Still wondering if Woody is a future lottery pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those thinking Woody wasa future lottery pick, or even a first rounder needs to watch tonight's game about a hundred times over. There was be lottery center out there tonite, and he's a Hoosier.

Meyers Leonard, a lottery pick this past draft, averaged 2ppg and 1.2 rpg as a freshman. Woodbury is averaging 4.8 ppg and 5rpg. With Woodbury playing twice the minutes that Leonard did as a freshman, their stats are very similar. In other words, you have no idea how a player will develop after their freshman year.

If I was an NBA GM I'd salivate over Zeller. I'm not sure there is a pure center in the big leagues that runs like him. He will never ever post up. But imagine him rolling to the basket for Kyrie Irving. A truly unique skill set.

1. He's a great passer, double teamed or not.

2. "Stop trolling your own" references the 18 threads you've started about Woodbury to rub peoples noses in the fact he's not averaging 18 and 10.

I've agreed hes a great passer, which will yield great dividends once his low post game commands double teams. I could see him averaging 3 assists per game which is a huge number for a big.

2) Yeah 18, or two. Same thing.

Woody actually played good last night. The whole game the announcers would say how impressed they were on how he did against Zeller. Maybe the stats don't show but he did what he could. Woodbury has most of the tools it takes. Offensively we don't go to him much, they usually have him out setting screens. When he gets the ball out there he has good vision and can pass better than most point guards. Rebounding and defensively he's solid.

I've agreed hes a great passer, which will yield great dividends once his low post game commands double teams. I could see him averaging 3 assists per game which is a huge number for a big.

2) Yeah 18, or two. Same thing.
Your threads or his ppg?

If I was an NBA GM I'd salivate over Zeller. I'm not sure there is a pure center in the big leagues that runs like him. He will never ever post up. But imagine him rolling to the basket for Kyrie Irving. A truly unique skill set.

I would to, the other thing I like about Zeller is that he has a nastiness about him. He looks all farm boyish but when he gets out there he is not afraid to bang people around and he gets a way with a lot of no calls. As a rookie in the NBA he might not get away with some of the stuff he does in the B1G but he will once he establishes himself.

I would to, the other thing I like about Zeller is that he has a nastiness about him. He looks all farm boyish but when he gets out there he is not afraid to bang people around and he gets a way with a lot of no calls. As a rookie in the NBA he might not get away with some of the stuff he does in the B1G but he will once he establishes himself.

Agree. They also overlook how physical and strong he is. He's got NBA shoulders and arms now.

Meyers Leonard, a lottery pick this past draft, averaged 2ppg and 1.2 rpg as a freshman. Woodbury is averaging 4.8 ppg and 5rpg. With Woodbury playing twice the minutes that Leonard did as a freshman, their stats are very similar. In other words, you have no idea how a player will develop after their freshman year.

it's not the numbers

it's the skill sets

playing with numbers is cool and all but you're not comparing players, you're comparing (out of context) numbers

woody has a good skillset

arms a little short--he's like the white kevin willis in that regard -- and that's going to limit shot blocking. he's also never going to be explosive. he's the kind of will perdue 5 who needs a lot more muscle to play his game. his footwork is good for a freshman big man, he has nice hands, but he's getting pushed around.

look at brad miller or will perdue. that's the upside of woody and that's an upside that will make this team pretty good as soon as he develops the strength to play in the post at this level.

he'll be better than jepsen or earl or krafcisin (the only true hawk centers worth mentioning over the last 30 years...stokes and payne and lohaus were really 4s). he's just not lotto good.

MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
30.7, 4.9-8.7, .566, 0.0-0.0, .000 3.8-5.3, .703, 8.6, 0.8, 4.0, 0.8 1.8 1.8 13.6
24.8, 2.9-5.4, .536, 0.0-0.0, .000 3.2-4.0, .795, 6.3, 0.7, 3.6, 0.6 2.5 1.3 9.0
6.2, 0.8-1.3, .647, 0.0-0.0, .000 0.7-1.3, .515, 1.8, 0.2, 0.7, 0.2 1.0 0.5 2.3
3.0, 0.5-0.9, .538 ,0.0-0.0, .000 0.3-0.6, .556, 1.4, 0.0, 0.4, 0.1 0.5 0.2 1.3

arms a little short--he's like the white kevin willis in that regard -- and that's going to limit shot blocking. he's also never going to be explosive. he's the kind of will perdue 5 who needs a lot more muscle to play his game. his footwork is good for a freshman big man, he has nice hands, but he's getting pushed around.

look at brad miller or will perdue. that's the upside of woody and that's an upside that will make this team pretty good as soon as he develops the strength to play in the post at this level.

he'll be better than jepsen or earl or krafcisin (the only true hawk centers worth mentioning over the last 30 years...stokes and payne and lohaus were really 4s). he's just not lotto good.

This is pretty much exactly right. The problem is I can't think of any Will Perdues in todays game. Maybe Chris Kayman? The biggest barrier for Woody might be lack of a 15 foot jumper. You really need one of those to make the half court game work for you in the NBA.

This is pretty much exactly right. The problem is I can't think of any Will Perdues in todays game. Maybe Chris Kayman? The biggest barrier for Woody might be lack of a 15 foot jumper. You really need one of those to make the half court game work for you in the NBA.

Its a shame he won't be able to practice for the next 4 years.

he's not going to be better than Acie and Brad Miller has been knocking down three's in the NBA since 2005. Poor comparison.

And if you think that Zeller will still be in the league 10 years from now, forget it. He will be dominated down low. He's an average shooter (for NBA centers) and nothing that stands out. Think about the Centers he'll be going against. He's a backup at best. If he's taken in the top 12 picks, i'll be shocked. Honestly, I don't see Zeller getting better. I think he's peaked. I however think Woody has a higher ceiling. Will he get there? We'll see. I think we'll see a huge improvement going into next season. He's where I thought he'd be or maybe a little better. I don't remember a 7 footer that looked this good as a freshmen for us in my lifetime. Pretty tough league he played in and right now, we're still on the short end of the stick in overall team talent. Next year, things improve in all areas. I expect Woody to be a bigger contributor next year and the combo of Melsahn, Woody and Olesani will be a very solid front court.

Id take Zeller over probably %70 of the bigs in the nba right now.

There is only a hand full of actual low post players in the nba anymore, most of them are like Zeller but not as good.

Its a shame he won't be able to practice for the next 4 years.

Oh he will get plenty of time to develop a jumper, its just no guarantee he does. He is going to develop size and strength, a 15 footer? Im not so sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.