Tell me about The Fieldhouse

1_b836014fe572090c7fa9e907d34b4174.jpg

I think the place got so loud because of the double deck seats. Instead of going up 45 or so rows, they stacked two sets of rows of on top of each other. It was truly a university-student facility. Anyone could play on the court when they weren't practicing.

Last edited:
Allman Borthers and The Outlaws did a show there December 1980. I remember because I had an unavoidable conflict and had to miss it!
Saw Jimmy Buffett there in late 70's? I think? lol. Killing a lot of brain cells back in those days, and then the Copper Dollar for pool afterwards

IIRC, the 1982 Minnesota game was supposed to be the FieldHouse finale. But there was a delay in the finishing touches on the new arena. So they continued to play in the FieldHouse during the 82-83 non conference season.

This is where it really gets wierd. They move to Carver and their first basketball game is against Michigan State, but about three weeks later when Indiana comes to town, there was a water pressure issue or some malfunction like that at brand new Carver, and they have to play at the field house one last time. So they had their last FieldHouse game at least three times stretched over two seasons.

That Carver debut was a microcosm of so many heartbreaking Iowa finishes, and it happened in the arena's first game. Trailing Michigan State late with one last chance to win, Bob Hansen or Steve Carfino hits an apparent game winning shot from the left corner. But good ol Ed Hightower is seen already pointing to where we stepped out of bounds near mid court before passing it for the game winning attempt. It was the correct call, but heartbreaking none the less. I've seen us lose when the refs failed to notice stuff like that. I saw them disallow Roy Marble's game winning shot at Minnesota in 1989 when we threw a pass similiar to the one Connor threw last night and the clock "accidentally" started before Marble caught the pass.

The B1G, in all their infinite wisdom, allowed a member of the home staff to operate the clock
under "supervision". Thank God they abolished that in time. You would see clock shenanigans at least three or four times per year.

I was at that game!

One word to describe the Fieldhouse...... LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were there for the JV game, well the JV game in 1974, before that Iowa v MN game, you would have seen me on the floor. Wartburg JV played Iowa's JV at the Field House - we lost by 12. I scored 14 and had 9 boards in the loss. When we went into the shared locker room, the MN players were there - Mychal Thompson and Flip Saunders were playing for MN. Iowa won but I'll never forget our manager, who was from MN, went right up to them and started talking to them (they were pretty nice to him).

The 69-70 season I remember because I was a student. On January 3rd,1970 Iowa played Purdue which had Rick Mount, a tremendous scorer. Iowa won that game 94 to 88. It would go on to a perfect big ten season. Iowa would play @Purdue later that season. Rick Mount would score 61 points and lose to Iowa 108 to 107.
I attended a high school that was part of the Eastern Iowa Hawkeye Conference. The conference held an indoor track meet in the field house in March. It was about an 1/8 of a mile around the inside perimeter. It was confusing because the finish line was not where the starting line was. To my embarrassment I let up after passing the starting line which cost me a better ribbon. The field house was indeed an "IOWA" field house, not just a Iowa Hawkeye arena. I often think that rotating the HS sports championships between Iowa City, Ames/DesMoines,and Cedar Fallls would bring back some of the that feeling about all of the arenas.

Born in '77, I have no memories of the old field house. Wish I could have experienced it!

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Lots of great stories.

I believe all the old arenas really have the best atmosphere.. Something about the acoustics I guess? The fieldhouse looks like a place where there's no place for the noise to escape to, unlike carver. 13000+ packed into a smaller space.. New arenas look nicer but don't really seem quite the same.

I have to admit I don't get around to various arenas for games in-person, though, so can only go by what I see on TV and read about in threads like this one.

Was lucky enough to attend the Medeast Regional games at the fieldhouse in 1966. General admission ticketts and the fieldhouse was so packed my cousin and I sat with our legs dangling above one of the upper deck entrances. Michigan/
Western Kentucky and Kentucky/Dayton were the semis, Michigan/Kentucky for the finals. Western Kentucky had Clem Haskins, Dayton had Henry Finkel who played for the Celtics, Michigan had Bill Buntin, Oliver Darden, Larry Tregoning, George Pomey and Cazzie Russel. Kentucky had Pat Riley and Louie Dampier at guard. I remember Adoplh Rupp in a really ugly brown suit and looking ancient.
Kentucky beat Michigan in the finals and W Kentucky over Dayton for 3rd place. The sound was deafening and the atmosphere amazing. Kentucky was the team beaten by Texas Western in the famous final game.

The 69-70 season I remember because I was a student. On January 3rd,1970 Iowa played Purdue which had Rick Mount, a tremendous scorer. Iowa won that game 94 to 88. It would go on to a perfect big ten season. Iowa would play @Purdue later that season. Rick Mount would score 61 points and lose to Iowa 108 to 107.
I attended a high school that was part of the Eastern Iowa Hawkeye Conference. The conference held an indoor track meet in the field house in March. It was about an 1/8 of a mile around the inside perimeter. It was confusing because the finish line was not where the starting line was. To my embarrassment I let up after passing the starting line which cost me a better ribbon. The field house was indeed an "IOWA" field house, not just a Iowa Hawkeye arena. I often think that rotating the HS sports championships between Iowa City, Ames/DesMoines,and Cedar Fallls would bring back some of the that feeling about all of the arenas.

Dude! I also attended an EIHC high school! Won a medal for high jump my senior year. Yes, it was confusing as hell for the runners. Fortunately for me I didn't run any events - I would have tripped over the lines on the track!

Dude! I also attended an EIHC high school! Won a medal for high jump my senior year. Yes, it was confusing as hell for the runners. Fortunately for me I didn't run any events - I would have tripped over the lines on the track!

I too remember the old EIHC. I miss some of those rivalries, as the districts look so different now.

1979? Iowa v IL when IL was poised to be #1 earlier in the week. Noise beyond comprehension. Made sounds distorted. One of the IL players later became my youth basketball team assistant coach. He forgot he wasn't going to help at a game (tourney) and he called me during his Big's team where he was also an asst to tell me he wasn't coming.

The noise at the Field House truly was louder than anything I've ever experienced. The crowd reacted to every play and seemed on top of the court.

Here are some guys that I saw play in the old Fieldhouse.

Ronnie Lester
John Johnson
Magic Johnson
Greg Kelser
Downtown Freddy Brown
Kevin Kunnert
Bruce Sky King
Cal Wulfberg (married Lute Olson's daughter?)
Scotty Thompson
Alan Hornyak
Luke Witte (Ohio St players)
Jim Brewer gopher?

You forgot the great Sam Williams!!!

As a student in early 80's... they pulled a curtain along a metal wire to 'close practice' for Hawks or opponent shoot around..... remember Lou Henson going nuts when a Frisbee came over the curtain and almost hit him.

When practice was done, playing pick-up on the same court with many football players - Owen Gill was just fun and Quinn Early I think could have played Bball for Iowa also.

Took a Theory of Coaching basketball class - taught by asst coach Jim Rosborough (coaches did that back then). Final class, trainer John Strief came in and told the Ronnie Lester story and helping move his mom out of the projects in Chicago after being drafted in the 1st round. Lots of sniffles and moist eyes when he was done....

I was raised in Ottumwa in a dirt poor family, and was only able to see 1 Iowa game in the fieldhouse. It was the Rick Mount game! Of course, I was right behind a pillar, but what a game to attend!

I also saw only 1 game at the Uni-dome in Cedar Falls [town of my birth] when the kid from Augustana set the scoring record vs UNI, don't recall his name.

I wish I could have said I attended a game at the Fieldhouse, but only on TV. I do remember the opening of Carver and the water issue that they had. Carver seemed so "state of the art" back then and while I enjoy going to games in Carver (there isn't a bad seat in the arena) I can only imagine what it was like in the Fieldhouse, Carver loses a lot of sound with the concourse being open all the way around the arena (which is also why so many leave their seats early).

Keep the stories coming. It's been over 37 years since they played in the Fieldhouse and the day will come when there isn't anybody around to tell these stories.

The thing I remember about the Fieldhouse was in close games and the other team had the ball, it was just insanely loud and if the other team scored...it would go quiet and the collective groan of Iowa fans would linger. Then on the next defensive possession it would be deafening again. It was such a rollercoaster and it drove opposing teams crazy. It was the way Cameron is now for Duke.

I also remember certain opposing players just loved it and took great pleasure in quieting the crowd. Most people won't remember Mike McGee from Michigan, but he was a gamer. I remember in a tight game back in 1981 I think, Kevin Boyle was guarding him and was absolutely all over him and he hit shot after shot quieting the crowd and he would do the "sshhh" with the finger to the mouth. Boyle was getting so frustrated that Lute eventually had to take him out...I think McGee had like 34 or something.

After a tight Iowa game in the Fieldhouse...I remember walking out of that place exhausted and elated at the same time if we had won a close game. It was intense. I think that was the difference with Carver...the intensity of the crowd and noise and the crowd's feeling they had a hand in the outcome. Carver took that all away. It really was a much different feeling...I remember at the time thinking "Carver really sucks."

The thing I remember about the Fieldhouse was in close games and the other team had the ball, it was just insanely loud and if the other team scored...it would go quiet and the collective groan of Iowa fans would linger. Then on the next defensive possession it would be deafening again. It was such a rollercoaster and it drove opposing teams crazy. It was the way Cameron is now for Duke.

I also remember certain opposing players just loved it and took great pleasure in quieting the crowd. Most people won't remember Mike McGee from Michigan, but he was a gamer. I remember in a tight game back in 1981 I think, Kevin Boyle was guarding him and was absolutely all over him and he hit shot after shot quieting the crowd and he would do the "sshhh" with the finger to the mouth. Boyle was getting so frustrated that Lute eventually had to take him out...I think McGee had like 34 or something.

After a tight Iowa game in the Fieldhouse...I remember walking out of that place exhausted and elated at the same time if we had won a close game. It was intense. I think that was the difference with Carver...the intensity of the crowd and noise and the crowd's feeling they had a hand in the outcome. Carver took that all away. It really was a much different feeling...I remember at the time thinking "Carver really sucks."
Mike McGee was the epitome of a streak shooter and when he got hot, it didn't matter who was guarding him. He had some Kingsbury qualities to his game.

I, for one, never saw a game at the FieldHouse. Only saw them on TV. Many of them on the Iowa Television Network. But when Lute got things rolling it was appointment TV. I was in high school and you wanted to make sure your homework was done early when the Hawks were on TV.

My childhood Hawk fan memories start at the tail end of games in The FieldHouse with the Lester and Arnold team and I recall the transition to Carver in '82-'83. I didn't see any games live but reading this thread sure brought back memories of watching on TV an how raucous it was when playing in The Fieldhouse.

I bet you that arena would not be able to pass certain inspections this day in age. It was a great atmosphere, but I'm sure it had ran its course pertaining to the construction, standards and inspections. This may be why they had to build a new arena, well, and for recruiting of course.

Old Field House. Wow. Watched all of Ralph Miller's 6 pack home games. What an incredible treat. Went one afternoon during the week and walked into the North Gym and watched them practice for about a 1/2 hour. Nobody seemed to notice I was there. That was the best passing Iowa team I have ever seen, period.

Very loud. Loudest I have ever heard, any where. Also watched most of Lute Olson years. "Sky" King and that team were about as physical as you could find. Sat in the upper deck on the metal bleachers and when fans would stomp on them, the noise was deafening.

Sat waiting for the team's return from the final four and loved the celebration. Seems like it was the middle of the night before we got out of there.

It was so hot in there you could barely breath, then walked out to the winter cold and nearly froze Had to walk back to the student housing, which were 2nd world war Quonset huts. They were where Hancher is now.

Often celebrated wins at The Mill, with Writer's Workshop crew, or headed over to Pagliai's for a world class pizza. Still go there today along with all three of my married kids and 7 grandchildren.

Saw two great concerts in the House. The Supremes, which stood like statues and performed for only about 45 minutes. Simon and Garfunkel, on the other hand, did two 1 hour sets with a short break, no back up band, 2 three legged stools and a 12 string guitar. The movie The Graduate had just come out and when they sang Mrs. Robinson the crowd went wild.

I could go on and on (well I guess I already have) about individual players. Sam Williams was certainly one of the most dominating I have ever seen. Of course, Ronnie Lester and his teams.

Frankly, though it is certainly different, I really like Carver Hawkeye. Like the very different arrangement with the concourse and the "pit" effect of the arena. Have taken several friends to games there and they were quite impressed. I know lots of posters don't agree with me, but so be it. To each his/her own.

Great, great memories. Hoping for quite a few more!

Latest posts