Stephen A. Smith Rant - Vote For Trump

I'm an avowed lefty, and will attempt to answer your questions:
1) Re Jan. 6, I broke ranks with my anti-Trump friends and never believed he should be prosecuted for "instigating" the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. I listened to his entire speech that day and he never came close to saying anything criminal. Was he aware of plans to attack the Capitol? Of course, he gets security briefings every day. Did he play into that energy with his speech? Yes. Was he hopeful that somehow he might hold onto power? Judging from the content of his speech, possibly. Was he neglectful in executing his role as 'Commander in Chief' to assure a peaceful transfer of power that day? Having full knowledge of the attack and doing nothing for 3 hours would suggest yes -- and this is what he could have been prosecuted for.
2) Were Feds in the crowd on Jan. 6? I'd be shocked if they weren't! Holy cow, it's no secret they have informants within every radical group in the country, on both sides of the political spectrum. I was an anti-nuke leader in CA back in the late-70s, and when I requested my Freedom of Information files I discovered they had plants in our meetings and at the highest levels of progressive organizations -- I'm sure the same is true of right-wing groups. But did the Feds initiate the violence on Jan. 6? Of course not.
3) Re: the classified documents case, Trump brought this upon himself. If he just would have given the files when first asked, he wouldn't have been prosecuted. He was basically asking to be charged.
4) Re election results, I think the recording of Trump's call to the Georgia Sec. of State answers all your questions related to this. Trump didn't care if the election was fraudulent or not, he just didn't want to lose. He didn't call the Georgia Sec. of State and ask him to double-check to make sure the election there was fair...he requested that the Sec. of State find X number of votes, so he would win. This is surely a prosecutable offense, coming from the President of the U.S. Well, I guess it would have been, prior to last week's Supreme Court ruling.
A lot of your points I countered in my last post. But I will say this. I heard somewhere recently that the biggest issue with the left is they block out any info they don't agree with (like Huck puts people on ignore the second they mention anything right leaning). For the left thats way easier to do than the right because other than X, all social media suppresses right leaning stories. All mainstream media other than Fox is left leaning. Basically all of Hollywood spews out all the left talking points. I feel like most people on the right take in both sides and makes an educated decision after. Most people on the left ignore one side completely and only listen to story's slanted to the left. One thing I know without a doubt in my mind is if I did that I would be agreeing with everything you said. The left does a pretty damn good job of putting out their narrative so its easy to buy into it. I think they overplayed their hand with covid and now a lot of people see whats going on. I see videos all the time on X of news media using the exact same words to push out their narrative. It's impossible to be a coincidence that they always use the exact same words. Phrases like take away our democracy, convicted felon, and horse dewarmer come to mind. Once you see the propaganda it's impossible to unsee.

I saved this point for its own post for the tldr crowd. If there were feds in the building in Jan 6th, it's possible they pushed the riot and it's possible they didn't. But I give two shits about that. What i care about is if there were feds there in the crowd (supposedly they infiltrated the proud boys and other right wing groups) that means they knew it was coming beforehand. How could they possibly be there unless they knew it was going to happen? So here's the kicker. They knew the "insurrection" was going to happen, but they didn't do anything to prevent it.

The naritive now is we were dangerously close to losing our democracy that day. But the feds knew it was going to happen and let it all go down! All these rich old white politicians were scared for their lives but the feds let it happen? If that crowd of unarmed people truly had a chance to overthrow the government and hang Pence, why did they let that happen?

I'll tell you why they let it happen. Because they knew nothing bad was ever going to happen. And even if some bad shit did go down, the political gain that democrats (and some republicans) could get from it would be well worth it.

Just think for a second about which side had a chance to gain something from that day. The only way Trump's side would gain anything is if all those unarmed people came in and killed everyone and Trump just walked right back into the white house no questions asked. Was that truly a possibility? Did Trump really think he could get another 4 years if a crowd broke into the capital and killed everyone?

The democrats have gained so much from that day. There is nothing else Trump has ever done to make "our democracy is at risk" make any sense. Without 5hat day, their biggest taking point would make less sense than the "good people on both sides" one. When I ask myself the question "how could that day ever have helped Trump" and then think about how much it's helped Biden, there's only one logical answer to what all went down that day. The feds being there and letting it happen just cements what I already know.

A lot of your points I countered in my last post. But I will say this. I heard somewhere recently that the biggest issue with the left is they block out any info they don't agree with (like Huck puts people on ignore the second they mention anything right leaning). For the left thats way easier to do than the right because other than X, all social media suppresses right leaning stories. All mainstream media other than Fox is left leaning. Basically all of Hollywood spews out all the left talking points. I feel like most people on the right take in both sides and makes an educated decision after. Most people on the left ignore one side completely and only listen to story's slanted to the left. One thing I know without a doubt in my mind is if I did that I would be agreeing with everything you said. The left does a pretty damn good job of putting out their narrative so its easy to buy into it. I think they overplayed their hand with covid and now a lot of people see whats going on. I see videos all the time on X of news media using the exact same words to push out their narrative. It's impossible to be a coincidence that they always use the exact same words. Phrases like take away our democracy, convicted felon, and horse dewarmer come to mind. Once you see the propaganda it's impossible to unsee.
You say "most people on the right take in both sides and make an educated decision after."
Below is a comment by a member of that fraternity a couple posts ago: "You are NEVER going to convince me that election was on the up and up. NEVER. Never going to convince me the dems didn't have ballots stuck in storage units they could pull out when needed to sway certain precincts."
Is that person "taking in both sides"? Is that person willing to consider that endless investigations -- many of them run by Republicans -- turned up nothing indicating election-day wrong-doing by either party?
Partly what's scary about many on the right is their UNwillingness to listen to both sides...when Trump boasted that he could shoot somebody on a crowded NY street for no reason and his supporters would still support him, he was right.
I get equally frustrated with my left-wing friends who watch only MSNBC and think that has anything to do with reality. Egads.

You say "most people on the right take in both sides and make an educated decision after."
Below is a comment by a member of that fraternity a couple posts ago: "You are NEVER going to convince me that election was on the up and up. NEVER. Never going to convince me the dems didn't have ballots stuck in storage units they could pull out when needed to sway certain precincts."
Is that person "taking in both sides"? Is that person willing to consider that endless investigations -- many of them run by Republicans -- turned up nothing indicating election-day wrong-doing by either party?
Partly what's scary about many on the right is their UNwillingness to listen to both sides...when Trump boasted that he could shoot somebody on a crowded NY street for no reason and his supporters would still support him, he was right.
I get equally frustrated with my left-wing friends who watch only MSNBC and think that has anything to do with reality. Egads.
I think saying "you will never convince me" is a bit extreme, but I'm not far behind that. I stayed up really late on election night and watched live how the swing states all quit counting while all the other states kept adding to their count. I watched for hours waiting for just a small percentage more of the votes to come in in those states only to finally give up and go to bed because I had to work early. When I got up, all of those states swung to Biden.

I get the argument that they were counting mail in votes that were mostly Democrat votes. But why did all of those states stop reporting counted votes while all the other ones kept adding to their count? Then suddenly they reported all of their votes in one lump sum. That's not how the counting works. They report the votes as they come in. They don't stop reporting for hours and then suddenly report a huge number. I've never seen it happen before.

I think you missed my point about the right taking in both sides tho. My point wasn't that people on the right are more open to understanding both sides. My point was that the right gets the left's viewpoints jammed down their throats from everywhere. There's no hiding from it. If people on the left don't listen to fox news or get on X, they won't have a clue on what the right thinks.

You can argue back and forth all day about how people are bias about which facts they choose to believe, but I couldn't imagine people on the right not knowing basic facts like Rittenhouse shot white people or you probably won't end up in the hospital if you get covid. That's because the mainstream media purposefully hides facts to shape views.

By the way, I'm speaking in general terms. I understand there's exceptions to the rule. Your last sentence proves to me you are an exception.

Have you listened to Trump's delivery at his rallies? I agree with your concerns about Biden's ability to do the job long term, but I think that Trump is truly off his rocker. His niece, the clinical psychologist Dr. Mary Trump, labeled him a malignant narcissist. There are other democrats that I'd prefer to run for POTUS than Biden. That being said, if Biden refuses to step down, I'll vote for him and his risky longevity.
I don't really disagree with you. Yes, Trump has some issues. But, I would strongly propose that most if not pretty much all high politicians are narcissistic. It just comes with it. He doesn't always say the right things and acts childish, no doubt, but he still has much more mental acuity than any other option at this point.

Honestly, this country in NO WAY can afford to have Biden with his health situation leading this country. It can't even be debated at this point, IMO. No other option.

Dude, I said that AFTER knowing how the election went down and after hearing some precincts had more voters that what they should have. After knowing some precincts miraculously had thousands of votes show up for the democratic party after midnight the night before. If I said this prior to the election, I get your point you are trying to make, but this is after what I witnessed. That sir, is an opinion.

In addition, I work at a major university and prob one of the or the most liberal cities in Iowa and have done so for 31 years. Trust me when I say I've seen or heard both sides. I see the L view a ton more than the R where I am at. I can't even tell you how much university HR bullshit and training I have to go thru each year that is required. I literally see protests every two weeks on campus, mostly for stupid shit.

Last edited:
Dude, I said that AFTER knowing how the election went down and after hearing some precincts had more voters that what they should have. After knowing some precincts miraculously had thousands of votes show up for the democratic party after midnight the night before. If I said this prior to the election, I get your point you are trying to make, but this is after what I witnessed. That sir, is an opinion.

In addition, I work at a major university and prob one of the or the most liberal cities in Iowa and have done so for 31 years. Trust me when I say I've seen or heard both sides. I see the L view a ton more than the R where I am at. I can't even tell you how much university HR bullshit and training I have to go thru each year that is required. I literally see protests every two weeks on campus, mostly for stupid shit.
There is a pretty big distinction between having a firm stance on something that happened 3+ years ago and having a firm stance 3+ days after like a lot of people did.

PC said, "...I heard somewhere recently that the biggest issue with the left is they block out any info they don't agree with..."

I try to be open to new info, but if the info isn't logical or backed by evidence, or if the source of the info is a pathological liar or Fox (but I repeat myself), I tend not so much to block further info from that source as to look very skeptically at the new info.

PC said, "The left does a pretty damn good job of putting out their narrative so its easy to buy into it. I think they overplayed their hand with covid and now a lot of people see whats going on."

This second statement is amorphous. What does it mean? If you are referring to enforced masking and school closures, much that was done by the left at local, state and national levels was overdone, but I believe that the judgement of overdone-ness could only be made in retrospect. With this new, potentially fatal disease for which we were largely unprepared, I can understand how the authorities would err on the side of over-caution. Science needed time to understand and then develop treatments for the disease, so, in the meantime, it recommended precautions (masking) for a potentially airborne disease. It seemed to be most devastating for older people, while younger people seemed to be largely unaffected while at the same time being able to transmit the disease. Older people worked in the schools, and many kids lived with or around older people, so the schools were closed so as to reduce the potential for transmission from kid to kid to older people. In the meantime, hospitals were filled to the brim with Covid patients. The authorities basically were flying blind, throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping some would stick. So I have to ask you, if you were a person responsible for protecting the people from severe illness or death, and you had limited information about a new virulent disease, what would you have done?

"So I have to ask you, if you were a person responsible for protecting the people from severe illness or death, and you had limited information about a new virulent disease, what would you have done?"
I'll tell you what they would have done, the same thing DeSantis and most other Republican governors did at the time: shut their state down as much as possible. The hypocrisy of those who did the smart thing given the limited amount of info we all had to work with at the beginning of the worst pandemic in 100 years, and who now turn around and say all the vaccines and distancing was BS -- just drives me nuts. Hind sight is great. Short memories aren't.

"So I have to ask you, if you were a person responsible for protecting the people from severe illness or death, and you had limited information about a new virulent disease, what would you have done?"
I'll tell you what they would have done, the same thing DeSantis and most other Republican governors did at the time: shut their state down as much as possible. The hypocrisy of those who did the smart thing given the limited amount of info we all had to work with at the beginning of the worst pandemic in 100 years, and who now turn around and say all the vaccines and distancing was BS -- just drives me nuts. Hind sight is great. Short memories aren't.
Wasn't hindsight for everyone. Masking was BS and vaccines were and are absolute BS for those least vulnerable; which is and was a huge chunk of the population (facts determined VERY early during the pandemic). I said it was BS back in the fall of 2020 and it all holds true to me today. There's the huge junk of the population who could choose to take their health into their own hands and start exercising and eating healthy and if they did so could probably remove themselves from falling in the 'vulnerable category'. But for them i assume the easier route is to sit back and shame those who don't need a vaccine because they believe they're being inconsiderate. Simply pathetic.

Too all the crazy covid fear mongers out there: why do you think even 4 years later the government is still pushing the population, even children, to get vaccinated instead of promoting the population to get healthy by exercising and eating healthier?

If one's rights are more important to any injustice done by that person (right to own people and enslave them) then abortion makes sense. However who would agree that someone has the right to own and ensalve another person...that right, if you call it that pales in comparision to the injustice of slavery. Now abortion. Here there is no moderation. A baby dies. Every time. This is unjust. And its still true that a woman is deeply inconvinienced.

PC said, "...I heard somewhere recently that the biggest issue with the left is they block out any info they don't agree with..."

I try to be open to new info, but if the info isn't logical or backed by evidence, or if the source of the info is a pathological liar or Fox (but I repeat myself), I tend not so much to block further info from that source as to look very skeptically at the new info.

PC said, "The left does a pretty damn good job of putting out their narrative so its easy to buy into it. I think they overplayed their hand with covid and now a lot of people see whats going on."

This second statement is amorphous. What does it mean? If you are referring to enforced masking and school closures, much that was done by the left at local, state and national levels was overdone, but I believe that the judgement of overdone-ness could only be made in retrospect. With this new, potentially fatal disease for which we were largely unprepared, I can understand how the authorities would err on the side of over-caution. Science needed time to understand and then develop treatments for the disease, so, in the meantime, it recommended precautions (masking) for a potentially airborne disease. It seemed to be most devastating for older people, while younger people seemed to be largely unaffected while at the same time being able to transmit the disease. Older people worked in the schools, and many kids lived with or around older people, so the schools were closed so as to reduce the potential for transmission from kid to kid to older people. In the meantime, hospitals were filled to the brim with Covid patients. The authorities basically were flying blind, throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping some would stick. So I have to ask you, if you were a person responsible for protecting the people from severe illness or death, and you had limited information about a new virulent disease, what would you have done?
When I said the left does a good job of putting out their narrative, I meant the media. I wasn't talking about how things were enforced. Those are two separate issues. I watched a really good video clip by Bill Maher awhile back that proves my point. He talked about how a poll was done asking democrats and Republicans what the odds are of ending up in the hospital if you get covid. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like 90% of democrats think there is a greater than 50% chance you end up in the hospital and something like 30% of Republicans thought there was a 90% chance. The true answer was something like 10% of people go to the hospital.

The reason for that is the media put out the narrative that left wanted out, and it was soooooo far from the truth. It wasn't an accident because they didn't know what was going on yet. The numbers were already out but because of how the media reported, democrats thought covid was way worse than it was and Republicans (who also see right slanted medis) still thought the numbers were worse than they were. That's pretty damning evidence.

If I was in charge, I probably would have been duped early on and shut down too. You're right that even Republican governors shut down. But they opened up way earlier. And Faucci even admits they were guessing early on. He came out right away and said masks don't work to stop viruses. It was a known fact that the particles are too small for regular masks. He also said the 6 foot distancing thing was completely made up. So while you say normal people us hindsight to say the distancing was BS, Faucci knew it was the whole time.

As far as short memories go. How about the short memory of "no one ever said the vaccine will prevent you from getting it"? That's exactly what everyone was saying. Now its coming out that ivermectin works. They tried and tried to make an extremely safe and cheap HUMAN drug the boogie man. How many people did they let die because they wanted to pimp the new expensive, less tested drugs?

Wasn't hindsight for everyone. Masking was BS and vaccines were and are absolute BS for those least vulnerable; which is and was a huge chunk of the population (facts determined VERY early during the pandemic). I said it was BS back in the fall of 2020 and it all holds true to me today. There's the huge junk of the population who could choose to take their health into their own hands and start exercising and eating healthy and if they did so could probably remove themselves from falling in the 'vulnerable category'. But for them i assume the easier route is to sit back and shame those who don't need a vaccine because they believe they're being inconsiderate. Simply pathetic.

Too all the crazy covid fear mongers out there: why do you think even 4 years later the government is still pushing the population, even children, to get vaccinated instead of promoting the population to get healthy by exercising and eating healthier?
The fall of 2020 was plenty time to detect the BS. There were people calling BS in the spring of 2020. I call that a lucky guess. Unless you had inside info, the only reason to say it was BS that early is if you simply had no trust in government. So maybe it wasn't a lucky guess.

Latest posts