Spencer Petras

Those stats and hudl highlights are kinda spiffy, huh?

Read that he went to the same school as Jared Goff, and broke his records with 4100+ yards 50tds and 2ints this year.

His tape shows good feet and a huge arm. Combined with his size, he looks like a he could be a pro if he keeps improving on his obvious natural abilities.

Traditionally, you'd think he would redshirt this year, but if Weigers and/or Boyle leaves, I would not be surprised to see him get the Nate Stanley treatment.

Wiegers will be a Senior. This really doesn't affect him. Boyle, on the other hand, looks to be squeezed.

EDIT: I just read that Wiegers graduates this month. That means he could play elsewhere immediately. That changes things a bit. Boyle is also on schedule to graduate in the Spring. Man, how many hours did that kid take?! He's only listed as a Sophomore.
My guess is that Weigers is gone as a grad transfer, and I wouldn't be surprised if Boyle is gone as well. If Boyle is not gone, I would expect him to change positions.

Wiegers will be a Senior. This really doesn't affect him. Boyle, on the other hand, looks to be squeezed.

EDIT: I just read that Wiegers graduates this month. That means he could play elsewhere immediately. That changes things a bit. Boyle is also on schedule to graduate in the Spring. Man, how many hours did that kid take?! He's only listed as a Sophomore.
Yeah Boyle is a RS soph 3rd yr in. So it kinda comes down to how bad do they want to play. I could literally see this playing out a few ways. Is Wiegers good enough to walk in somewhere else and play right away like Rudock did? He's hardly played so that's tough to tell unless he dropped to FCS or something. Boyle same thing just more eligibility left. I could see if say Wiegers leaves that Boyle could stay through spring ball and see where he stands after that. If he's #2 maybe he'd be ok with that. If Mansell were to leap frog him then good night Irene he'd probably leave then.

My guess is that Weigers is gone as a grad transfer, and I wouldn't be surprised if Boyle is gone as well. If Boyle is not gone, I would expect him to change positions.
He's already done did that. Don't see him going down that road again. He didn't seem to like it.

Cody Sokol went to Louisiana Tech and led it to a bowl game as a graduate transfer. Wiegers is good enough to start at another program. It doesn't have to be a Power 5.

Boyle will graduate in three years. Quarells did it before transferring here.

If I were betting, I would be that Wiegers and Boyle each will move on.

Opinions on how big of a "get" he is for Iowa, historically? Looks like a great fit!

He fits the system very well and his high school statistics are ridiculous. Baldwin was probably the top kid on the board when Iowa went to work on getting a QB late in the process with Petras No. 2. Time will tell who ends up being the best between those two and Wilson.

He fits the system very well and his high school statistics are ridiculous. Baldwin was probably the top kid on the board when Iowa went to work on getting a QB late in the process with Petras No. 2. Time will tell who ends up being the best between those two and Wilson.

Great that he will be here in January and going to work.

Thanks...the way he views all the field, quickly, is very impressive.

50 TD with 2 picks! That's even better than Brett Favre in his prime!!!!

OMG this makes my day. Loved me some good ole Tecmo Bowl. Good luck tackling Bo Jackson or Barry Sanders on that game...
Bro there was no Detroit in Tecmo Bowl and the game came out before Barry was in the league. If you're referring to Tecmo Super Bowl he was garbage in that game!

[/End derailment]

Opinions on how big of a "get" he is for Iowa, historically? Looks like a great fit!
Just listened to the "Joe Beaver Show" out of Corvallis. Guy said Beavers were missing out on their best QB prospect in more than a decade. Actually kind of went nuts and created a conspiracy theory about Ferentz bagging on Mike Riley to convince Petras to come here. I thought it was pretty funny to think about Kirk Ferentz having a single bad word to say about Mike Riley or vis versa.

Just listened to the "Joe Beaver Show" out of Corvallis. Guy said Beavers were missing out on their best QB prospect in more than a decade. Actually kind of went nuts and created a conspiracy theory about Ferentz bagging on Mike Riley to convince Petras to come here. I thought it was pretty funny to think about Kirk Ferentz having a single bad word to say about Mike Riley or vis versa.

Work buddy of mine is an OSU grad that lives near Portland. He just texted me...quite pissed. :)

Just checked out what the beavers fans were saying and here's one post from http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/thread/7796:

Weird. Just weird. I wish no ill-will on the kid but he and/or his family must see something that frankly I do not.

Iowa for christs sake? I couldn't name a single Iowa quarterback in my lifetime off the top of my head. I had to google it just to think of ONE. Trivia question: CJ Beathard was drafted by the SF 49ers in 2017. Who was the last Iowa QB to complete a pass in the NFL prior to Beathard? Answer: Mark Vlasic. Over 25 years ago. Now this might be dismissed a little easier if we were talking about a school that had a long history of coaches who ran offenses that required a different QB skill set than the NFL but that's not the case here. Kirk Ferentz has been the coach since 1999 and they have and continue to run an NFL style pro offense. So - he's been there almost 20 years, running a pro-style offense in a P5 conference and has failed to develop a single QB that has completed a pass in the NFL until Beathard is forced to play by default on a winless team?

Then there's the fact that Petras committed to CGA. I wasn't complaining but it surprised me for sure. CGA goes off the rails and a new staff is brought in that by all accounts, is infinitely more qualified to develop QBs. Petras response is to flip to a school with less than zero history of QB development?

It's very strange to me. As I compose this post it just gets more and more odd... Iowa's OC is Ferentz' son, and the QB coach is the guy who was OC / QB coach for 13 years before spending a couple years on the Dolphis staff. So basically, it's the same crew it has been forever. This is the list of QB names they tout as coached by this staff (I think it was written prior to Beathard being drafted, thus his omission):

Kyle McCann
Brad Banks
Nathan Chandler
Drew Tate
Ricky Stanzi
James Vandenberg

A real who's who of NFL talent. Compare that with this off the top of my head listing of who our 4 identified assistants have coached or crossed paths with:

Derek Anderson (Riley, Smith, Michalczik)
Matt Moore (Riley)
Sean Canfield (Riley)
Sean Mannion (Riley)
Jared Goff (Michalczik)

I'm not going to deny I was high on Petras, and it sucks to lose that sort of commitment. But at the same time, it's very curious. Unless playing in the league is not high on the kids list of priorities, I struggle to see how this is a good decision for him. Had he flipped to a P5 school/staff with some history of developing NFL QBs it would still suck, but be far less of a head scratcher.

Who was the recruiter on this?

I don't follow recruiting very closely, but I feels like it's trending up.

Not sure who the recruiter was but Rob's article quotes him as saying it was great to meet KF and the coaches, but he had met KOK before. So it seems to suggest he was recruiting him.

Work buddy of mine is an OSU grad that lives near Portland. He just texted me...quite pissed. :)

It seems that part of the decision, at least, was Iowa City > Corvallis. But I can't say that I blame any Beaver fan for being disappointed, pissed, or whatever. Sucks to lose a top prospect, especially at a position like QB and less than a week before signing day.

Latest posts