Play of the game...

I was a freshman in 57. I do not remember a mobile QB who wasn't a star for us. Help me out on this. But mobility seems to have always been a good thing for us.

Exactly, if Sullivan starts from now on, and keeps running as much as he did against NW, he will start to get banged up or flat out injured. If you are going to play a running QB, you need to have another QB ready to go. Cade can probably fill that backup role best.

Now I don't know how well Lainez is progressing, but he might be good as another running option in a backup role next year. The same way Iowa rotates it's RB's to keep them fresh and avoid injuries, maybe Iowa could start rotating 2 running QB's for the same reason.

I’m 100% on the Sullivan train and I think it’s the right move to start him from here on out.

However…

You folks need to pump the brakes a little bit on the expectations.

Absolutely. I think...i hope...most of us look at upside of Sullivan showing itself sporadically and in the margins this season. It is next season when we would see the upside of him starting now.

Also, people wanting KF to make a public decision on a starting QB 6 days before playing Wisconsin are idiots. I'm sorry, it's true.

Even though Fickell and Tressel are smart enough to game plan 2 QBs, there's a psychological aspect to it as well when you go into games with big unknowns. @99topdawg can tell you even at the high school level it sucks going into a big baseball game not knowing what pitcher you're facing until 15 minutes before first pitch. It's not going to change your approach with your hitters just like it's not going to change Fickell's approach, but like I said it's psychological. If I knew my guys were going to see Vander Zee pitching you could at least try and get them prepped to see a lefty throwing 85 and it's off your mind. Otherwise it's just a little nagging/distracting thing in the back of your head. Hard to explain.

We don't need t go broadcasting who's starting Saturday night, folks. Fans can frickin' wait till Saturday night and find out. I don't like wondering any more than anyone else, but let's not be dumbasses here.

Also, people wanting KF to make a public decision on a starting QB 6 days before playing Wisconsin are idiots. I'm sorry, it's true.

Even though Fickell and Tressel are smart enough to game plan 2 QBs, there's a psychological aspect to it as well when you go into games with big unknowns. @99topdawg can tell you even at the high school level it sucks going into a big baseball game not knowing what pitcher you're facing until 15 minutes before first pitch. It's not going to change your approach with your hitters just like it's not going to change Fickell's approach, but like I said it's psychological. If I knew my guys were going to see Vander Zee pitching you could at least try and get them prepped to see a lefty throwing 85 and it's off your mind. Otherwise it's just a little nagging/distracting thing in the back of your head. Hard to explain.

We don't need t go broadcasting who's starting Saturday night, folks. Fans can wait till Saturday night and find out.
I'm totally good with sitting on any such public announcement for those reasons. Just so long as Sullivan is taking the 1st team reps and he ends up starting.

Then going past this week we don't need the back and forth hemming and hawing over the two guys. Cause it's not close. It shouldn't be a tough decision. Sullivan opens things up for KJ as much as anyone to be successful. When teams don't have to honor the QB keeping it on zone reads then there's damn near almost no point to running them. Just run misdirection/counter plays instead.

Sully needs to start, period. There is no other position on the field other than coach where you get as much leash to hang yourself as Iowa QB's. Any other position played this poorly would get the next guy in like 5 games ago. Best chance to win is with the best QB and by my scoring memory last game was 35-5, not even close, in favor of Sully. Data don't lie and the eye test was was overwhelming. What Ferentz will do is a coin toss for me, no idea.

Latest posts