Something I heard re: QB's and Ruddock

and by doing this guys are wide open all over the field yet he can't find them. How in the world watching film can the coaches and JVB himself not see how many times guys are wide open or are in one on one match ups with no safety help at all yet he throws into double or triple coverage. How does a guy that has played QB for as long as he has not be able to at least look off his primary target every once in a awhile? It just really makes no sense at all.

If some bum in the stands can see this why can't JVB or the coaches?

First of all, it IS easier for us bums on the couch and in the stands to see the open receivers. We have a bird's eye view of everything.

Secondly, I'm sure Vandy has seen these misses plenty of times in film study. I just don't think he's able to handle the pressure when teams blitz him. He's never demonstrated the ability to do so in his first 3 years, I don't know why people are surprised he still isn't now.

I've said it before: I think Vandy could be a good coach if he so chooses. He has a firm grasp of the X's and O's, but he can't effectively operate in this system at game speed.

It still makes no sense that they don't allow Jake to go under center for a series or 2.

Iowa wants to run the ball every time anyway... let him hand it off 3 times in a row just to have the experience. Next series 2 times in a row and then play action or a screen pass.

Could that be anything worse? If so put JVB back in.

You sound like a self-hating no nothing. Iowa was only 4 plays away from knocking off Penn St, JVB had already started the comeback, we just ran out of time.

First of all, it IS easier for us bums on the couch and in the stands to see the open receivers. We have a bird's eye view of everything.

Secondly, I'm sure Vandy has seen these misses plenty of times in film study. I just don't think he's able to handle the pressure when teams blitz him. He's never demonstrated the ability to do so in his first 3 years, I don't know why people are surprised he still isn't now.

I was talking about film study not in the game with my comment about bum in the stands.

But even on the field, when he is under center pre snap he should be able to see that they are in a one safety look where that guy is shading, where the pressure looks like it is coming from, and who should be open based on the play they have called.

As for your second point, I agree.

I was talking about film study not in the game with my comment about bum in the stands.

But even on the field, when he is under center pre snap he should be able to see that they are in a one safety look where that guy is shading, where the pressure looks like it is coming from, and who should be open based on the play they have called.

As for your second point, I agree.

I'm not sure he doesn't see some of those things in his pre-snap reads. It may just be a deal where he sees it, but then as soon as he's blitzed, everything else just goes right out the window.

Both of those options actually make me sick to even think about! If I take down a squatch with an arrow, it has to born in the 70's to early (maybe mid) 80's...After re-reading this, now I'm VERY creeped out by this joke. I'm done.

Yeah, somebody didn't get the joke.

This whole "gap between QBs is huge" is pure garbage and is a self-perpetuating, echo-effect myth. We were told Banks wasn't ready in 2001 and he promptly leads us next season to our best season ever and finishes runner up in the Heisman. Either our coaching staff is blind or he made the greatest leap in the history of college football between those two years. I'll take the former.

We were told that the gap between Stanzi and Christensen was so great....yep, that turned out to be a complete lie.

Coker doesn't see the field at all until the bowl game and proceeds to go for 2 bills. Does anyone in their right mind think that Robinson would have run for anywhere close to that?

Weisman doesn't see ANY time at RB until an injury, he then proceeds to run for 4 straight 100yd games with a 200yd game thrown in for good measure.

I have full faith and confidence in KFs ability to spot and play the best OL. The number of all conference performers and NFL OL is a testament to that. But his ability to gauge the talent of skill position players is so obscenely bad that it borders on laughable.

(Sigh)

Weisman hadn't played RB since 9th grade. He has, as a "big kid", ALWAYS played FB. NO schools recruited him as a "RB". Not even Air Force. Which does almost nothing BUT run the ball.

And yet whenever we have a QB struggle, everyone wants to go with the backup. It didn't take many games into the 2006 season for people to start calling for Jake or many games into the 2010 season for people to call for JVB. Kurt protects us from ourselves. If it was up to the idiots on this board, by week 10 we'd be playing the guy who quarterbacked the best intramural team on campus.

How's this for a line-up:

WR T G C G T TE SE
Thunder Scorp Ghost Spider Norwalk Boss JDM hb62
Slot-OoTH
QB-ok4p

FB-boat
RB-ColoradoHawkeye

Works for me. But, fearing your accuracy, do NOT throw to me at SE!

I'm not sure he doesn't see some of those things in his pre-snap reads. It may just be a deal where he sees it, but then as soon as he's blitzed, everything else just goes right out the window.

Is there also an element of him not wanting to make a big mistake, so he won't try to squeeze plays unless he knows it's fairly safe to make the throw? Top flight QBs have confidence they can fit any ball anywhere they need to, and don't worry about the interceptions - they happen, but they don't prevent the throw from happening. He won't pull the trigger unless he's sure it's safe. I think all of the other things about him are true - doesn't handle blitzes well, locks on to receivers, doesn't see the field, is not patient enough, doesn't have the right touch on the ball on certain throws - but maybe there's an overriding concern about the TO not being made that causes pause and hesitation.

Or maybe I'm just over-analyzing this as I dust the Cheetos off my fingertips.

(Sigh)

Weisman hadn't played RB since 9th grade. He has, as a "big kid", ALWAYS played FB. NO schools recruited him as a "RB". Not even Air Force. Which does almost nothing BUT run the ball.

I agree with this but what's the excuse for not knowing he is our best option in short yardage situations?

Is there also an element of him not wanting to make a big mistake, so he won't try to squeeze plays unless he knows it's fairly safe to make the throw? Top flight QBs have confidence they can fit any ball anywhere they need to, and don't worry about the interceptions - they happen, but they don't prevent the throw from happening. He won't pull the trigger unless he's sure it's safe. I think all of the other things about him are true - doesn't handle blitzes well, locks on to receivers, doesn't see the field, is not patient enough, doesn't have the right touch on the ball on certain throws - but maybe there's an overriding concern about the TO not being made that causes pause and hesitation.

Or maybe I'm just over-analyzing this as I dust the Cheetos off my fingertips.

You should try licking that cheese off. It works and tastes great!

(Sigh)

Air Force runs the double wing, just like Navy and Georgia Tech. The fullback gets a boat load of carries in that offense. That's why Weisman initially committed there.

Heard from a buddy that the drop between Ruddock and JVB is pretty steep, but that the staff is EXTREMELY high on Sokol and expects him to win the competition handily next year.

Anyone else with real connections hear anything similar?

I am pretty skeptical of KF ever holding on to the future. That said, Canzeri is not getting into games. To me, it fits more w/ KF's philosophy to keep JVB in there to get confidence and some sort of feel, knowing that PSU would sit in base at the end of the game. Also, he does not want to destroy JVB's confidence completely and it seems to be pretty shaky.

The more interesting thing is whether or not this is truly Greg D.'s offense. Or, did KF revert back to some of the old stuff after NIU, ISU or CMU? Do the two styles mix at all? Do Davis and KF mix at all? I think KF has him on a short leash.

I am pretty skeptical of KF ever holding on to the future. That said, Canzeri is not getting into games. To me, it fits more w/ KF's philosophy to keep JVB in there to get confidence and some sort of feel, knowing that PSU would sit in base at the end of the game. Also, he does not want to destroy JVB's confidence completely and it seems to be pretty shaky.

The more interesting thing is whether or not this is truly Greg D.'s offense. Or, did KF revert back to some of the old stuff after NIU, ISU or CMU? Do the two styles mix at all? Do Davis and KF mix at all? I think KF has him on a short leash.

It doesn't mesh at all for me. Davis seems like he would like to use the pass to set up the run. And KF just would rather run every play to nullify any chance of a nirp 6.

I don't doubt that some of the problem with JVB's lack of numbers have to do with the O we are running but if you can't complete a slant to a wide open guy, throw a 5 yard out at the guy's feet, lock on to the primary target almost every play, and just make horrible decisions with the ball you have a bigger problem than the play calling.

Don't get me wrong GD's O clearly isn't working very well but he isn't the one throwing the ball on the field. Hell take a look at the MSU game last week. The first screen he called was WIDE open and would have gone for 20,30+ yards if Vandy would have just taken one step to the side and thrown the ball, instead he tries to throw it over a guy that is right in his face and 6'6 and it gets picked off. QB play is a big part of the problem why our O isn't working.

Spot on ... This is not simply a new offense ... JVB is simply rattled this year. Five yard outs and throwing bullets in front of or behind the receiver. Does not check down to his second or third options. Panicks when rushed. It's a combination of things ... some of it falls on the receivers as well ... I would not be shocked if Davis is one and done at OC (I believe he only signed on for one year) ...

Yeah you can't blame a bunch of clearly errant throws on the offensive scheme unless young JVB is incapable of throwing those routes and if he is then you definitely should change to the backup.

How's this for a line-up:

WR T G C G T TE SE
Thunder Scorp Ghost Spider Norwalk Boss JDM hb62
Slot-OoTH
QB-ok4p

FB-boat
RB-ColoradoHawkeye

Works for me. But, fearing your accuracy, do NOT throw to me at SE!

With all do respect, we're gonna need a s&!tload of beer and water....and some good looking trainers I would imagine as well.

They are saving Sokol for next year and we will make another run. 2013 and 2014 will be big.

Perfect, we definitely don't want our QB starting more than 2 years, anymore than that and the coaches will destroy him. Also, I hope Sokol isn't from Iowa, because Iowa QB's are a disaster (see Matt Sherman).

Perfect, we definitely don't want our QB starting more than 2 years, anymore than that and the coaches will destroy him. Also, I hope Sokol isn't from Iowa, because Iowa QB's are a disaster (see Matt Sherman).

Dude Sokol is a JUCO and can only play 2 years. He's redshirting right now.

Latest posts