Storminspank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be unprofessional, wouldnt you first have to be professional? Justin isn't doing this as a career, its a hobby and he brings a lot of passion. I am glad he is a part of the team even though we have different opinions on things from time to time. Usually I wind up being right, and he quickly admits that, so we get along real well ;)
Ohhhhhhhh... I see what you did there.

:)

And to address the recruits following my Twitter, don't worry. Most, if not all, have already made up their minds on what they are going to do. And none of what I post has anything to do with what they decide. They are smart guys, who are big enough to make their own decisions.

I have not seen anyone more passionate about Hawkeye basketball than Spank and some of you want to run him out of town for having an opinion. Grow Up!

Sorry, I am here, I've been up in the Cities spending time with my wife and son for my birthday, haven't had a lot of time to hit up the boards this weekend.

If you are going to link to the Tweet I made, at least link it correctly :):
Twitter / Justin VanLaere: If Gary Barta fired Todd L ...

That Tweet was made before confirmation of Fran becoming Iowa's next coach.
I'm sure everyone at the time this happened said, "Awesome! We got McCaffery."

Even Iowa spelled his name and the school he came from incorrectly in the release on the website...

And if you stayed with my Tweets, you would have realized that I also said that I would be fine with it in a little while, just needed time to vent and that I was disappointed from the onset. I heard about this possibly going down late last night, early morning and I got very very concerned. About the same level of concern as I was when Lickliter was hired.

I had held out hope that this hire might be the splash hire. It might the one to rival Tubby being hired by the Gophers. Instead Iowa got another mid-major coach.

Like I said, I need some time to vent, some time to get out my feelings off the cuff.

At no point am I saying I will not support Coach McCaffery at Iowa, in fact just the opposite, but damned if a guy can't have an opinion on the hire, I guess.

Nice witch hunt you got going, though:
monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

I'm a Iowa Hawkeye basketball commenter, I will continue to comment on all things related to Iowa Hawkeye basketball. I still chuckle at those that have me a self-proclaimed "expert" or "insider". Come on now. I still plan on commenting on Iowa Hawkeye basketball.

What the hell is wrong with you, Stormin', making a tweet like that? Many of us had our own ideas about what we'd like to see in a new coach. I will agree that this hire is not exactly the "splash" I was hoping for. But I learned long ago I can't get everything I want.

His resume looks solid, it looks like he has handled a couple turn-arounds (that counts a lot for me), he badly wanted this job (certain number of brownie points there) and he looks like a winner. Best of all, it appears we've seen the last of Butler ball for a while.

Here's a thought: maybe this is the best we could do. And maybe this will turn out to be a great hire.

He deserves a chance here. To be successul, the Iowa fan base needs to get jazzed and behind the program once again.

"Lickliter is going to be Coach of the Year" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

to whoever wrote "grow up", all I have to say is...

message boards?

Last edited:
Here's a thought: maybe this is the best we could do. And maybe this will turn out to be a great hire.

If this is true then this program is in worse shape than I thought it was. I can only wonder who all the coaches are that rejected Barta for an interview.

He deserves a chance here. To be successul, the Iowa fan base needs to get jazzed and behind the program once again.

I don't doubt that this could be a great hire. Doesn't mean I can't be a bit concerned about the hire. Again, it was a spur of the moment Tweet just before I heard it was "official".

Of course I am going to get behind the coach, I've already admitted earlier that I like the up-tempo game, the pressing D, the "good guy" he is, and his good player relations. That doesn't mean I am not allowed to vent, does it?

I never once uttered the phrase that Lickliter should be fired. I laid out the facts of his era, and said that I didn't see how he could succeed at Iowa. you can still listen to the podcast at kxno.com

Jon, you said it on your radio show the Friday before Lick got canned. You might not have said "fired" but you called for a change in the head coach. C'mon.

It's pretty obvious Storminspank wrote that in the heat of the moment and I am sure a lot of you guys thought the same thing when you heard about the guy being hired. Some people just need to relax a little bit.

How short a memory most folks have.

I remember when Lickliter was announced as the new Iowa coach Spank was not a fan of that decision. However, Spank was one of the last message board people still supporting Lickliter until he was fired.

So Spank doesn't care for Fran.... big deal. I'm not wowed by it either. However, it is what it is and if he can bring Iowa back to relavence than I'm behind him. I have no doubt Spank will be there too.

How short a memory most folks have.

I remember when Lickliter was announced as the new Iowa coach Spank was not a fan of that decision. However, Spank was one of the last message board people still supporting Lickliter until he was fired.

So Spank doesn't care for Fran.... big deal. I'm not wowed by it either. However, it is what it is and if he can bring Iowa back to relavence than I'm behind him. I have no doubt Spank will be there too.

While you speak the truth, there are some out there that won't believe you. :)

I'll be in Fran's corner, but it doesn't mean we can't be skeptical of the hire.

While you speak the truth, there are some out there that won't believe you. :)

I'll be in Fran's corner, but it doesn't mean we can't be skeptical of the hire.

why don't you try letting him step a foot inside Carver Hawkeye before burning him at the stake

btw nice avatar lol. is that you??

Last edited:
why don't you try letting him step a foot inside Carver Hawkeye before burning him at the stake

Look, I've said it before... I like his offensive and defensive styles, I like the way he is with his players... it doesn't mean I can't be a little disappointed in who Barta ultimately ended up with. Is it so wrong to want bigger and better things for Iowa?

Don't mistake being upset with the job Barta did with not being behind Coach McCaffery. Those are two separate things.

Look, I've said it before... I like his offensive and defensive styles, I like the way he is with his players... it doesn't mean I can't be a little disappointed in who Barta ultimately ended up with. Is it so wrong to want bigger and better things for Iowa?

Don't mistake being upset with the job Barta did with not being behind Coach McCaffery. Those are two separate things.

I think a lot of depends on your point of view (not yours specifically, just speaking generally) of who you thought Iowa would be able to get. Iowa needs a guy who is going to roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty, and who is willing to get his *** kicked for the first year. Looking at his bio, Coach Fran has won everywhere he's been, even if it hasn't been right away.

To expand on this, if you (once again, not you specifically) were of the opinion that Iowa would be able to land a guy like Pearl, Drew, or any other "hot" coach, it shouldn't come as a surprise to feel a little let down by Coach Fran.

Last edited:
Spank, shame on you!!! You are supposed to support the coach no matter who they hired. You are not entitled to an opinion and these forums are supposed to be all about celebrating our next coach.

I think we should all run over to the other teams forums celebrating our hire. WooHOO, we got Coach Fran!!!

I was hoping for a big name hire also. I wasn,t happy this morning when i saw who they hired. When we got in the house tonight my 10 year old and I did some checking and he actually got excited when he saw what kind of style Sienna played. I think the best part is we won't have to hear the "sienna" way. I think it looks like his kids just played hard and pushed tempo.

How could you possibly be disappointed with anybody we ended up with? The only way to really know about a hire is to look at the product on the court in basketball season. Even if we hired Phil Jackson, Bobby Knight, Bruce Pearl, or whoever you wanted, there's no guarantee that they would be a good fit for Iowa and bring success to the program. How can you say that Fran isn't going to be a "bigger, better" thing for Iowa when the bottom line is you just don't know. Sorry for bringing up your Lickliter Coach of the Year prediction earlier but it just illustrates that it's hard to talk about a guy's future and make decisions before he has done anything.

Spank, shame on you!!! You are supposed to support the coach no matter who they hired. You are not entitled to an opinion and these forums are supposed to be all about celebrating our next coach.

I think we should all run over to the other teams forums celebrating our hire. WooHOO, we got Coach Fran!!!

You can have an opinion, but if people don't like it, expect to hear about it.

Nobody's stopping you from having an opinion, but that doesn't mean people wont question it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts