Spencer Petras

Let's not forget their HC is a guy that left a job at Wisky to go there because why? I suspect he couldn't get along with Alvarez. Beyond that nobody goes backwards on purpose wtf. Gave up money and a lot of wins doing that. Oh and he's bringing back the coach he replaced that couldn't cut it in Nebraska that only went to Nebraska because he was about to get fired at OSU if he didn't take another gig. Needless to say their coaching isn't exactly stellar

Gary Anderson is no longer the coach at Oregon State. He quit mid-year. The replacement HC is a former OSU quarterback and he hired Riley for his staff. But I get your bigger point, they are not steeped in hall of fame coaches or anything although I think Riley could end up being a good assistant coach.

Last edited:
Gary Anderson is no longer the coach at Oregon State. He quit mid-year. The replacement HC is a former OSU quarterback and he hired Riley for his staff. But I get your bigger point, they are no steeped in hall of fame coaches or anything although I think Riley could end up being a good assistant coach.
Totally forgot that about Anderson. I had heard that back at the time but forgot. See that's just how irrelevant their program is ha. Thanks for straitening me out

because the kid is 17 or 18 and probably doesn't have a memory of either programs history and only knows the now. that's why i've been beating the drum (into a dead horse) for years that we need to open up the offense to get better skill players to come. We have 2 former Hawk qb in the NFL, right now, and a current qb that threw for 25/7 in his first year as a starter as a true SO. Our recent history completely dominates OSU's at the qb position. The real question is why didn't this kid want to stay in Cali? but that's a personal decision that i'm awfully glad he didn't want to.
I'm all for opening up the offense, and trying to capitalize by bringing in better WRs and QBs, but it has to start with having the proper coaches in place. Not trying to bash KOK at all, but he's demonstrated that he's okay but not great at developing QBs. Davis was flat out awful. We really haven't had a really good QB coach since Snyder. That's the primary reason I was pushing for David Raih as OC and QB coach instead of Brian.

As for the recruits, their young ages are a factor, but you have to remember that in this day and age, the higher level recruits always have several adults in their ears. H.S. coaches, parents, camp coaches, etc. are all heavily involved in researching programs and giving advice. Most kids are going to be pretty aware of each program's history of success whether they lived it or not.

I hope Harbaugh didn't see these highlights...
Okay. That was funny too.

But Harbaugh doesn’t need to see highlights.

Whoever Iowa offers, then Michigan does too and adds, “we love you. Our bad for not even talking to you for your varsity career. But we’ve always had an eye on you.”

I'm all for opening up the offense, and trying to capitalize by bringing in better WRs and QBs, but it has to start with having the proper coaches in place. Not trying to bash KOK at all, but he's demonstrated that he's okay but not great at developing QBs. Davis was flat out awful. We really haven't had a really good QB coach since Snyder. That's the primary reason I was pushing for David Raih as OC and QB coach instead of Brian.

As for the recruits, their young ages are a factor, but you have to remember that in this day and age, the higher level recruits always have several adults in their ears. H.S. coaches, parents, camp coaches, etc. are all heavily involved in researching programs and giving advice. Most kids are going to be pretty aware of each program's history of success whether they lived it or not.
Davis developed Beathard, the first Iowa QB to throw a pass in the NFL in very, very long time.

Davis developed Beathard, the first Iowa QB to throw a pass in the NFL in very, very long time.
Really? I won't discount his contribution completely, but I find it hard to give Davis a lot of credit for developing Beathard. CJ came into the program with a fairly advanced natural skill set and he was a natural leader as well. He just needed to mature and take his role more seriously. When he did, the coaches handed over the reigns.

I've noticed that Greg Davis is now responsible for every let down at Iowa including everything that happened prior to his tenure and of course this craptastic conference season is his fault as well. And of course the bowl losses are his fault as well.

People are stupid.

Last edited:
Really? I won't discount his contribution completely, but I find it hard to give Davis a lot of credit for developing Beathard. CJ came into the program with a fairly advanced natural skill set and he was a natural leader as well. He just needed to mature and take his role more seriously. When he did, the coaches handed over the reigns.

I can tell you who kept him on the bench in 2014

Let's think about this. KOK actually got 2 high caliber qb's to de-commit in order to give Iowa a serious, serious look. He got the 2 to schedule visits within a week or so of offering. It felt like to me that Wilson wanted to pull the trigger for Iowa but Petras beat him too it. Wilson now is likely for BYU. I could be wrong about that, but KOK did get both kids to schedule visits within a week of their offer.

A couple things. High amount of credit to KOK for having the credibility to win over both kids and their families and this is, I believe, what happens when you throw the ball and you have a qb finish with 25/7 in his first year as a starter.
KOK's last act before moving on from Iowa last time was to land a commitment from a quarterback from Tennessee. Another Iowa hotbed of recruiting.

KOK's last act before moving on from Iowa last time was to land a commitment from a quarterback from Tennessee. Another Iowa hotbed of recruiting.

yep. we shouldn't look past KOK's last 2 qb's were nfl (backup) level. now, to be fair, Stanley is a GD recruit. so he deserves credit there.

yep. we shouldn't look past KOK's last 2 qb's were nfl (backup) level. now, to be fair, Stanley is a GD recruit. so he deserves credit there.
Actually, Stanley was recruited primarily by Seth Wallace, with Kirk getting more involved towards the end.

Davis had very little recruiting responsibilities. The only player of note was Shimonek, who looked like a solid recruit, but we all know the story there.

Actually, Stanley was recruited primarily by Seth Wallace, with Kirk getting more involved towards the end.

Davis had very little recruiting responsibilities. The only player of note was Shimonek, who looked like a solid recruit, but we all know the story there.

well, shimonek looks to have made the best choice for himself. i mean, he was behind 2 NFL backup qb's. so, probably made the right choice. wasn't aware that GD was hands off with the recruiting of Stanley. that's pretty damn interesting. i mean, to not have your OC have input in scouting a qb is rather remarkable. its sort of backwards.

Spenser certainly seems to be the Goods.....

As impressive a highlight video as I have ever seen.....

Of course, I did watch the Jake Ruddick HS highlight videos and was vastly impressed. Then again he did have talented receivers.....

All that said. Spence Really looks Good.....

We better start recruiting the receivers that will compliment his abilities.....

:cool:

well, shimonek looks to have made the best choice for himself. i mean, he was behind 2 NFL backup qb's. so, probably made the right choice. wasn't aware that GD was hands off with the recruiting of Stanley. that's pretty damn interesting. i mean, to not have your OC have input in scouting a qb is rather remarkable. its sort of backwards.
I'm sure he had some input, it's just that he wasn't the primary recruiter, and, by all accounts, did very little in the way of recruiting. Part of that is on Kirk, though, since he is one of those rare head coaches that doesn't require his coordinators to actively recruit. To his credit, Parker seems to take it upon himself to get more involved.

And, yeah, I don't blame Shimonek at all, but you'd like to see players that are willing to at least compete for the job. He didn't even give it a shot really. I always worry about players that far from home, especially at QB since you can only play one at a time and they don't play STs. Hopefully, Spencer will stick it out but I'm already nervous about him.

Actually, in 2015, it was Kirk and GD that went to Wisconsin during the bye week to keep up the contact with Stanley. Seth Wallace stayed in IC/CR that weekend.

Not entirely true (see my previous post with regard to GD involvement with Stanley)