Spencer Is Officially Toast

Petras just does not have it.....and unfortunately he has a terrible o-line and a terrible offensive coordinator. He has one guy that he can throw to and average backs again with a terrible line to block for them.

The fans hate on him and he is taking a beating on and off the field.

Ohio St will likely be very ugly for him and I have to wonder if he is going to start being at risk of being seriously injured physically (and mentally) if his teammates can't protect him and like Fry states in this thread he is toast.

Someone has to be the adult in the room and save Petras from himself.
We have two good backs at least, but giving Gavin as many snaps as they have been is unconscionable. Dude should be a solidly #3 back, rotational player/crap time beater at best.

I came up with two word that described the interview with Spencer; resigned and exasperated. The emotions he was going through as he answered the questions were visible through his body language. His language was guarded and almost apologetic as he talked about his performance and that of the offense.

If the AD was a standup guy he would appoint an independent investigator and have the investigator call each member of the offense into his office and talk to them about what the problems are with the offense. I would include the assistant offensive coaches as well. This performance at Illinois warrants a serious look inside Fort Kinnick.

I know many won't agree with this, but I see Petras as going on to very big things in life. He may not be a good college QB, but his willingness to stand up to this adversity is incredible.

Life doesn't make you go thru 3 progressions in 2 seconds, but you will get sacked often in life. You'll be on teams where no one is getting it done and will need someone who won't give up on them. Off my soapbox, other to say while I'm not fond of the Petras the QB, I'm proud if Petras the man..

Brian, on other hand, needs to grow up!!

Seasons over for all intents and purposes. Doesn’t matter. Get the next guy in to get as many reps as possible.

Or scheme to work them both (Padilla and Labas). They both deserve a shot to show what they can do.

Nothing but respect for Petras, he has done everything asked. And there are so many things wrong with this offense, it can't all be pinned on him. But he obviously is not the answer at this time.

Iowa coaches need to do something to give the defense some hope. As long as Petras us starting, there is no hope that the offense will get better. At least if Labas is starting you are building something for the future. And how could it be any worse? Yes,Labas might throw more pics, but Iowa might score more TD's. Something has got to give. Nothing is working right now.

Went back and watched the interview. He got his bell wrung, that's what happened. Glassy eyes, emotional, struggling with words at time.

Don't be surprised if it's announced or then again he has a week off.

You can not under any circumstances judge a concussion in a couple of minutes after it happened. What happened should be a part of the protocol. It can take days for the symptoms to fully develop.

I figured Illinois would be in Petras grill all night and they were. It's no secret that our QB has cement shoes on every team we face should bring the house. I will say as bad as that offense was I would like a ruling on the fumble Moss went to the house with. That dude didn't have control of the ball as he went down. His elbow was clearly down but he didn't have control of the ball. That being said, Spencer is bad and his line isn't helping him. BF is a joke. Barta is a clown. Ohio St. by 28.

We have two good backs at least, but giving Gavin as many snaps as they have been is unconscionable. Dude should be a solidly #3 back, rotational player/crap time beater at best.
He was deservedly the #1 backup last season and looked good in the bowl game. But he is not the same player this season after coming back from injury and I totally agree with this post -- he has no quickness, no burst, no speed, and is 'off' in his reads and everything else right now. Can't imagine why he got so many reps vs Illinois.

100%.

But at this point if I’m his parents I have a serious sit down with him. If it’s me I’m saying, “Hey you tried your ass off and also didn’t get the help you needed on the field (OL). We don’t want to see your mental health keep degrading…maybe it’s time to move on. Maybe there’s a D-2 school in Cali you can take your grad classes at and play ball.”
Very pleased, but not surprised, that you are standing up for him.

Ohio St is going to be ugly (like 58-6 type ugly) no matter who is QB, so I think they give Petras 1 more game. But I see Padilla playing the 2nd half (he'll struggle too).

The truth is the O-line is horrible, so you need a QB who can make throws on the run and make plays with his feet. Petras is not the QB, and I don't think Padilla is either, so move on to Labas. Even though he is a freshman, the offense cannot get worse, and you might as well start preparing for next year.

From what I've read Labas is more of a dual threat QB right? And both QB recruits (the kid from NJ and the kid from Jax) are both dual threat QB's. So is there a little glimmer of hope that the offense will finally transition into the 21st century next year?
Sorry, JR, but I said before that we need to clear out our QB room end of year. Go to the transfer and get what you can from a MAC school if necessary. There are some good one’s there. Or, roll the dice on our incoming QB recruits and let them fight through the growing pains. I believe KF is right that Spencer is the best we have. So, get rid of the backups and move on.

No. You need to judge him as a solid back up surviving a horrible O line and an offense that has no continuity and little effective coaching,

I know many won't agree with this, but I see Petras as going on to very big things in life. He may not be a good college QB, but his willingness to stand up to this adversity is incredible.

Life doesn't make you go thru 3 progressions in 2 seconds, but you will get sacked often in life. You'll be on teams where no one is getting it done and will need someone who won't give up on them. Off my soapbox, other to say while I'm not fond of the Petras the QB, I'm proud if Petras the man..

Brian, on other hand, needs to grow up!!
Yup.

I figured Illinois would be in Petras grill all night and they were. It's no secret that our QB has cement shoes on every team we face should bring the house. I will say as bad as that offense was I would like a ruling on the fumble Moss went to the house with. That dude didn't have control of the ball as he went down. His elbow was clearly down but he didn't have control of the ball. That being said, Spencer is bad and his line isn't helping him. BF is a joke. Barta is a clown. Ohio St. by 28.

I am done with reviews. The review guys look and look and look, then overturn too many calls. “Elbow was down.” Bull shit. The ball carrier was on top of the defender the whole time when the ball came loose. Leave it at that and stop with the passionate search to overturn. Even with officials’ errors, we need to get rid of reviews.

Went back and watched the interview. He got his bell wrung, that's what happened. Glassy eyes, emotional, struggling with words at time.

Don't be surprised if it's announced or then again he has a week off.

You can not under any circumstances judge a concussion in a couple of minutes after it happened. What happened should be a part of the protocol. It can take days for the symptoms to fully develop.

I had the same impression

Spence was hit HARD

Would be impossible to not be stunned and dazed