Still wondering if Woody is a future lottery pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget that Duff claimed Basabe would be leaving for the NBA after his junior year, so any predictions about a players NBA potential should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

And Zeller will be a lottery pick but the fact that he struggled to score against Woodbury straight up is not a good sign for future NBA success. Zeller does one thing well, run the floor, he's going to struggle to score and rebound at the next level.

The kid is 18. And raw. But act like his potential is forgetable and your just a dumb fan. He has nba height, it's up to him to decide if he can develope his game enough to be a top big10 center.

LOL you think in three years Woody will be as athletic as Zeller?

Not as a fast-break player, but in some key ways, yes. "Athletic" covers a lot of territory.

I don't know that Woody's gonna be a lottery pick. But I am certain Duff has the brains and class of the clown in my avatar.

Woody will play in the NBA. He won't be a lottery pick, he just doesn't have the athleticism, and that won't improve enough to ever warrant a high draft pick. But he's a good defender, tough, runs the floor despite not being a great athlete, great passer, and by the time he's leaving Iowa, will be strong enough to be pretty good in the post. The athleticism won't magically improve, but strength can be worked on.

Woodbury gives us some size and fouls inside this year. He's also getting experience and learning what it takes at this level. He will be better next year and much better his last 2 years.

I don't really watch the NBA. I want to cheer for him as a Hawk and want him to play well. If he stays injury free he will be a very good true center in the NCAA. He will also be a tough matchup for other teams since there are very few true post up centers in college basketball in this era.

I don't care if he's a lottery pick after his freshman year or his senior year.

His credentials before becoming a Hawk are stellar.
He didn't go to Ohio State. Or Wisconsin. And most importantly, Roy Williams didn't steal another high-talent Iowa kid to help him to final fours.

He's doing some good things now and he's going to improve.

And if you think that Zeller will still be in the league 10 years from now, forget it. He will be dominated down low. He's an average shooter (for NBA centers) and nothing that stands out. Think about the Centers he'll be going against. He's a backup at best. If he's taken in the top 12 picks, i'll be shocked. Honestly, I don't see Zeller getting better. I think he's peaked. I however think Woody has a higher ceiling. Will he get there? We'll see. I think we'll see a huge improvement going into next season. He's where I thought he'd be or maybe a little better. I don't remember a 7 footer that looked this good as a freshmen for us in my lifetime. Pretty tough league he played in and right now, we're still on the short end of the stick in overall team talent. Next year, things improve in all areas. I expect Woody to be a bigger contributor next year and the combo of Melsahn, Woody and Olesani will be a very solid front court.

no one in their right mind thought he was a lotto pick

he's a 4-year guy, he'll probably be high 2nd round

big jump his jr. year

he's also made a huge difference in team d this year, even without blocks

The kid is 18. And raw. But act like his potential is forgetable and your just a dumb fan. He has nba height, it's up to him to decide if he can develope his game enough to be a top big10 center.

This is a very bad observation. Woody isn't raw, at all. He's a very polished player in fact. He is very physically overmatched right now.

no one in their right mind thought he was a lotto pick

he's a 4-year guy, he'll probably be high 2nd round

big jump his jr. year

he's also made a huge difference in team d this year, even without blocks

very much agree. Despite being overmatched at times he's a very willing and physical defender.

And if you think that Zeller will still be in the league 10 years from now, forget it. He will be dominated down low. He's an average shooter (for NBA centers) and nothing that stands out. Think about the Centers he'll be going against. He's a backup at best. If he's taken in the top 12 picks, i'll be shocked. Honestly, I don't see Zeller getting better. I think he's peaked. I however think Woody has a higher ceiling. Will he get there? We'll see. I think we'll see a huge improvement going into next season. He's where I thought he'd be or maybe a little better. I don't remember a 7 footer that looked this good as a freshmen for us in my lifetime. Pretty tough league he played in and right now, we're still on the short end of the stick in overall team talent. Next year, things improve in all areas. I expect Woody to be a bigger contributor next year and the combo of Melsahn, Woody and Olesani will be a very solid front court.

1) LOL that Zeller has peaked. He's what, 20? He's going to get much much better.
2) LOL that Zeller won't be a top 12 pick. Barring injury he's a sure fire lottery pick, probably top 5.
3) LOL that Woodys ceiling is higher an Zellers.

There is such a lack of quality big men in the NBA right now that Zeller could easily play in the league for 10 years. Will he dominate? No. He will probably average 5 or 6 points a game playing for 4 or 5 teams in a 8-12 year career. There is a Zeller on every NBA bench and they stretch out long NBA careers simply because of their height.

Duffman...you know I love you...but stop being "that guy" who thinks a player can't improve...that he is what he is, from the moment he steps on campus his freshman year. You're better than that...

At least, I thought you were...

I think you need to re-read what I've said about Woody.

You seem to be so talented looking three years into the future Miller should probably pay you to post stock recommendations and numbers to play in Powerball.

Hey! Miller predicted this years basketball record. He does not need help. He can guess with the best of them.

7, 1, moves his feet very well and can run and also only a freshman. I'm really excited to see how Woodbury evolves with Iowa over his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts