So what can you say after Drake game?

longtimer

Drake is what we all thought originally (bad with little talent) Ok they played Minnesota to a 1 point game on the road, but we trounced Ohio State in football and I don't see how you can explain either. Cook got 23 (5 dunks) but had 6 turnovers in maybe 25 minutes. The guy is a great jumper and dunker but still doesnt have a 15 foot shot and when he puts the ball on the floor to go to the basket he has a tendency to bull his way resulting in a lot of turnovers and charges. Athletically talented and definitely a 4 year player.
Really our best or at least most important player is Baer. What does that say about recruiting? Sure he is a pretty good player but not a difference maker type

I guess we played better defense at least we seemed to play with more energy but We wont play a team as bad as Drake in the conference. Ok so Im a bit critical after a 25 point win. I still think we are headed to the deep second division of the conference and I still think we are not a well coached team Sure hope Im wrong

Yes part of the reason I'm not flying after such a big win is the second game. I watched a bit of Clones taking down UNI. Wiggington is a difference maker and will play in the NBA probably not after this year? but very likely before he does his 4 years at Iowa State. Bottom line is McCaffrey has been unable to recruit that kind of player and its hard to get to the next level without it

All true. I did see better ball movement on offense but again Drake did not have big guys inside to stop a lot of high low passes. Cant get much info from this game. Drake's quick guards were still able to penetrate which is not good. As for ISU yes, their quick guards got to the rim alot against UNI but I thought the hawks were in position to win in Ames and Iowa didnt even play that well up there. Not sure how good the Big 12 is but if Iowa can almost beat ISU at AMes when Iowa not playing great that doesnt bode well for ISU.

I say Baer played like Baer for the first time this year. He's getting his mojo back and that'll be our saving grace. There's just a ton of responsibility on that young man. I say once we kinda figured out how they were defending us we were able to use our size advantage and get some high low action to work. They just didn't physically have anyone that could matchup with Cook or Garza. They just didn't... They did a good job of doubling and clogging the lane on us for awhile but we adjusted and got our floor spacing better making it tougher for them to do it in the 2nd half. That subtle adjustment I think they made at halftime was huge

As team we probably played our best game of the season. We stuck to our game plan and used our advantage to exploit Drake.

I’m wondering where those 4 “all world” guards from Drake were, maybe they didn’t get off the bus. Funny that we haven’t heard much from those posters that were claiming those guys were going to shred Iowa.

But this one was all about Baer. He is just a good basketball player. His injury, as many of us realized, was a big reason for some of the early season woes. Plus he took some time to shake off the rust. On a young team he is the energy and glue guy that we need to make this thing go.

Going forward Fran still needs to shorten this rotation, it is just unsustainable. Right now I don’t see what, if anything Wagner is bringing us at the 3. To me he is just taking Dailey’s minutes which I’m not a fan of. I also think Ellingson’s minutes should be limited. Needles to say we know Fran and that probably won’t happen.

They're certainly an improved ball club with Baer and C. McCaffery back. Better ball movement as has been stated but really not going to be able to control the rim at both ends in many games going forward like yesterday. Better intensity on defense as well.

A good win and decent chances to build some momentum in next 5 games with 4 of 5 at home and one on neutral court.

"whew" is all I can say...lol

We really need to take care of the rest of the non conference games. Colorado will be tough but they have struggled as well.

For most of the game, Iowa seemed interested in challenging the perimeter shooting of Drake.

Baer is a gamer...thinks, helps out, energy...

Baer had a stretch that was amazing. Forced like 3 turnovers on the press. Had one possession he scored, was last back on D but hustled and Drake shot a quick shot and he still made it back to get the rebound. He has some of the best hands... Both quick and strong. It seems like every time a ball is bouncing around on the rebound that he’s close by, he ends up grabbing it and gaining posession.

I do still think he’s a little quick on the trigger from 3. He’s a good shooter and I think he went 1-3 last night from 3 but I thought all were fairly well contested. I think he needs to pick his spots just a little better and he’ll be even more dangerous.

What does it mean? Well, Iowa's looking right now like a team that can win at least 10 games. That was in question not to long ago. So, that is progress. Conner has helped in the back court. 2nd half play was a lot better against Drake. The players looked like they were having fun for a change. Winning is better than losing.

Not sure how much you take out of this game as we beat a miniature sized basketball team.

If Iowa is going to change minds and turn heads on this season, they will have to earn in big time in conference play. Remains to be seen.

I say Baer played like Baer for the first time this year. He's getting his mojo back and that'll be our saving grace. There's just a ton of responsibility on that young man. I say once we kinda figured out how they were defending us we were able to use our size advantage and get some high low action to work. They just didn't physically have anyone that could matchup with Cook or Garza. They just didn't... They did a good job of doubling and clogging the lane on us for awhile but we adjusted and got our floor spacing better making it tougher for them to do it in the 2nd half. That subtle adjustment I think they made at halftime was huge

Most of the turnovers came out of those double teams and entry passes to the post.

Making the tournament is a long shot now. Get to 10-6 going into Michigan game and we are probably looking at another NIT bid. Not what anyone wants, but that is what it looks like right now.

Baer had a stretch that was amazing. Forced like 3 turnovers on the press. Had one possession he scored, was last back on D but hustled and Drake shot a quick shot and he still made it back to get the rebound. He has some of the best hands... Both quick and strong. It seems like every time a ball is bouncing around on the rebound that he’s close by, he ends up grabbing it and gaining posession.

I do still think he’s a little quick on the trigger from 3. He’s a good shooter and I think he went 1-3 last night from 3 but I thought all were fairly well contested. I think he needs to pick his spots just a little better and he’ll be even more dangerous.

He is the teams best rebounder. Not a knock on Cook, but I wish he had that relentless energy that Baer has.

I still think we are a "slow" team, slow to react, slow to anticipate. Drake is not a good team. Our size disrupted flow, and created turnovers. I like Connor at the point, smart, decisive, but has a ways to go on defense still young and raw, and not Big ready. Baer is a gamer no doubt, way more aggressive on defense, and can slide in between the crack on your wall to get a rebound. Just kerp getting better each game and get some "W's"

They played to their advantage, first time all year they played smart basketball. Will it continue? We'll see. It would be nice to close out the year with 3 "smart" wins, then I think we can talk. However, I'm afraid the early year stumbles, just like last year, have already sealed their fate regarding the NCAA. It will take a way above expectations for the balance of the Big Ten season to change minds. Not impossible, but a tall order, which, ironically, is the one thing Iowa has going for it this year. Let's see if they take advantage of it.

Most of the turnovers came out of those double teams and entry passes to the post.

Making the tournament is a long shot now. Get to 10-6 going into Michigan game and we are probably looking at another NIT bid. Not what anyone wants, but that is what it looks like right now.
Agree only way they go dancing is if they go on a crazy run and win BIG tourney.. Don't see that happening. I think this group will make some strides as the year goes on though and next year should be a ton of fun

Instead of focusing on the players my comments deal with the coaching staff. In at least this one game, someone in that braintrust figured out the best way to defend against Drake’s 3-point shooters was to not let them get in position at all. Or if they did they’d have to rush the shot.

Iowa’s press was extremely effective disrupting Drake’s half court offense. Drake lost the ball and committed turnovers that led to Iowa’s runs.

Someone on the staff spotted a Drake weakness and how to use an Iowa strength (length) to exploit it.

So we learned that Fran and his staff are capable of changing tactics mid-game.

Will/can they do it again?

I guess stay tuned.

Instead of focusing on the players my comments deal with the coaching staff. In at least this one game, someone in that braintrust figured out the best way to defend against Drake’s 3-point shooters was to not let them get in position at all. Or if they did they’d have to rush the shot.

Iowa’s press was extremely effective disrupting Drake’s half court offense. Drake lost the ball and committed turnovers that led to Iowa’s runs.

Someone on the staff spotted a Drake weakness and how to use an Iowa strength (length) to exploit it.

So we learned that Fran and his staff are capable of changing tactics mid-game.

Will/can they do it again?

I guess stay tuned.

I agree, having Baer on the point of that trap defense. He's lengthy, and sneaky quick, it was a great call from whomever drew that up

As team we probably played our best game of the season. We stuck to our game plan and used our advantage to exploit Drake.

I’m wondering where those 4 “all world” guards from Drake were, maybe they didn’t get off the bus. Funny that we haven’t heard much from those posters that were claiming those guys were going to shred Iowa.

But this one was all about Baer. He is just a good basketball player. His injury, as many of us realized, was a big reason for some of the early season woes. Plus he took some time to shake off the rust. On a young team he is the energy and glue guy that we need to make this thing go.

Going forward Fran still needs to shorten this rotation, it is just unsustainable. Right now I don’t see what, if anything Wagner is bringing us at the 3. To me he is just taking Dailey’s minutes which I’m not a fan of. I also think Ellingson’s minutes should be limited. Needles to say we know Fran and that probably won’t happen.

Really good to see Baer back. He is the MVP for the Hawkeyes. He is the smartest player on the court. Very high basketball IQ, anticipates passing lanes, has the ability to analyze the angles, where the ball will carom off the glass or rim.....

The press looked very good. Almost felt sorry for the Bulldogs.....

Connor looked good passing the ball around. He is definitely not at full strength. He might have to play in 3/4 minute stretches. He would still be effective and hopefully, have the energy to play the entire game that way.....

We should use Wagner when we need a big body on the floor. He plays D well and can get rebounds. He is also fearless.....

Finally, a game to feel good about......

I still think this team will upset a few B1G teams this season. At least the games could be fun to watch again.....

:cool:

Latest posts