Steve Alford new coach at UCLA

2012-13 Lobo Men's Basketball | Steve Alford Steps Down-Press Conference - YouTube

Wow, at the 16:10 minute mark or so (he just finished up talking about "excellence at UCLA") follow up question and the look on his face when he has to admit that the lack of NCAA success at UNM is not considered "excellent"...priceless.

That was a brutal question and classic response. I assumed he'd have some kind of smooth comeback, but he just said "yeah. yeah." and moved on.

Again...

Think of how hard it is to get talent to commit to Iowa City, Iowa as opposed to Los Angeles, California.

While you make other good points, you are dissing Iowa City. It isn't a large town, but is it really that much worse than Lincoln, NE? (where they can seemingly get good football players)? Or Lawrence, KS? (where they consistently get good basketball players)? Bloomington, IN? (a few good years of basketball) Or are you talking weather? Syracuse? (I hear they play some hoops there) Gonzaga? (They have a few wins the last couple of years)

While the weather is nice in LA, do you really think that's a factor? If it was, Hawaii would have the national champion every year. Nope, it's the coach. Or are all of you on these boards too young to remember what Maury John did at traditional powerhouse Drake?

Last edited:
Again...

Think of how hard it is to get talent to commit to Iowa City, Iowa as opposed to Los Angeles, California.

Comparing what he did here has nothing to do what he can do at a school in California. We're talking about a school that produces the likes of Reggie Miller, Russel Westbrook, Kevin Love, Darren Collison etc. to a school whose best players in recent years are Reggie "nut slapper" Evans and Ricky "triple double off my own backboard" Davis.

I have no doubt Alford will get out of the first round many times at UCLA, that's not going to be the problem for him though. He's going to need multiple final four berths or better. Steve Lavin brought boatloads of talent to UCLA and was fired after three straight sweet 16's. There's no question New Mexico and Iowa were more talented than Harvard and NW State, so it's not just a matter of talent, it's underperforming against weaker teams in the tournament. And Alford is going to need to be able to win 4+ games in a row against tournament quality competition and in the last 13 he hasn't shown the ability to even win 2 in a row.

Nope, their first post in that thread. Don't hate on the Lobo's right now, they are going through what we went through. That makes 2 fan bases using the phrase Alfraud to describe that sleeze ball.

Yeah except the difference between when he left here and when he left there is that people there actually like him. He basically got the nice Barta version of firing from Iowa.

Hopefully this will be the last round of bashing and we can move on... Alford seems to be like that girlfriend that we had that we never really liked and we finally get rid of her by her decision... Then despite our good fortune, we continue to wonder who she's dating? Is she happier with her new boyfriend? Wondering if she broke up, and who her new boyfriend is going to be? Let's realize we are fortunate were still not dating the bi%&h and realize we have a hot girlfriend now... I don't want to spend anymore time or energy on this dude!

Hopefully this will be the last round of bashing and we can move on... Alford seems to be like that girlfriend that we had that we never really liked and we finally get rid of her by her decision... Then despite our good fortune, we continue to wonder who she's dating? Is she happier with her new boyfriend? Wondering if she broke up, and who her new boyfriend is going to be? Let's realize we are fortunate were still not dating the bi%&h and realize we have a hot girlfriend now... I don't want to spend anymore time or energy on this dude!

I agree...no problem with 1 last round of quality bashing or the trolling of the Lobos. I get it. I'm just too happy with Fran and the direction our program is headed to worry about a past mistake. I want 2 more wims this season.

While you make other good points, you are dissing Iowa City. It isn't a large town, but is it really that much worse than Lincoln, NE? (where they can seemingly get good football players)? Or Lawrence, KS? (where they consistently get good basketball players)? Bloomington, IN? (a few good years of basketball) Or are you talking weather? Syracuse? (I hear they play some hoops there) Gonzaga? (They have a few wins the last couple of years)

While the weather is nice in LA, do you really think that's a factor? If it was, Hawaii would have the national champion every year. Nope, it's the coach. Or are all of you on these boards too young to remember what Maury John did at traditional powerhouse Drake?

Here's my response.

1) Lincoln can't get hoops recruits. But even at that, Lincoln is way closer to Omaha than IC is to Des Moines. 2) Lawrence is still fairly close to KC. Manhattan would be a better comparison. But they have the advantage of being a major conference JC. 3) Bloomington is less than an hour from Indy. 4) Cuse allows access to some basketball Meccas. It isn't Iowa to Chicago. 5) There just aren't that many schools out west and the and the Rockies set up a fairly significant border. Believe me. I travel from the Mid-South the West Coast several times a year. Beyond that, Gonzaga is a highly regarded Jesuit university and the Cascades help break up the landscape. I hate Spokane, but they do have a nice performing arts center and a Nordstroms.

So yes all of those places has a considerable advantage over Iowa. That being said. IC and Lawrence are BY FAR the best college towns.

I assume you sat near the Alfords in church when he was at Iowa. I can not think of any other reason for you to think he is a good man.

Yeah, if any of the stories about him are true than he's far from a good man.

That said though, I pretty much act under the assumption that nearly everyone involved in sports are awful people.

Bernstein has hated Alford for a loooong time. going back to the Pierce days.

from the article

"Alford enlisted the help of close friend Jim Goodrich, the campus representative for Christian group Athletes in Action who often traveled with the team and conducted bible-study sessions. Per specific instruction from Alford, the victim was invited to what she was told was a “prayer meeting,” at which she was urged to back off and not cause problems for a basketball program that could overpower her.Don’t make waves, honey, in the name of Jesus. The Lord wants you to shut up, if you know what’s good for you."

this is why i'll always root against Alford.

Like. Probably the best post on the subject. I don't blame Steve Alford for what happened to Iowa basketball, I blame the idiot fans who thought he was the savior. I like where we're heading now and I hope Steve Alford goes on to find success (so long as it isn't at the expense of Iowa, that is).

I have a better analogy for the situation. Iowa fans are like the father of a young girl who has been raped. The rapist (in this case Alf, not PP) got off on a technicality and was never punished for his crime. The father spends more time than he should following the rapist around trying to keep him from raping other girls. If the rapist had been convicted (Alf fired) the father would not spend any time going to prison to see the rapist. I know we would have had to pay a buy out to fire him, but that money would have bought a lot of justice for out program.

I know we would have had to pay a buy out to fire him, but that money would have bought a lot of justice for out program.

Oh no, if everything is as egregious as was claimed on these boards, he probably could have been fired for cause and it wouldn't have cost the school a nickel. I know the crowds got sparse under Alford and everybody said it was because they hated Alford, but my recollection was that we had quite a few sellouts in the 2005-2006 season when we had a pretty good team. Seems to me like we had a lot of fair weather fans.

I have a better analogy for the situation. Iowa fans are like the father of a young girl who has been raped. The rapist (in this case Alf, not PP) got off on a technicality and was never punished for his crime. The father spends more time than he should following the rapist around trying to keep him from raping other girls. If the rapist had been convicted (Alf fired) the father would not spend any time going to prison to see the rapist. I know we would have had to pay a buy out to fire him, but that money would have bought a lot of justice for out program.

Interesting use of the rapist analogy considering the situation.

But you are exactly right, this is why Lick does not get 10 page threads over any of his activities. I hope some day Lick gets another shot at coaching at a high level, I think he came into a bad situation and he was not the right coach for the job. In the right situation I think Lick can be a good coach. If this ever happened there would probably be 1 thread on here announcing it, a little chatter on Little Lick, and it would probably die after 4 pages.

That is a horrible analogy and rather offensive.

Latest posts