Something I heard re: QB's and Ruddock

That goes without saying but unfortunately we'll never get to see it as JVB shot and killed Sasquatch with his bow just this last Sunday. I heard he's going to have it mounted with his bear like they were involved in some sort of epic battle to the death.

How is it that JVB can hit Sasquatch with an arrow shot from his bow, but he can not hit a receiver with a football?

Air Force runs the double wing, just like Navy and Georgia Tech. The fullback gets a boat load of carries in that offense. That's why Weisman initially committed there.

True. And he committed as a FB. He never played "big boy" ball as a RB.

Last edited:
I agree with this but what's the excuse for not knowing he is our best option in short yardage situations?

Other than the fact our FB rarely gets the ball, I have no answer to what is an excellent question. Why did we even move Rogers to FB when he showed he could be a very serviceable ball-carrier? Seems to me he is being wasted at FB. The way we use FBs, there is no point in recruiting them. Simply take a LB or TE and convert him.

With all do respect, we're gonna need a s&!tload of beer and water....and some good looking trainers I would imagine as well.

What are YOU worried about? There's six guys behind you that will get all the carries, anyway, once your suspension takes effect. Where do you plan to transfer?

I don't doubt that some of the problem with JVB's lack of numbers have to do with the O we are running but if you can't complete a slant to a wide open guy, throw a 5 yard out at the guy's feet, lock on to the primary target almost every play, and just make horrible decisions with the ball you have a bigger problem than the play calling.

Don't get me wrong GD's O clearly isn't working very well but he isn't the one throwing the ball on the field. Hell take a look at the MSU game last week. The first screen he called was WIDE open and would have gone for 20,30+ yards if Vandy would have just taken one step to the side and thrown the ball, instead he tries to throw it over a guy that is right in his face and 6'6 and it gets picked off. QB play is a big part of the problem why our O isn't working.

I've seen enough of Vandenburg ; the guy has a strong arm but his decision making is as bad as I can recall seeing from a Big 10 starting QB. Face the facts ; he's in over his head .

How is it that JVB can hit Sasquatch with an arrow shot from his bow, but he can not hit a receiver with a football?

Maybe we can all chip in and buy Davis, KMM and CJF bear costumes to wear on the field.

Talked to a guy today who saw Rudock play ball in high school and has some pretty heavy first hand knowledge of Hawkeye football. I mentioned that the fan base is wondering if the drop off between JV and JR is huge and he laughed at me. He seemed to think the only explanation is that Ferentz is loyal to his seniors and that Rudock would be a beast. Take that for whatever it's worth to you.

Other than the fact our FB rarely gets the ball, I have no answer to what is an excellent question. Why did we even move Rogers to FB when he showed he could be a very serviceable ball-carrier? Seems to me he is being wasted at FB. Tuhe way we use FBs, there is no poin irecruiting them. Simply take a LB or TE and convert him.

He ran the ball a couple times before the 1st and goal from the 3 against isu and that was enough for me to realize he was our best option there. Hindsight says I was right and kirk was wrong no big deal.

True. And he committed as a FB. He never played "big boy" ball as a RB.

I'm not sure you're understanding. "Fullback" is not exactly the technical term. The "B" back lines up behind the QB. Jonathon Dwyer was a "B" back. Pretty sure he qualified as a running back.

Weisman was recruited as a "B" back, with good reason. He's perfect for that position.

Heard from a buddy that the drop between Ruddock and JVB is pretty steep, but that the staff is EXTREMELY high on Sokol and expects him to win the competition handily next year.

Anyone else with real connections hear anything similar?

Don't rule out Beathard...

I'm not sure you're understanding. "Fullback" is not exactly the technical term. The "B" back lines up behind the QB. Jonathon Dwyer was a "B" back. Pretty sure he qualified as a running back.

Weisman was recruited as a "B" back, with good reason. He's perfect for that position.

I understand it. But the fact remains, Weisman has never play RB in our type of system.

He ran the ball a couple times before the 1st and goal from the 3 against isu and that was enough for me to realize he was our best option there. Hindsight says I was right and kirk was wrong no big deal.

Um...he had a total of 8 yards before he stepped in at RB. While I agree he is our best option, I don't think we saw enough to even go on, which is part of "my" problem with the fact our FBs are RARELY utilized as ball-carriers or pass-catchers. When they ARE utilized, it's almost a "gimmick" play. FB should NOT be merely a "gimmick".

Um...he had a total of 8 yards before he stepped in at RB. While I agree he is our best option, I don't think we saw enough to even go on, which is part of "my" problem with the fact our FBs are RARELY utilized as ball-carriers or pass-catchers. When they ARE utilized, it's almost a "gimmick" play. FB should NOT be merely a "gimmick".

If I'm not mistaken it was 8 yards on two 3rd and 1 carries. When your other option is Bullock I would say that's enough evidence to go on regarding who the best option is on short yardage downs.

Maybe we can all chip in and buy Davis, KMM and CJF bear costumes to wear on the field.

Talked to a guy today who saw Rudock play ball in high school and has some pretty heavy first hand knowledge of Hawkeye football. I mentioned that the fan base is wondering if the drop off between JV and JR is huge and he laughed at me. He seemed to think the only explanation is that Ferentz is loyal to his seniors and that Rudock would be a beast. Take that for whatever it's worth to you.

Its worth slightly less than that food baby I birthed and flushed this AM.

I don't know how they weren't looking for short yardage backs before the season started. They had to know they were going to struggle there before the first game. It doesn't matter if Weisman never had any carries before. It only makes sense that he and Rogers are the first 2 people you look at to feel that need.

Wow....now everyone is idiots on this board. You were picked last alot during recess weren't you! Just stop.

QUOTE=okeefe4prez;946273]And yet whenever we have a QB struggle, everyone wants to go with the backup. It didn't take many games into the 2006 season for people to start calling for Jake or many games into the 2010 season for people to call for JVB. Kurt protects us from ourselves. If it was up to the idiots on this board, by week 10 we'd be playing the guy who quarterbacked the best intramural team on campus.[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken it was 8 yards on two 3rd and 1 carries. When your other option is Bullock I would say that's enough evidence to go on regarding who the best option is on short yardage downs.

Agreed. But like I said, my "personal" problem isn't that HE wasn't utilized, it's that our FB, as RULE, is not utilized.

But just those yards/carries weren't enough to tell us he would be as explosive as he has been at RB. Obviously, they saw it in practice or he wouldn't have been given the chance when Bullock and Garmon went down.

Latest posts