Temper your Disappointment

Most of the disappointment has to do with 6 single digit losses in the Big Ten conference. Something that would frustrate any fan base, anywhere. Not preseason expectations.

I completely agree with you, it is frustrating, however this team has alot of youth and has a bright future. Many teams that have those types of loses are usually have a ton of upper classmen getting a ton of minutes so the future for them isn't so bright unless they are bringing in a solid recruiting class every year and the players come in ready and play at the highest level with little to no drop off in play.

I’m growing tired of the “This is what we expectedâ€￾ crapola. We have now blown 4 leads in conf games in the last minute. FOUR. Thats unreal and something none of you predicted. People have a right to be p***ed that we lost another tough one. Instead of making dumb*** butthurt threads or referring to obscure pre-season predictions lets actually talk about the game, yeah?

Three complaints
-Best shot we can get in regulation is a fadeaway three?
-Marble re-enters the game late yet again and makes an idiotic play again.
-Olaseni plays his behind off all game and doesn’t play in either OT.

Exactly! As was pointed out after the Minnesota loss, it's not the losses themselves but HOW they are losing. Iowa is blowing game after game after game, and should be more like 16-7 or 17-6 and playing for NCAA Tournament seed at this point. And with the upcoming schedule being much easier, they *SHOULD* be in position to win 22-23 games at minimum.

Those pre-season expectations were all made before any of us had even seen this team play, and amounts to little more than an educated guess, but now we're being held to that? It's as if those expectations are carved in stone and can't change throughout the season, according to some of you. As if pre-season expectations are really ever spot-on anyway..

If Iowa were just plain being beaten in these types of games, that would be one thing. But Iowa is proving it's better than that by continually being in position to win these games - except they don't.

Hmmmm....

So, because a team is meeting a pre-season, on-paper expectation, it's OK we're underachieving to the tune of four blown games?

Sorry, not buying it.

Where we should be, in Fran's 3rd year, is #4 - #5 in league play with a 5-8 NCAA bid.

To "accept" anything less is simply not palitible.

You have trouble "buying it" because its not what you expected. I just went and read my preseason prediction thread again. Iowa is actually exactly where I had them through 10 B1G games.

I felt this team would be inconsistent and have trouble winning on the road because of so many young players. If anything this team has exceeded my expectations because they've had a chance to win three straight roadies without much of anything from their best player.

I don't know how people can't factor that in. Well, I do know; emotion pretty much kicks in amd you cant fathom a didference from your perspective.

Jon you say that but then you also say things like this:

BUT, I can't think of many areas where Iowa has been consistently better than what I had hoped...they are about what I thought they'd be; a team that would flirt with an NCAA bid this year and be back in the NIT.

If you really thought Iowa would defend and rebound like they have this season, then I don't understand how you reached your prediction. This team's defense and rebounding have improved so much from last season that if we were even an average B10 shooting team we would have at least 6 conference wins. And despite the losses this is what has me most excited for the future. It's not reasonable to expect to win games by having one player get hot and outscoring teams, it is reasonable to expect quality defense and rebounding to keep you in every game you play.

BUT, I can't think of many areas where Iowa has been consistently better than what I had hoped...they are about what I thought they'd be; a team that would flirt with an NCAA bid this year and be back in the NIT.

If you really thought Iowa would defend and rebound like they have this season, then I don't understand how you reached your prediction. This team's defense and rebounding have improved so much from last season that if we were even an average B10 shooting team we would have at least 6 conference wins. And despite the losses this is what has me most excited for the future. It's not reasonable to expect to win games by having one player get hot and outscoring teams, it is reasonable to expect quality defense and rebounding to keep you in every game you play.

The quote you posts of Jon's says "I can't think of many areas where Iowa has been consistently better than what I had hoped"

If Jon found areas that were "consistently better" than he hoped for, then the team would be BETTER than he expected.

And to illustrate how silly the "it's OK we're only 3-8 because it was my pre-season, on-paper projection, etc etc"....I defy anyone with a press pass to have gone into the Iowa locker room last night and, with a straight face, told that to the team or FM.

Didn't think so.

I think this is the issue for everything related to sports in general, not just Iowa Basketball. People "expect" something in their own minds and if it doesn't happen they are disappointed.

It applies to life. We see it in every relationship we have.

And to illustrate how silly the "it's OK we're only 3-8 because it was my pre-season, on-paper projection, etc etc"....I defy anyone with a press pass to have gone into the Iowa locker room last night and, with a straight face, told that to the team or FM.

Didn't think so.

And of course it should be everyone's goal in life to merely MEET expectations, but not exceed them. If you are exceeding your goals YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

The quote you posts of Jon's says "I can't think of many areas where Iowa has been consistently better than what I had hoped"

If Jon found areas that were "consistently better" than he hoped for, then the team would be BETTER than he expected.

Our defense has been consistenetly better than anyone could have expected after last season.

Hmmmm....

So, because a team is meeting a pre-season, on-paper expectation, it's OK we're underachieving to the tune of four blown games?

Sorry, not buying it.

Where we should be, in Fran's 3rd year, is #4 - #5 in league play with a 5-8 NCAA bid.

To "accept" anything less is simply not palitible.

Wow. The program was at an all time bottom, it's the best the Big Ten has been in at least two decades if not longer, and there is no excuse in your mind for not being 4th or 5th in the league (when the 4th best team is ranked top 15)

And people have problems with my rationale? Lol

They are inconsistent. Which is what I expected out of such a young team

Hey it's not like I haven't been irritated by these missed opportunities. It's just that the next day I remind myself what I expected and what this team is.

Our defense has been consistenetly better than anyone could have expected after last season.

Before I get into this, I agree defense is way better than expected. The way I look at though, is that the poor shooting and inability to create their own shots kind of even out in my opinion. I EXPECTED shooting to be better, but in my opinion it is horrible. I EXPECTED defense to be worse, but in my opinion it is better.

Wow. The program was at an all time bottom, it's the best the Big Ten has been in at least two decades if not longer, and there is no excuse in your mind for not being 4th or 5th in the league (when the 4th best team is ranked top 15)

And people have problems with my rationale? Lol

My point is we should have at least split the four blown games....win the gimmees at the end of the season and yes, finish exactly where I stated.

Past seasons' performance is like sunk costs in business. Means zero in present day analysis. Zero. Sorry...you can't keep looking to the past in order to rationalize the present.

My point is we should have at least split the four blown games....win the gimmees at the end of the season and yes, finish exactly where I stated.

Past seasons' performance is like sunk costs in business. Means zero in present day analysis. Zero. Sorry...you can't keep looking to the past in order to rationalize the present.

Agreed 100%. Ok, so maybe Iowa doesn't win ALL the close games, but a split is a reasonable expectation IMO (and I don't care what was predicted before the season started), young team or not. Even split those games, and this season is looking totally different. I wouldn't expect to lose them ALL, either.

Not sure that 9-9 with virtually no quality wins, and a soft non-conference schedule gets us into the tournament. Iowa has missed several golden opportunities.

No way Jon, I'm just not buying that this is the team you expected.

I can tell you that nobody would have predicted the season to play out the way it has. This is a very, very, frustrating BT season. Iowa should without question be exceeding expectations. This is a much better team, that can't finish..

They are better than I expected. I had them 10-3 non-con and 7-11 B1G (with them starting 0-7).

I didn't expect them to compete with the top of the league, either, and they have, with the exception of Michigan.

Do I wish they were winning the close games? Yep, I'm a fan, so those losses stink. But the program, as a whole, is farther along than I thought it would be at this point and getting better, so I try to take the close losses in stride.

Really? So all holes are equally challenging to climb out of for all programs since every state produces the same number of equally talented kids and gets the same distribution of those kids and so on and so on. This ain't a vacuum Seth.

Not sure that 9-9 with virtually no quality wins, and a soft non-conference schedule gets us into the tournament. Iowa has missed several golden opportunities.

I agree...which is why I felt this team was more NIT likely than NCAA likely this year. Next year is a different story.

Latest posts