a 40-hour work week.Oct 24, 2017

Average Salary Information for US Workers - The Balance

https://www.thebalance.com/average-salary-information-for-us-workers-2060808

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/110888/bo-pelini-buyout-takes-a-bite-out-of-nebraska
"From the World-Herald report, Nebraska will pay Pelini $4,212.99 per day to not be their coach"​

Eichorst knew when he fired Pelini in November that Nebraska would have to pay big bucks. The coach's contract called for a payment of nearly $8 million, divided monthly until February 2019 and subject to the terms of his future employment.

Well, that employment as coach at FCS-level Youngstown State worked out financially well for Pelini. He comes at a low cost to the Penguins and, as a result, keeps Nebraska, for which Pelini harbors no fond feelings, on the hook for more than $6.5 million.

Nebraska can handle the burden. But the monthly checks will, no doubt, hurt to issue to a coach who trashed his former program on the way out of town in December.

And when breaking down the numbers -- not a good idea for Nebraska administrators -- it stings more. From the World-Herald report, Nebraska will pay Pelini $4,212.99 per day. That's $12.29 per minute or 20.4 cents per second.

He earns equal to the average annual income of a Nebraskan in less than 40 hours.

OK, enough. It's not new news; just a new way to look at it.

Here's what I take, though, from this latest spin on Pelini's departure: In the early days of Bo, he was lauded at Nebraska for being a regular guy. And often when you met Pelini, despite his surly reputation, or saw him away from the gridiron, he talked and looked like a normal guy, eating with Nebraskans at restaurants and watching his kids play sports in the community.

But he was never normal. Not in the way people wanted from the head coach. No one in position to earn more than $700 per hour for more than four years after his termination can be considered normal.

Don't blame Pelini. Nebraska wrote the contract.

It's much the same with new coach Mike Riley, the unwavering nice guy who earns $2.7 million annually, with built-in raises every year of $100,000. He could go 5-7 in his first season and would still get the $100,000 bump in salary next year.

Is that normal? No, but it's illustrative of the climate in college football -- shattered calculators and all.
The UNL athletic department now owes 19.4 million to people who no longer work there.

You know, I would think about Tennessee if I were a coach...then I'd listen to Rocky Top several hundred times wearing that obnoxious orange color and say....I don't think so. I also have an issue with people dating their relatives.

Latest posts