Spencer Is Officially Toast

People who say it doesn't matter who is at qb are crazy. It's the most important position on their field. Of course it matters. How many times have we watched a sack when a simple step forward one step would have avoided the rush?

You can't have a qb who is that inaccurate, who has no pocket presence and no accuracy. If we had a qb who was decent at any one of those three things we would have one loss and be heavy favorites to win the West. We don't need a stud qb. We need one who isn't terrible at all three phases of the position.
Hawks have one receiver and he's not a reciever.. the O line is bad. The game was won and lost on 3 fabulous IL receptions.

Petras just does not have it.....and unfortunately he has a terrible o-line and a terrible offensive coordinator. He has one guy that he can throw to and average backs again with a terrible line to block for them.

The fans hate on him and he is taking a beating on and off the field.

Ohio St will likely be very ugly for him and I have to wonder if he is going to start being at risk of being seriously injured physically (and mentally) if his teammates can't protect him and like Fry states in this thread he is toast.

Someone has to be the adult in the room and save Petras from himself.

Yah. I just don't know what you do here.
I said it before. There's not one thing wrong with the offense. Literally everything is wrong with it.
The line, the play calling, the personnel, the qb...

Clearly the o-line is bad. There is no consistent running game or passing game. Which leaves zero room for error. Petras makes that pass at the 5 and it's a different ball game. Brain (hah!) doesn't call that drive staller of a reverse. Any catchable pass that falls to the ground (even if it's a tough one). Or a running back that that misses a rare hole.

What solves this? A new quarterback? Noop. New receivers? The line can't give our qb enough time for a receiver to get 20 yards downfield. Some changes to play calling, obviously, but we're still gonna need someone who can hit that pass at the 5.

In some ways, this was Petras' best game. We had 2 or 3 legit (or what passes for legit for us these days) drives...followed by stumbles. Some his, some not. He threw one pick that wasn't 100% on him. He showed grit on the busted run play and that beautiful 7 yard sneak.

The running game, dismal as it was, outperformed Wisconsin's effort against Illinois.

But we went backwards on so many series because of mistakes of the line, passing game errors, running game horribleness, mental mistakes/penalties, predictable snap counts....that gave Illinois field position all night.

A few weeks ago I was all-in on putting in the red hats. Let them get their experience and set them up for next year (a la Matt Rodgers in '89).

But do we ruin them too? Like Petras appears to be? All the other problems are there.

The entire offense from top to bottom is bad.

That's ultimately on one person.
And on his boss.
And his boss' boss, who has complete confidence in them.

Change has to start there. Those 3 need to work it out. As much as I love Kirk (assuming nothing further comes out in this litigation) and want him to retire on good terms....he has put his entire legacy at risk with his nepotism.

Brain is the core of the problem. And now it's Kirk's problem if he doesn't do...something. Anything.

And if he doesn't it's Barta's problem. And if he doesn't do anything....it's our problem.

And we will. We will stop going. Sure, it may take awhile for the big donors to start drying up, but they will. And let's not forget, Barta has a boss.

Like clockwork, after a big win, my landline will ring on Sunday. About the only people that have that number are spammers and the Alumni Association. I'm in their database as a football fan. And they know if #3 Iowa beats #4 Penn State, they can call me on Sunday and sweet talk me out of $100 for the J-School. The metrics will start to become clear.

I hope it doesn't have to come to this. Something has to give. Or at least...the appearance of it.

Ohio St is going to be ugly (like 58-6 type ugly) no matter who is QB, so I think they give Petras 1 more game. But I see Padilla playing the 2nd half (he'll struggle too).

The truth is the O-line is horrible, so you need a QB who can make throws on the run and make plays with his feet. Petras is not the QB, and I don't think Padilla is either, so move on to Labas. Even though he is a freshman, the offense cannot get worse, and you might as well start preparing for next year.

From what I've read Labas is more of a dual threat QB right? And both QB recruits (the kid from NJ and the kid from Jax) are both dual threat QB's. So is there a little glimmer of hope that the offense will finally transition into the 21st century next year?

We have the worst offensive talent in college football being led by the worst OC in college football. This is not debatable.

Do we even know this? About the talent, I mean. I don't think I'd trade LaPorta for anyone. I don't think we know at all what our running backs are like. Beyond that, I don't believe in talent. Talent is learned and taught. And we've always relied on developing that talent. See walkon, Dallas Clark and every other o-line.

I'm starting to outright feel bad for Petras. He's not good. But we've had "not good" before. He's said all the right things. He's shouldered more heat and blame than he deserves. Unless there's locker room stuff we don't know about....

I'm thinking we should hoist the dude on our shoulders. Whether he plays another snap or not. Make him known he's a Hawkeye for life. And we don't hold it against him.

I'm thinking of heading over to Hawkeye Heaven and suggest we do something at every game to let him know we support him and blame the coaching staff and program. Maybe we all stand up at the first TV time out and turn our backs on Brian Ferentz while holding up 7 fingers and doing the whistle thing from Hunger Games to let Spencer know we have his back as a Hawkeye and that we know he isn't the sole reason for this dismalness.

Do we even know this? About the talent, I mean. I don't think I'd trade LaPorta for anyone. I don't think we know at all what our running backs are like. Beyond that, I don't believe in talent. Talent is learned and taught. And we've always relied on developing that talent. See walkon, Dallas Clark and every other o-line.

I'm starting to outright feel bad for Petras. He's not good. But we've had "not good" before. He's said all the right things. He's shouldered more heat and blame than he deserves. Unless there's locker room stuff we don't know about....

I'm thinking we should hoist the dude on our shoulders. Whether he plays another snap or not. Make him known he's a Hawkeye for life. And we don't hold it against him.

I'm thinking of heading over to Hawkeye Heaven and suggest we do something at every game to let him know we support him and blame the coaching staff and program. Maybe we all stand up at the first TV time out and turn our backs on Brian Ferentz while holding up 7 fingers and doing the whistle thing from Hunger Games to let Spencer know we have his back as a Hawkeye and that we know he isn't the sole reason for this dismalness.
Agree. Petras has not played well, but he is not the only one to blame. But he is the only one man enough to take the heat that comes with being the QB. Petras meets with the media and answers their questions. You know he sees the negativity on social media, but he still acts with class and professionalism. Kirk buries his head in the sand and gives snide remarks to the media like "we won 10 games last year, in case you didn't know". Brian is nowhere to be seen, and hides behind Kirk, while his QB has to take the bullets from media and fans.

Agree. Petras has not played well, but he is not the only one to blame. But he is the only one man enough to take the heat that comes with being the QB. Petras meets with the media and answers their questions. You know he sees the negativity on social media, but he still acts with class and professionalism. Kirk buries his head in the sand and gives snide remarks to the media like "we won 10 games last year, in case you didn't know". Brian is nowhere to be seen, and hides behind Kirk, while his QB has to take the bullets from media and fans.

The booing felt icky.
In defense of the booers, the body of work by the whole offense was so limited, it makes him an easy target.

At this point, Petras is starting to look like a damn hero and a brilliant human. At least in terms of being a teammate. Again, barring any locker room stuff we aren't privy to.

I'm more than serious about starting something to support him. For sure we shouldn't tolerate any further booing. On social media, we have to make sure blame is pinned squarely on the program.

We can all decide what level off invective to level at coaches and administrators and what demands we should scream into the void....

But this ain't at all Petras.

F. I will be in town for the OSU weekend.
I'll hold a damn rally.
"Stand Up For Spencer: Because He's a Stand Up Guy"

Someone come up with a chant about how it's not his fault.

People who say it doesn't matter who is at qb are crazy. It's the most important position on their field. Of course it matters. How many times have we watched a sack when a simple step forward one step would have avoided the rush?

You can't have a qb who is that inaccurate, who has no pocket presence and no accuracy. If we had a qb who was decent at any one of those three things we would have one loss and be heavy favorites to win the West. We don't need a stud qb. We need one who isn't terrible at all three phases of the position.

Yep. And people cracked jokes when Iowa had a conversation or two with Adrian Martinez in the Spring. Even if the "bad" Adrian Martinez showed up in Iowa City, they would be 5-1 right now.

He ended up in a better spot following his girlfriend to KSU, but I never poo poo'd the idea him coming to Iowa City.

lYM8u93.jpg

So ready for these two to move on.....and also for Petras's mental health. Someone please be the adult in the room there at the U of I. We are a national punchline.

We had no timeouts and under a minute left and Petras ran and slid for a 2 yard game. That's how much mental focus he has. If we had an average qb we are 5-1 and huge favorites to win the West. If we had Beathard, Banks, or Tate we would be a legit top 10 team.

I totally agree that the rest of the offense sucks. But you can't have a statue behind a terrible oline. Tom Brady would turn a third of our sacks into 8 yard gains. Teams are just wrecklessly crashing in on him leaving running lanes everywhere. They don't even care the slightest bit on making sure they contain him.

Look into his eyes during the presser. He’s done.

Doneski.

The dude is on the verge of tears the whole time. He’s done. Win, lose, or draw, he’s a goner. You have to have more intestinal fortitude than that.

The time is now. Let him ride it out on the bench. When you’re that rattled you’re not going to help the team. Good guy. Loved by his teammates, but not an NCAA quarterback.

p.s. Don’t comment if you haven’t watched the presser.
It just sucks that he has to go up there and be subjected to that and BF doesn't... The wrong dude is up there if you ask me. It's not Petra's fault that he keeps getting put out there to play. I feel for the dude. Great guy. Most stand up dude you could ever ask for. Just not any good at being a D1 qb.

If we had an average qb we are 5-1 and huge favorites to win the West. If we had Beathard, Banks, or Tate we would be a legit top 10 team.

Maybe 5-1. But not a top 10 team. See last year
We still have no receivers and a wretched running game. And Brian Ferentz would still be our OC.

The guy is just bad at making decisions. Did you see his hair?

Anyway, I'm not sure how he can claim they haven't regressed.
He can't say anything different really. He's gotta project positivity and confidence. I don't blame him for answering anything the way he did. Shouldn't even be him up there answering those questions anyway. Should be BF. Now if he were to be questioned and gave those types of answers I'm with ya 100%.

Look into his eyes during the presser. He’s done.

Doneski.

The dude is on the verge of tears the whole time. He’s done. Win, lose, or draw, he’s a goner. You have to have more intestinal fortitude than that.

The time is now. Let him ride it out on the bench. When you’re that rattled you’re not going to help the team. Good guy. Loved by his teammates, but not an NCAA quarterback.

p.s. Don’t comment if you haven’t watched the presser.

I get it. This could be harmful for this young man. He has a year of eligibility and nobody thinks he'd want to come back. The offensive malpractice by the staff has a lot to do with it. He's probably and average QB if he wasn't being sacked and pressured, if he had average WRs.

Here's an Idea, send Brian out to meet the media.

He made some throws that some were dropped that very few Iowa qbs could not have made. We all saw the bad stuff so enough said. He showed a lot guts. I do wonder if Iowa ever discusses hurry up offense.

I do want Petras starting against Ohio State, that’s a very tough place to bring in a new QB.
If you can't even look like you belong on the field as a B1G quarterback in Columbus, you shouldn't be on the field. We all know Petras won't, and if Padilla doesn't either, keep on moving down the depth chart until someone does.

It doesn't matter when your offense is this bad. Petras hasn't done anything to win a single game this year, but he has done enough to lose three. A league average quarterback has this team 5-1 or 6-0.