Tell me about The Fieldhouse

hawkeyebasketball.jpg

Row,

One of the big problems when the made the move from the Fieldhouse to Carver (imagine this) they forced season ticket holders at the Fieldhouse to take split season tickets at Carver because the demand for tickets was so high. My parents had season tickets with group of their friends at the fieldhouse when they made the move to Carver they were forced to split up.

The fieldhouse was loud but many people as sad as it is to say haven't been to Carver when it is really loud. Carver may not be as intimate as the old Fieldhouse was but it when full can be pretty damn loud.

I remember going to the Iowa Indiana game in 87 when Iowa beat Indiana 101-88 to go 18-0 and I think they were the first team to ever score 100 vs. a team coached by Knight. The place was rocking that night.

I didn't realize they made existing FH season ticket holders take splits at Carver. I had to take a split as a student back then, and it was a crappy split IMHO.

I had a buddy who was a grad student in the athletic dept, and once I sat with him in the dept. seats about 8 rows up. It really was pretty loud down there due to the funnel effect of the oval arena. I've always thought that a lot of the complaints about the place being too quiet came from people seated higher up where the sound was dispersed a lot more. OTOH, the problem remained that the crowd would go quiet as soon as one bad thing happened, though.

A year or two ago the Philadelphia 76ers did a "throwback" game at the Spectrum. If I am not mistaken, the Field House has underwent renovations since the switch to CHA, but if I am wrong the Athletic Department should look at doing a throwback game at the Fieldhouse. It could create some much-needed excitement amongst fans . . .

A year or two ago the Philadelphia 76ers did a "throwback" game at the Spectrum. If I am not mistaken, the Field House has underwent renovations since the switch to CHA, but if I am wrong the Athletic Department should look at doing a throwback game at the Fieldhouse. It could create some much-needed excitement amongst fans . . .

The Field House is NOTHING like it used to be. They could probably put some temporary bleachers in there to watch the game...wouldn't hold many people though...but probably as many as show up for games at Carver so it would at least LOOK like a sellout.

As soon as Carver was built, the Fieldhouse was gutted and remade into a student recreation facility - running track, raquetball courts, etc.(which was badly needed). No longer recognizable as the one time home of Hawkeye basketball. Not really possible to restore it with any meaningful seating capacity.

I am 80 now but remember going to the boys HS state tournament games there. It was loud and at the time Davenport with Paul Moon coaching was dominant. The place was loaded with Dport fans and I can still hear and see the Dport cheer leaders getting their fans into it. Was only one class of teams and Roland was one of them that nearly upset the big boys---it was always a packed place. Davenpooooorrtt

Hi Pops, Jeez you're old. I'm only 78. I saw every HS state tournament game from 1946 to 1950 and most while a student there from 51-54. Sure do remember Paul Moon (wearing his white bucks) and Davenports dominating teams. Gary Thompson and his team from Roland almost got them. Will never forget the crowds chanting: Let's go Roland, Let's go Roland. Ankeny with the Fontana Brothers was also small school crowd favorites in those days of 1 class tournament. We students in my college days sure made a lot of noise stomping our feet on those metal bleachers. Bucky O'Connor was such a popular coach--I met him walking on campus many times and he always had a big smile as he said hi. I remember starting baseball practice in the West half of the field house as a freshman. I wonder how many remember that that half of the fieldhouse had a dirt floor. That's also where we learned to march in ROTC. Hey! Any more of you "old timers" out there? Pops and I would like to hear your field house memories of that vintage.

The thread on Carver got me searching for stories on the old Fieldhouse and I stumbled on this thread. Some amazing stories in this thread, I'm sure people would all welcome any new stories.

Intense crowds. In the Fieldhouse the only basketball game I watched while sitting was the Harlem Globetrotters

Michigan State will still use Jenison Field House once in a great while, usually when the '79 championship team is in town for a reunion. St. John Arena at OSU is still used for women's games, as is Penn State's Rec Hall. The old Wisconsin Fieldhouse is still used for volleyball and could easily be converted for basketball.

You think that Rutgers RAC is a pit? You should see what it replaced. When they had Phil Sellers and went to the final four in 1976 there was no seating behind the players benches on that side of the court. Not even bleachers. Just an ugly wall. On TV it looked like you might have just as well been watching a game at the YMCA.

The Fieldhouse was deafening. When I say deafening...think louder than you can even imagine. I'm telling you, it would get so loud in that place that your vision would blur. It was the single best home court advantage in the B10. It was also the ugliest place or arena in the league. My season tickets were behind a big steel beam, so I watched offense on one side and defense on the other side of the pillar. I didn't care...it was just an incredible place to be if the team was playing well. The crowd just willed the team in close games...and when the Hawks were on a run, opposing teams became intimidated. Noise created turnovers and confusion in that place. Watching Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold together was like poetry. They were the best backcourt tandem I've seen in Hawkeye uniforms...they made everyone around them better...Lester especially.

I was also there during the move to Carver. It was the most disappointing transition. Carver, although a beautiful arena, removed about 75% of the home court advantage. It was a comfortable, sterile, and the sound didn't compare.

IIRC, didn't the tickets say "Obstructed Vision" if you sat in a seat where the I-Beams blocked your view of one basket? My last game at the Fieldhouse ( I was 17) was Indiana the year they won the title with Benson, May, Buckner etc. Iowa had Scott Thompson go off in the first half but May ended up with 42 points IIRC. At halftime I went down by the Indiana lockerroom and slapped the Hoosiers and Bobby Knight on the back as they came out. That is when Bobby wore that Red Crimson and Cream plaid sports jacket.

The upper deck literally swayed when the crowd got rockin'. Great, great memories.

"Restricted View", as printed on my ticket freshman year!

Allman Borthers and The Outlaws did a show there December 1980. I remember because I had an unavoidable conflict and had to miss it!

Yes I saw many great concerts there, Jefferson Starship, James Gang, allman bros, grand funk and more.

But basketball wise that place would rock with the metal bleachers, all the fans and not much for acoustic swallowing devices. Jud heathcote was on the floor more than his players when the hawks almost upset the mighty spartans and magic. Stupid refs would not tee him up as he was literally directing his players while he was standing on the floor.

I remember some monster plays by a lot of hawks but one that stands out in that 3 OT game against MInny was with no shot clock some possessions would last minutes. It was really not great for basketball but it was nerve wracking. Anyway on one possession Ronnie Lester weaved in and out of the Minny defense and at one time 4 defenders couldnt stop him. the rest of the hawks were spread on the perimeter and Lester just weaved around and then zoomed in for a layup. Amazing.

I agree with all the lists of highlights that people texted in this thread. watched some great teams from Miller in 1970 to lute

Yes I saw many great concerts there, Jefferson Starship, James Gang, allman bros, grand funk and more.

But basketball wise that place would rock with the metal bleachers, all the fans and not much for acoustic swallowing devices. Jud heathcote was on the floor more than his players when the hawks almost upset the mighty spartans and magic. Stupid refs would not tee him up as he was literally directing his players while he was standing on the floor.

I remember some monster plays by a lot of hawks but one that stands out in that 3 OT game against MInny was with no shot clock some possessions would last minutes. It was really not great for basketball but it was nerve wracking. Anyway on one possession Ronnie Lester weaved in and out of the Minny defense and at one time 4 defenders couldnt stop him. the rest of the hawks were spread on the perimeter and Lester just weaved around and then zoomed in for a layup. Amazing.
Well, now we know from Izzo got it from. His mentor, Jud Heathcote.

Ronnie Lester was a key reason why the five second guarding rule was implemented around 1981 or 1982. With no shot clock, no five second rule, and the ball in Ronnie's hands the game was ova. He was like Marques Haynes out there sometimes.

Latest posts