Still wondering if Woody is a future lottery pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty much exactly right. The problem is I can't think of any Will Perdues in todays game. Maybe Chris Kayman? The biggest barrier for Woody might be lack of a 15 foot jumper. You really need one of those to make the half court game work for you in the NBA.

Anderson Varjio, Marchin Gortat, Brook Lopez, Andrew Bogat, Omer Asik, Joel Anthony, Spencer Hawes, Aaron Gray, Jason Collins, Borris Diaw, Nikola Pekovic, Greg Stiemsma, Ronny Turiaf

Just a small sample of a league full of unimpressive big men.

Will Perdue would be in the nba today.

he's not going to be better than Acie and Brad Miller has been knocking down three's in the NBA since 2005. Poor comparison.

miller was in the low post in college. the 3 was something he developed to keep himself in the league.

he has the potential to be overall better than acie. earl could block shots, but that exaggerates how good he was defensively. he wasn't a strong post defender. he was also a black hole when he got the ball. woody has better hands and doesn't suck the life out of the offense when he gets the ball. if he develops into 13ppg scorer, when you add his other skills you have a better overall offensive player than acie.

woody won't be the shot blocker, but he's a better post defender, even with the strength problem, than earl was as a soph.

LOL, thats how poor the big man quality has gotten that Joakim Noah is considered good.

maybe not so much the decline in quality as the change in the 5 man's role. the game now is all about dribble penetration. robert parish would just clog the lane in today's nba. the 5 guy is mainly a high post roadblock for ball screens who needs to be able to knock down 15+ft jumpers or hit a cutter with the pass.

zeller actually fits that mold pretty well.

For those thinking Woody wasa future lottery pick, or even a first rounder needs to watch tonight's game about a hundred times over. There was be lottery center out there tonite, and he's a Hoosier.

Haseem Thabeet
Kwame Brown
Eddy Curry
Shawn Bradley
Darko Milicic
Ed Pinckney

There are many others if you want me to go on...

Id take Zeller over probably %70 of the bigs in the nba right now.

There is only a hand full of actual low post players in the nba anymore, most of them are like Zeller but not as good.

Hilarious. It's obvious you are completely clueless and know little about the NBA.

maybe not so much the decline in quality as the change in the 5 man's role. the game now is all about dribble penetration. robert parish would just clog the lane in today's nba. the 5 guy is mainly a high post roadblock for ball screens who needs to be able to knock down 15+ft jumpers or hit a cutter with the pass.

I agree on Zeller but the role of the 5 has been allowed to diminish simply because there is no one around who can dominate the paint anymore.

Right now teams can play small ball because they don't have to worry about defending the block.

Put Shaq/Ewing/Morning/Olajawan/Duncan ect in the nba now and every team has to pick up big bodies to defend them and it changes the game back.

Drop Shaq into the nba now with the way the rosters are composed and you may as well not even play the season.

Yes the NBA has changed, but a lot of the big men from the mid 80's through the mid 90's could play any style of basketball, that is why the game was so good then.

The big man depth in the NBA may/may not be as strong as it used to but the way bigs play in the NBA is vastly different in today's game. It's hard to compare bigs today to the bigs of the past. Plus, when people think big man, they think center. The 4 and 5 are so interchangeable in the game that you must include both with discussing post-players and there are still lots of good players at those positions.

Id take Zeller over probably %70 of the bigs in the nba right now.

There is only a hand full of actual low post players in the nba anymore, most of them are like Zeller but not as good.

Zeller struggled to score against Woodbury when he didn't get the ball in transition or off of a rebound. He was completely manhandled by Mbakwe the other night, he has absolutely no jumper whatsoever (he shot less than 10 jump shots all of last season). He's a poor rebounder for a guy his size. He will not be able to do anything offensively against any decent NBA big, if you would take him over 70% of the guys in the NBA you are clueless.

Anderson Varjio, Marchin Gortat, Brook Lopez, Andrew Bogat, Omer Asik, Joel Anthony, Spencer Hawes, Aaron Gray, Jason Collins, Borris Diaw, Nikola Pekovic, Greg Stiemsma, Ronny Turiaf

Just a small sample of a league full of unimpressive big men.

Will Perdue would be in the nba today.

I get that none of those guys are great centers, but I can't say any of them remind me much of Will Perdue either. Of course I'm not familiar with some.

Zeller struggled to score against Woodbury when he didn't get the ball in transition or off of a rebound. He was completely manhandled by Mbakwe the other night, he has absolutely no jumper whatsoever (he shot less than 10 jump shots all of last season). He's a poor rebounder for a guy his size. He will not be able to do anything offensively against any decent NBA big, if you would take him over 70% of the guys in the NBA you are clueless.

Yeah I'm with Rock on this. I'm having trouble coming up with 8 better NBA centers right now.

Can we get back to the part in the game in which Woody was standing fully erect with his hands in the air? That merits further discussion.

Yeah I'm with Rock on this. I'm having trouble coming up with 8 better NBA centers right now.

Howard, Vaerjo, Gortat, Asik, Bogut, Chandler, Ibaka, Nene, Kaman....there you go.

You thought Basbabe could go pro after his junior year despite being undersized and having no real offensive game at the time, you're NBA knowledge speaks for itself.

Change in the 5 man's role or a bunch of dudes who like to play out on the perimeter and play like they are 6'5? A guy who can play with his back to the basket with an array of low post moves are almost non-existent. A true low post defender is even more rare in today's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts