Storminspank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say let the chips fall where they may lay. I will remain neutral towards McCaffery until he has proven his capabilities are worthy. In saying this, I only hope the best. He is entering into the Big-Ten, then again as Butler has proven, with the right coaching, and the right players you can win against the big boys any time of the day. He seems to be a likeable guy who has a sincere heart to give his best. If his best is what he gives and it shows then he is to be applauded. At Iowa we need Best Efforts. I hope that he can turn things around and make us proud.

Go Hawks!

I say let the chips fall where they may lay. I will remain neutral towards McCaffery until he has proven his capabilities are worthy. In saying this, I only hope the best. He is entering into the Big-Ten, then again as Butler has proven, with the right coaching, and the right players you can win against the big boys any time of the day. He seems to be a likeable guy who has a sincere heart to give his best. If his best is what he gives and it shows then he is to be applauded. At Iowa we need Best Efforts. I hope that he can turn things around and make us proud.

Go Hawks!

Good post!

I think a lot of people will take a "wait and see" type of approach.

Spank,

Hang in there! You don't need to prove to anyone who has read your stuff
that you bleed black and gold. In the heat of the moment anyone can
mis speak. I have great hope for our new coach. I was hopeful for the last one too but whatever ---Let's all move on. ON IOWA.

How could you possibly be disappointed with anybody we ended up with? The only way to really know about a hire is to look at the product on the court in basketball season. Even if we hired Phil Jackson, Bobby Knight, Bruce Pearl, or whoever you wanted, there's no guarantee that they would be a good fit for Iowa and bring success to the program. How can you say that Fran isn't going to be a "bigger, better" thing for Iowa when the bottom line is you just don't know. Sorry for bringing up your Lickliter Coach of the Year prediction earlier but it just illustrates that it's hard to talk about a guy's future and make decisions before he has done anything.

Fans can be just as disappointed or excited as they want to be, right now, final product unseen. You seem to be arguing that nobody is entitled to an opinion until after we've seen Iowa's new coach at work. That's not the way these things work. Did your candidate in the last presidential election win? If not, did you allow yourself to be disappointed, despite the fact that you didn't know how the victor's term was going to play out?

Iowa fans have had some rough years. I think an attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it" is perfectly healthy in this instance. He could end up being the best thing ever to happen to Iowa basketball, but right now, he's not one of the many names that most fans wanted, and that disappoints people.

And by the way, it's not up to Iowa basketball fans to rally around their new coach. It's up to the new coach to give Iowa basketball fans something to cheer about. That's what he's getting paid to do.

After the last two coaches, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I like how some folks here will call a guy a shill for not offering an honest opinion on the program, but when Stormin does some call him stupid or dumb. The facts actually support what Storminspank tweeted. At least he had the guts to say it.

At least half of the fans are NOT excited about this hire. We know Barta screwed up the last hire. We know that well over half of the seats are empty at Carver for mens basketball and all agree this hire will not change that for some time.

Part of Gary Barta's job is to SELL the mens basketball program. That means to sell it to fans and potential coaches. It seems obvious that he does not have the capability to do this.

There is no need to call someone stupid or dumb because you disagree with them, especially when someone is basing their argument on this AD's current history.

Good points about Barta's job.

Sorry, I am here, I've been up in the Cities spending time with my wife and son for my birthday, haven't had a lot of time to hit up the boards this weekend.

If you are going to link to the Tweet I made, at least link it correctly :):
Twitter / Justin VanLaere: If Gary Barta fired Todd L ...

That Tweet was made before confirmation of Fran becoming Iowa's next coach.
I'm sure everyone at the time this happened said, "Awesome! We got McCaffery."

Even Iowa spelled his name and the school he came from incorrectly in the release on the website...

And if you stayed with my Tweets, you would have realized that I also said that I would be fine with it in a little while, just needed time to vent and that I was disappointed from the onset. I heard about this possibly going down late last night, early morning and I got very very concerned. About the same level of concern as I was when Lickliter was hired.

I had held out hope that this hire might be the splash hire. It might the one to rival Tubby being hired by the Gophers. Instead Iowa got another mid-major coach.

Like I said, I need some time to vent, some time to get out my feelings off the cuff.

At no point am I saying I will not support Coach McCaffery at Iowa, in fact just the opposite, but damned if a guy can't have an opinion on the hire, I guess.

Nice witch hunt you got going, though:
monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

I'm a Iowa Hawkeye basketball commenter, I will continue to comment on all things related to Iowa Hawkeye basketball. I still chuckle at those that have me a self-proclaimed "expert" or "insider". Come on now. I still plan on commenting on Iowa Hawkeye basketball.

Well, there's only one thing left to do..............................let's see if Storm floats.........

After reading his posts I've yet to figure out how he got the label he has around here. The tweets about how overrated Scheyer and Singler are just cement that as if comparing Tucker to Arenas didn't.

I like how he said the fact that Iowa fans had to google McCaffery was an example of how bad it was. Like he didn't have to do the same with Gregory earlier on.

I'm not sure how serious basketball fans didn't know who he was after they housed Vandy two years ago and beat OSU last year. Bilas was constantly loving up those teams. Or how much his name has popped up for jobs the last two years.

This post is correct. Anyone who thought Lick was going to get it done here checked their bball IQ at the door.

Everyone seriously needs to get off of their high horse. I am not any less informed or intelligent than you, I am not acting "childish", or being "immature", or a "moron" because I don't like this hire. Every single person is entitled to an opinion...what if everyone who doesn't like the hire starts calling all of you supporting it morons? Think you would all get very defensive very quickly. I'm not any less intelligent than you or any less of an Iowa fan than you simply because I think Barta may have made a terrible hire.....time will tell, and I hope it works out, but regardless of what happens in 3 or 4 years, this hire, right now, at this stage in Iowa Basketball, was very poor.

What's really going to be entertaining is that if/when McCaffery does well at Iowa, I'll get ripped because I "hated McCaffery" and "said he would fail" or some other bogus quote...

Such is life. ;)

What's really going to be entertaining is that if/when McCaffery does well at Iowa, I'll get ripped because I "hated McCaffery" and "said he would fail" or some other bogus quote...

Such is life. ;)

But spank, we really want to see this happen right? This means Iowa is playing winning basketball again. ;)

I know I have said crap about this hire but I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong. I WANT to be wrong and I will be the first to jump on the Fran bandwagon if he turns this program around.

But spank, we really want to see this happen right? This means Iowa is playing winning basketball again. ;)

I know I have said crap about this hire but I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong. I WANT to be wrong and I will be the first to jump on the Fran bandwagon if he turns this program around.
I'd prefer not to have my comments taken out of context (like they have in the past), but I'll absolutely take looking like an "idiot" to see Iowa back on the national stage and relevant once again in college basketball.

I sincerely hope Fran is the Man.

Fans can be just as disappointed or excited as they want to be, right now, final product unseen. You seem to be arguing that nobody is entitled to an opinion until after we've seen Iowa's new coach at work. That's not the way these things work. Did your candidate in the last presidential election win? If not, did you allow yourself to be disappointed, despite the fact that you didn't know how the victor's term was going to play out?

Iowa fans have had some rough years. I think an attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it" is perfectly healthy in this instance. He could end up being the best thing ever to happen to Iowa basketball, but right now, he's not one of the many names that most fans wanted, and that disappoints people.

And by the way, it's not up to Iowa basketball fans to rally around their new coach. It's up to the new coach to give Iowa basketball fans something to cheer about. That's what he's getting paid to do.

Well put.

While I agree with your ideas a little there is one key difference between the Iowa basketball coach and the presidential election. The new basketball coach will want what every hawkeye fan wants...TO WIN BIG. A new president who you didn't vote for will probably want things that you don't want; taxes, abortion, healthcare whatever the topic. So if the president succeeds with his agenda it hurts you at least in some ways. Very different from Iowa Basketball.

I realize that some people are going to be disappointed but we need Fran the Man to succeed or else Iowa basketball will be in a world of hurt. As a fan I truly believe part of your job is doing everything possible to help him succeed. That means getting to Carver and cheering through the rough years. If by year 3 we are still losing than we know he failed.

Personally, I could think of a lot worse coaches that Barta could have hired and a lot better, most of which Iowa did not have the slimmest chance of hiring.

The really nice part of this coach is that he turned down other jobs because he WANTED to be at Iowa and I like that. I don't think Lickliter ever really wanted to be a Hawkeye, he was always a Butler coach at heart (I may be wrong), that's just how I feel. This coach WANTS to be at Iowa and will in all likelihood STAY at Iowa like Ferentz.

He brings a fun style of BB, is engaging, his players will love him, I believe he will win the fans over, and his wife is a hoot. He sounds perfect for Iowa. He is not a snake oil salesman and the people of Iowa are going to like him.

I only wish I was in Iowa City so I could go meet him today.

Personally, I could think of a lot worse coaches that Barta could have hired and a lot better, most of which Iowa did not have the slimmest chance of hiring.

The really nice part of this coach is that he turned down other jobs because he WANTED to be at Iowa and I like that. I don't think Lickliter ever really wanted to be a Hawkeye, he was always a Butler coach at heart (I may be wrong), that's just how I feel. This coach WANTS to be at Iowa and will in all likelihood STAY at Iowa like Ferentz.

He brings a fun style of BB, is engaging, his players will love him, I believe he will win the fans over, and his wife is a hoot. He sounds perfect for Iowa. He is not a snake oil salesman and the people of Iowa are going to like him.

I only wish I was in Iowa City so I could go meet him today.

^^^THIS^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts