Spencer Petras

Just checked out what the beavers fans were saying and here's one post from http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/thread/7796:

Weird. Just weird. I wish no ill-will on the kid but he and/or his family must see something that frankly I do not..

Iowa City > Corvallis

Academically (OSU ranked #350 in the US by Forbes, similarly "meh" in most rankings)
Culturally (too much to list. Iowa City is a world class college town)
Proximity. (Corvallis is about 2 hours from Portland, 5 from Seattle...otherwise it's nowhere'sville. Certainly no better than IC)
U of Oregon (OSU is little brother in their own state)

Kinnick > Reser Stadium
43K capacity, average attendance under 35K per game this year. That's right LESS THAN 35,000! They didn't even crack 40,000 when #6 Washington came in for a night game. Compare that with what the kid sees on TV when tOSU, Michigan, or Penn St show up at Kinnick.

Oregon State is 7-29 over the last three seasons.

Any questions, Beaver fans? (and who isn't a beaver fan)

Last edited:
He may have just earned his first year's salary.

Rob, Marin is basically in Stanford and Cal's backyard. Especially Cal. What was the history on their recruitment of this kid? Any idea?

He committed to Oregon State in May, so things were pretty quiet after that until Minnesota and a few other schools caught on to his super senior season.

Cal and Stanford both liked Petras (Pee-tras) but ended up with other QBs. Ironically, they could end up losing those QBs as other schools are moving on them.

Let's think about this. KOK actually got 2 high caliber qb's to de-commit in order to give Iowa a serious, serious look. He got the 2 to schedule visits within a week or so of offering. It felt like to me that Wilson wanted to pull the trigger for Iowa but Petras beat him too it. Wilson now is likely for BYU. I could be wrong about that, but KOK did get both kids to schedule visits within a week of their offer.

A couple things. High amount of credit to KOK for having the credibility to win over both kids and their families and this is, I believe, what happens when you throw the ball and you have a qb finish with 25/7 in his first year as a starter.

Looks good on his highlight films. Can throw the long ball with apparent ease. Area to work on though is throwing the ball deep when he had wide open receivers fifteen to twenty yards down field. We all know how KF feels about taking the safe throw.

It's difficult to get excited about high school recruits because you have to take the competition into consideration. How many QB's has Iowa recruited over the years that looked great on their high school film but never panned out? Also how many times in his highlight reel did he have defensive players bearing down on him? That's something he better get used to.

Last edited:
Just checked out what the beavers fans were saying and here's one post from http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/thread/7796:

Weird. Just weird. I wish no ill-will on the kid but he and/or his family must see something that frankly I do not.

Iowa for christs sake? I couldn't name a single Iowa quarterback in my lifetime off the top of my head. I had to google it just to think of ONE. Trivia question: CJ Beathard was drafted by the SF 49ers in 2017. Who was the last Iowa QB to complete a pass in the NFL prior to Beathard? Answer: Mark Vlasic. Over 25 years ago. Now this might be dismissed a little easier if we were talking about a school that had a long history of coaches who ran offenses that required a different QB skill set than the NFL but that's not the case here. Kirk Ferentz has been the coach since 1999 and they have and continue to run an NFL style pro offense. So - he's been there almost 20 years, running a pro-style offense in a P5 conference and has failed to develop a single QB that has completed a pass in the NFL until Beathard is forced to play by default on a winless team?

Then there's the fact that Petras committed to CGA. I wasn't complaining but it surprised me for sure. CGA goes off the rails and a new staff is brought in that by all accounts, is infinitely more qualified to develop QBs. Petras response is to flip to a school with less than zero history of QB development?

It's very strange to me. As I compose this post it just gets more and more odd... Iowa's OC is Ferentz' son, and the QB coach is the guy who was OC / QB coach for 13 years before spending a couple years on the Dolphis staff. So basically, it's the same crew it has been forever. This is the list of QB names they tout as coached by this staff (I think it was written prior to Beathard being drafted, thus his omission):

Kyle McCann
Brad Banks
Nathan Chandler
Drew Tate
Ricky Stanzi
James Vandenberg

A real who's who of NFL talent. Compare that with this off the top of my head listing of who our 4 identified assistants have coached or crossed paths with:

Derek Anderson (Riley, Smith, Michalczik)
Matt Moore (Riley)
Sean Canfield (Riley)
Sean Mannion (Riley)
Jared Goff (Michalczik)

I'm not going to deny I was high on Petras, and it sucks to lose that sort of commitment. But at the same time, it's very curious. Unless playing in the league is not high on the kids list of priorities, I struggle to see how this is a good decision for him. Had he flipped to a P5 school/staff with some history of developing NFL QBs it would still suck, but be far less of a head scratcher.

Must be a young fella. You mean Brad Banks the Heisman trophy runner-up?

I think the poster was referring to NFL success.

while the Beavs most illustrious NFL'ers are: Erik Wilhelm, Derek Anderson, Sean Canfield (who?) and Sean Mannion. Obviously, Spencer Petras understands he doesn't have the letter "K" in his first name and his first name isn't Sean.

Iowa City > Corvallis

Academically (OSU ranked #350 in the US by Forbes, similarly "meh" in most rankings)
Proximity. (Corvallis is about 2 hours from Portland, 5 from Seattle...otherwise it's nowhere'sville. Certainly no better than IC)

Kinnick > Reser Stadium
43K capacity, average attendance under 35K per game this year. That's right LESS THAN 35,000! They didn't even crack 40,000 when #6 Washington came in for a night game. Compare that with what the kid sees on TV when tOSU, Michigan, or Penn St show up at Kinnick.

Count me as a beaver fan. I've loved every beaver I've ever come upon.

Weird. Just weird. I wish no ill-will on the kid but he and/or his family must see something that frankly I do not.

Iowa for christs sake? I couldn't name a single Iowa quarterback in my lifetime off the top of my head. I had to google it just to think of ONE. Trivia question: CJ Beathard was drafted by the SF 49ers in 2017. Who was the last Iowa QB to complete a pass in the NFL prior to Beathard? Answer: Mark Vlasic. Over 25 years ago. Now this might be dismissed a little easier if we were talking about a school that had a long history of coaches who ran offenses that required a different QB skill set than the NFL but that's not the case here. Kirk Ferentz has been the coach since 1999 and they have and continue to run an NFL style pro offense. So - he's been there almost 20 years, running a pro-style offense in a P5 conference and has failed to develop a single QB that has completed a pass in the NFL until Beathard is forced to play by default on a winless team?

Then there's the fact that Petras committed to CGA. I wasn't complaining but it surprised me for sure. CGA goes off the rails and a new staff is brought in that by all accounts, is infinitely more qualified to develop QBs. Petras response is to flip to a school with less than zero history of QB development?

It's very strange to me. As I compose this post it just gets more and more odd... Iowa's OC is Ferentz' son, and the QB coach is the guy who was OC / QB coach for 13 years before spending a couple years on the Dolphis staff. So basically, it's the same crew it has been forever. This is the list of QB names they tout as coached by this staff (I think it was written prior to Beathard being drafted, thus his omission):

Kyle McCann
Brad Banks
Nathan Chandler
Drew Tate
Ricky Stanzi
James Vandenberg

A real who's who of NFL talent. Compare that with this off the top of my head listing of who our 4 identified assistants have coached or crossed paths with:

Derek Anderson (Riley, Smith, Michalczik)
Matt Moore (Riley)
Sean Canfield (Riley)
Sean Mannion (Riley)
Jared Goff (Michalczik)

I'm not going to deny I was high on Petras, and it sucks to lose that sort of commitment. But at the same time, it's very curious. Unless playing in the league is not high on the kids list of priorities, I struggle to see how this is a good decision for him. Had he flipped to a P5 school/staff with some history of developing NFL QBs it would still suck, but be far less of a head scratcher.
I'm glad we got him, but hard to argue with this.

KOK deserves madd props. Now if KFz will just stay out of the Offensive team meetings and dump that damn audible into the sideline pile.....

I don't think he needs to dump that audible.... he needs to add others. We can't always audible to the same play.

Yeah, I know he was. He does make a good point and I don’t like it. Iowa QBs equal average at best.
On the other hand, while the Beavs have put some QBs in the NFL, they are trending downwards. While Iowa's last two starting QBs have made it into the NFL and Stanley could make it a 3rd.

Say what you will about running a pro style offense, but one perk about it is that it attracts kids who want to develop into pro QBs. With so many teams running spread option attacks, and so many more running Air Raid, Iowa has moved up on the list of destinations for more traditional pocket passers. You won't put up video game stats here, but you will get a chance to put together good tape that is relevant to the way they play the game on Sunday.

I'm glad we got him, but hard to argue with this.

OK, I'll play. OSU averaged less than 35,000 at home last year. You heard that right....less than 35,000. They're 7-29 over the past 3 years. Sounds like an exciting place to play your college ball if you're a 4* talent.

And while OSU has put more QBs in the NFL over time, as Brownlee pointed out Iowa is trending upward in that area. Kirk puts a sh**load more guys in the NFL overall. If Petras is the goods, he'll be there too.

Iowa City > Corvallis

Kinnick > Reser Stadium

Let's not forget their HC is a guy that left a job at Wisky to go there because why? I suspect he couldn't get along with Alvarez. Beyond that nobody goes backwards on purpose wtf. Gave up money and a lot of wins doing that. Oh and he's bringing back the coach he replaced that couldn't cut it in Nebraska that only went to Nebraska because he was about to get fired at OSU if he didn't take another gig. Needless to say their coaching isn't exactly stellar

OK, I'll play. OSU averaged less than 35,000 at home last year. You heard that right....less than 35,000. They're 7-29 over the past 3 years. Sounds like an exciting place to play your college ball if you're a 4* talent.

And while OSU has put more QBs in the NFL over time, as Brownlee pointed out Iowa is trending upward in that area. Kirk puts a sh**load more guys in the NFL overall. If Petras is the goods, he'll be there too.
It's not that Petras didn't choose the better program - he did. The point that the poster was making that has some merit is, if you're a talented QB that decides to flip, then why flip to a program that doesn't have much of a track record putting QBs in the NFL?

Even though it stings if you're an Iowa fan, we have to admit that Kirk has struggled to recruit and develop a couple of positions over the years, namely QB and WR (especially WR). I do agree that the QB development may be changing. I think Stanley could easily end up a starter at the next level, and both Mansell and Petras look solid. The next challenge is keeping them on campus for the duration.

It's not that Petras didn't choose the better program - he did. The point that the poster was making that has some merit is, if you're a talented QB that decides to flip, then why flip to a program that doesn't have much of a track record putting QBs in the NFL?

Even though it stings if you're an Iowa fan, we have to admit that Kirk has struggled to recruit and develop a couple of positions over the years, namely QB and WR (especially WR). I do agree that the QB development may be changing. I think Stanley could easily end up a starter at the next level, and both Mansell and Petras look solid. The next challenge is keeping them on campus for the duration.

because the kid is 17 or 18 and probably doesn't have a memory of either programs history and only knows the now. that's why i've been beating the drum (into a dead horse) for years that we need to open up the offense to get better skill players to come. We have 2 former Hawk qb in the NFL, right now, and a current qb that threw for 25/7 in his first year as a starter as a true SO. Our recent history completely dominates OSU's at the qb position. The real question is why didn't this kid want to stay in Cali? but that's a personal decision that i'm awfully glad he didn't want to.

Latest posts