Spencer Is Officially Toast

I figured Illinois would be in Petras grill all night and they were. It's no secret that our QB has cement shoes on every team we face should bring the house. I will say as bad as that offense was I would like a ruling on the fumble Moss went to the house with. That dude didn't have control of the ball as he went down. His elbow was clearly down but he didn't have control of the ball. That being said, Spencer is bad and his line isn't helping him. BF is a joke. Barta is a clown. Ohio St. by 28.

Most of the time Spence had three seconds before they were on him

There were also 2 second time spans

My son was counting them out

Stanley was particularly mobile but he had O line support

I feel for the kid. He's incredibly limited but he's saying what he's been told to say.

He is done. And gonna be abused in 2 weeks.

Oline is below avg, but few olines can block constant 8+ man boxes and constant run/pass blitzes. We don't test defenses deep, even just to give it a shot, ever. Never back shoulder, never quick deep sideline. You can just crash every time.

Shit, they even had the snap count timed.

I am done with reviews. The review guys look and look and look, then overturn too many calls. “Elbow was down.” Bull shit. The ball carrier was on top of the defender the whole time when the ball came loose. Leave it at that and stop with the passionate search to overturn. Even with officials’ errors, we need to get rid of reviews.
All the angles they showed on the video board made it look like a fumble, I finally took a look at it today and yes his elbow was down. Tough call but it was the right call.

This is actually the most criminal part of the whole deal. They parade their QB out on stage to get beaten like a rented mule, but the guy who’s supposed to coach and develop him and calls the lame-brained plays he runs hides on the team bus.
It'd be great if Kirk trots out Brian on Tuesday to field questions. If either one of them believes he's still up to be HC here or anywhere else he's got to answer for things.

Very pleased, but not surprised, that you are standing up for him.
I don’t hate Petras at all. I do hate Brian.

He’s they guy who’s not coaching Spencer the way he needs to be coached, and he’s calling plays that would baffle a 7 year old who’s never seen football before.

That said, Petras doesn’t have the reflexes and instincts of a P5 quarterback. That should’ve been addressed a long time ago so he could go somewhere else where he could flourish and try a different route at Iowa.

All the angles they showed on the video board made it look like a fumble, I finally took a look at it today and yes his elbow was down. Tough call but it was the right call.
I agree, as well. I Am still sick and tired of reviews like this one. An electronic review, in slow motion, from a tech perspective, with a controversial result, has no place in a football game. And, I don’t believe that this review was any more accurate than the call on the field, not in slow mo.

This is actually the most criminal part of the whole deal. They parade their QB out on stage to get beaten like a rented mule, but the guy who’s supposed to coach and develop him and calls the lame-brained plays he runs hides on the team bus.

This is why I'm pissed. Petras walks out for the sword they've prepared for him to fall on.

Kirk says what a head coach like him is gonna say.

They all know...Kirk, Barta, media relations and the sports information director, PR...
They all know the offense is bad. They all know Brain is the root of it. They don't even bother to send Brain out to fall on the sword to take some heat off guys who are likely demoralized and promise to "fight like hell and find ways to improve"

Cause that's the kind of thing that happens right before coaches get fired. See Scott Frost.
Problem is....Frost was gonna get fired anyway, not because he took the heat off his players. He got fired because he sucked.

That's the other problem. Brain sucks. And he ain't gonna get fired.

The only person taking any of the blame is just one guy. A player. Who is only part of a very large problem. They're letting that kid out to dry. It's damn near criminal. I'm still a Kirk supporter. But this is really bad. And really starting to piss me off.

This is like if McDonalds held a press conference and made a 17 year old daytime shift manager at McDonalds on University in Des Moines take all the blame for their McFlurry machines being broken everywhere. While the CEO just flaps some gibberish about "making improvement"

Well maybe not a shift manager.
But just some low level exec who handles purchase orders for "engineering".

This is why I'm pissed. Petras walks out for the sword they've prepared for him to fall on.

Kirk says what a head coach like him is gonna say.

They all know...Kirk, Barta, media relations and the sports information director, PR...
They all know the offense is bad. They all know Brain is the root of it. They don't even bother to send Brain out to fall on the sword to take some heat off guys who are likely demoralized and promise to "fight like hell and find ways to improve"

Cause that's the kind of thing that happens right before coaches get fired. See Scott Frost.
Problem is....Frost was gonna get fired anyway, not because he took the heat off his players. He got fired because he sucked.

That's the other problem. Brain sucks. And he ain't gonna get fired.

The only person taking any of the blame is just one guy. A player. Who is only part of a very large problem. They're letting that kid out to dry. It's damn near criminal. I'm still a Kirk supporter. But this is really bad. And really starting to piss me off.

This is like if McDonalds held a press conference and made a 17 year old daytime shift manager at McDonalds on University in Des Moines take all the blame for their McFlurry machines being broken everywhere. While the CEO just flaps some gibberish about "making improvement"
Kirk often blames ‘execution’ as the problem.
Translation: it’s the players fault

Yeah, as difficult as it was to admit, the replays last night showed that he had possession
of the ball all the way to the ground

Perhaps considering just how important that play was: time frame and score, the officials had
to look closely

Let's not forget, the illini only scored 3 points in the second half

Only 6 points in the first half

The Hawks played a Hell of a game without an offense

:cool:

I agree, as well. I Am still sick and tired of reviews like this one. An electronic review, in slow motion, from a tech perspective, with a controversial result, has no place in a football game. And, I don’t believe that this review was any more accurate than the call on the field, not in slow mo.

That was definitely a situation where the refs thought he was down, but they let it play out because they knew if he WAS down, they could fix it via replay. But if they blew the whistle and it was a fumble, that would be irreparable.

Watching it live, my wife and I both said, "That's coming back." It seemed pretty obvious that the ball came out late.

He’s they guy who’s not coaching Spencer the way he needs to be coached, and he’s calling plays that would baffle a 7 year old who’s never seen football before.

That said, Petras doesn’t have the reflexes and instincts of a P5 quarterback. That should’ve been addressed a long time ago so he could go somewhere else where he could flourish and try a different route at Iowa.
Why would any QB recruit go to a school whose QB coach was an offensive lineman?????
I played QB back in the day and no way I'd feel I had any credibility as an OLine coach; completely idiotic.
One thing teaching X's and O's; completely another to have been under the gun playing the position.
I'm sure Brian has some great tips on throwing techniques.
F*CK!!!!!!!!

I am done with reviews. The review guys look and look and look, then overturn too many calls. “Elbow was down.” Bull shit. The ball carrier was on top of the defender the whole time when the ball came loose. Leave it at that and stop with the passionate search to overturn. Even with officials’ errors, we need to get rid of reviews.

The problem with the still picture they showed during the game it that it showed his elbow on the ground and what looked like possession of the ball, BUT the slow motion showed the ball moving while it was in his possession as his elbow was about to touch the ground. By rule there has to be indisputable evidence to over throw the call on the field. It was one of those bang bang calls that I’d they had called it a fumble you could argue the ball was slightly shifting in his arms just before his lost the ball.

I can see it being called either way, but the rule is indisputable evidence to overturn.

Last edited:

Fry I couldn’t agree with you more.

When it was announced that Brian was going to be the QB coach, I was just beside myself. Just speechless. He should have been let go but instead is given given MORE responsibility by being put in charge of a position that is the most important position on the offense of which Brian has ZERO experience.

Still scratching my head on this one. My pure speculation was that it would either be temporary and they are waiting for another coach next year or that Brian was blaming the former QB coach for offensive failures and this was Kirk’s way of Kirk saying “ok Brian this is your baby now……… no more excuses.”

Again, Pure speculation on my part but how else do you explain the stupidity of the whole thing?

Yeah, as difficult as it was to admit, the replays last night showed that he had possession
of the ball all the way to the ground

Perhaps considering just how important that play was: time frame and score, the officials had
to look closely

Let's not forget, the illini only scored 3 points in the second half

Only 6 points in the first half

The Hawks played a Hell of a game without an offense

:cool:

Let us also not forget that Illinois lost their starting QB early and Shitkowski came in and we ultimately lost a game to Shitkowski, who completely sucks. I think if the starter stayed in we probably lose that game 16-6 or 23-6.

It doesn't matter when your offense is this bad. Petras hasn't done anything to win a single game this year, but he has done enough to lose three. A league average quarterback has this team 5-1 or 6-0.
I'm confused. Your post started by saying it doesn't matter who the qb is. Then ends with saying it's the difference between 3-3 and 5-1 or 6-0.

Latest posts