Temper your Disappointment

The first half of the conference season was brutal. Iowa has a legitimate shot to win 6 or 7 of their last 8 games.

It's not about preseason predictions so much as what you expected out the team.
If you thought Iowa was winning 25 games this season then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

That's just it, I never said Iowa was going to win 25 games. Look, I get there is going to be up and downs during the year, we might win a few were aren't suppose to and lose a few we are expected to win. I get all that, but these 4 games were very winnable, and you have the percentages to prove that. So why do we keep going back to what you or whoever thinks we should be at based on a pre-season prediction? I'm looking at what we are doing now and we should be at least 2 games better than where we stand right now, we are a better team than our record suggests. Again, that is just my thinking and the reason I don't worry about pre-season predictions.

OK Spank. We can hollar back and forth all day.

Under-EXECUTING is the same to me as under-ACHIEVING. This team has the talent/coaching to end up #5 in the league. This year. No doubt. Hands down.

We can play just as well as MSU, Purdue, Wisky and Minney. We're not PSU for Gawd sake.

To blame the level of opponent, past program performance or anything else, other than under-executing, for the current record, is a rationalization. An acceptance. I don't buy it and never will. It's not OK to "expect and accept" this.

#sethout

Last edited:
Well Michigan did advance to the second round of the tourament in Beilein's second year so yes the Michigan fan base probably did expect a 5 seed the following year.

Expectations were actually low considering that post season birth. UM got in because of big wins that year.
Going into their 4th year they were predicted to be one of the worst teams in the league.

Under-EXECUTING is the same to me as under-ACHIEVING. This team has the talent/coaching to end up #5 in the league. This year. No doubt. Hands down.

But to blame the level of opponent, past program performance or anything else, other than under-executing, for the current record, is a rationalization. I don't buy it and never will. It's not OK to "expect and accept" this.

#sethout

Fair enough, Seth.
In my opinion, underachieving means you had a goal in mind and didn't meet it.
I don't think that's the case w/ this team.

For Iowa to be this close to beating these types of teams without their leading scorer (or prev leading scorer), in my opinion, is pretty remarkable. Winning those games is all that matters in the end, I get that. But for Iowa to be competing in these games and having chances to win with Marble playing the worst basketball of his career is something to consider as well

Maybe you guys could just give credit to where credit is due and that's to the teams that are finding ways to win that are better than us to begin with. Lucky ways to boot...

Under-EXECUTING is the same to me as under-ACHIEVING. I don't buy it and never will. It's not OK to "expect and accept" this.

#sethout

From what I am getting from you and your posts, is that this is all on you. You don't want to expect or accept this, fine, go chase dreams and continue to be a homer, the rest of us will live with reality. But what good does you pizzing and moaning and telling others they are wrong when what you EXPECT and what you ACCEPT is only an opinion.

From what I am getting from you and your posts, is that this is all on you. You don't want to expect or accept this, fine, go chase dreams and continue to be a homer, the rest of us will live with reality. But what good does you pizzing and moaning and telling others they are wrong when what you EXPECT and what you ACCEPT is only an opinion.

Yawn

Just a matter of getting a shot to fall, like the tying basket in regulation last night, it bounced off the front of the rim, his the backboard and rolls in. Josh's shot goes in and out......

Mike Gesell's shot against Minnesota was close, very close to going in.......

We are merely a step away from becoming the team we thought we would be. Fran's teams continue to improve throughout the season and we Will get better.....

:)

So you take Fran at his word that our defense will make a giant leap from 180th in the country to 22nd in the nation, despite losing our best perimeter defender. You take Fran at his word that we will go from getting slaughtered on the boards, to holding our own against Mich St and Minnesota on the glass.

So I assume you also took Fran at his word regarding Josh's shooting, and Marble's play making ability? And with all that, having a borderline top 20 nationally ranked defense, having the greatest shooter Fran has ever coached, having a potential NBA player ready to make a leap to All B10 type preformer, you still came to your same prediction that we would go 9-9 in the B10?

Sorry Jon, not buying it.

You are forgetting a pretty key and important factor here....Iowa plays in the best conference in the nation and the best the Big Ten has been since at least the early 1990s. Iowa can be better but a lot of other teams were better, too. Iowa beat Indiana and Michigan last year...didn;t think that was gonna happen this year because those teams better. I felt Josh would be shooting better than he has, but no way did I think he'd come close to replacing Gatens.

You don't have to buy anything. I posted my expectations for this team in early November before they played a game. They are right on pace to what I thought they'd be as a record. They have actually been more competitive than I thought they would be.

Therefore, my panties aren't in a bunch today.

It's not about preseason predictions so much as what you expected out the team.
If you thought Iowa was winning 25 games this season then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

This is always what its about. Its not about a contest to see who was right or wrong. If something lives up to your expectations, I fail to see room for disappointment.

You are forgetting a pretty key and important factor here....Iowa plays in the best conference in the nation and the best the Big Ten has been since at least the early 1990s. Iowa can be better but a lot of other teams were better, too. Iowa beat Indiana and Michigan last year...didn;t think that was gonna happen this year because those teams better. I felt Josh would be shooting better than he has, but no way did I think he'd come close to replacing Gatens.

You don't have to buy anything. I posted my expectations for this team in early November before they played a game. They are right on pace to what I thought they'd be as a record. They have actually been more competitive than I thought they would be.

Therefore, my panties aren't in a bunch today.

You are exactly right Jon.

The top of the Big 10 is excellent. But you still get 8 conference games against teams with records of 12-11, 13-10, 11-12, 8-14.

You also have 4 cracks at Wisconsin and Minnesota who are quite good, yet very beatable. Illinois is 2-7 in the Big 10.

There is no reason this team should not get 10 wins in the Big 10. The PROBLEM with the resume is the amount of wins vs the RPI top 50.

The top of the Big 10 is excellent. But you still get 8 conference games against teams with records of 12-11, 13-10, 11-12, 8-14.

You also have 4 cracks at Wisconsin and Minnesota who are quite good, yet very beatable. Illinois is 2-7 in the Big 10.

Correct...and Iowa is just now entering the portion of their schedule where that is about all they have left. They have played the toughest conference slate of any Big Ten team right now..Purdue is 11th....Pomeroy picks Iowa 6-2 the rest of the way and Purdue 1-7 because the tables are turning. Iowa;s schedule was front loaded, which we knew since September.

Latest posts