So what can you say after Drake game?

That may be the case, but aren’t we arguing two different things here? People are talking about the NCAA tournament selection (which by the way is done at the end of the year), and we are talking about comparing teams on the floor right now.

Prior to the Drake game someone mentioned that Iowa’s RPI was above 200. If someone actually believes that there are 200 college basketball teams better than Iowa, than they are absolutely moronic and I have no use in discussing with them and that is exactly why the RPI system is extremely flawed. Did you know that Towson currently ranks 33 in the RPI, which ranks ahead of Miami and Gonzaga?

C’mon people! The RPI is garbage, especially at the beginning of the year. Wake up.

This is true, and it's largely because the RPI heavily weights schedule, and most major conference teams play bad schedules to start the year. But it's also true that the noncon is largely complete. Iowa has played 38% of it's games. Right now Iowa's RPI according to the NCAA is at ~200. Iowa doesn't have a win against a team in the top 200. No, I don't think there are 200 teams better than Iowa. Yes, that number will improve. However, Iowa's ability to improve that number significantly is going to be difficult with the anchor of the first 12 games.

I agree it is a team game.

My point was really in reference to the thread where people were saying we could use their guards, to which I still maintain is funny. What I responded to that, is for the most part there is a reason these guys are mid major players.

I watched the game Saturday, and I’m not sure I’d take any of their guards. Sure I’d probably take Timmer over say Ellingson, but I wouldn’t take him over Bohannon or Moss. Even so Timmer would not fix any of the issues people currently have with our guard play. Their other guards wouldn’t get court time on Iowa in my estimation.

Here is a look at Timmer vs B1G opponents the last two games:
6/24 FG - 25%
3/12 3s - 25%

Again, for the most part there is a reason these guys are mid major players.

Btw I am no apologist, I call Fran on many things. But I also will call other posters on blatant BS like saying we need Drake’s guards.

You wouldn't take Timmer over Moss, Dailey or Connor? Haha you're crazy. He put up 29 and 28 on Wake Forest and Colorado and he's shooting over 50% from 3 on the year.

With the injuries Iowa has had its hard to have a cohesive team. Hopefully, they hawkeye basketball team will have a great conference season. Its to bad they did so poorly in the preseason, but with the injuries it is what it is.

I agree it is a team game.

My point was really in reference to the thread where people were saying we could use their guards, to which I still maintain is funny. What I responded to that, is for the most part there is a reason these guys are mid major players.

I watched the game Saturday, and I’m not sure I’d take any of their guards. Sure I’d probably take Timmer over say Ellingson, but I wouldn’t take him over Bohannon or Moss. Even so Timmer would not fix any of the issues people currently have with our guard play. Their other guards wouldn’t get court time on Iowa in my estimation.

Here is a look at Timmer vs B1G opponents the last two games:
6/24 FG - 25%
3/12 3s - 25%

Again, for the most part there is a reason these guys are mid major players.

Btw I am no apologist, I call Fran on many things. But I also will call other posters on blatant BS like saying we need Drake’s guards.
I would take Timmer over Ellingson and Dailey. Maybe even Moss.

You wouldn't take Timmer over Moss, Dailey or Connor? Haha you're crazy. He put up 29 and 28 on Wake Forest and Colorado and he's shooting over 50% from 3 on the year.
I’d take him over Dailey, Ellingson, and Connor, but he in no way helps us with anything guard related that everyone is complaining about. I don’t think I’d take him over a sophomore Moss, that doesn’t mean that Timmer isn’t a better player, he is, what it means is that our perimeter defense and guard athleticism would be even worse than it already is.

I’d take him over Dailey, Ellingson, and Connor, but he in no way helps us with anything guard related that everyone is complaining about. I don’t think I’d take him over a sophomore Moss, that doesn’t mean that Timmer isn’t a better player, he is, what it means is that our perimeter defense and guard athleticism would be even worse than it already is.

You say that like Moss is a good perimeter defender when he's actually pretty bad at it.

Timmer was 1-8 vs Minnesota and 5-14 vs Iowa. 3-12 from three combined against Big 10 opponents. By the way, here's what you said about Wake Forest and Colorado in a different thread.

Wake Forest isn't very good this year and Colorado is worse than any team in the Big Tenl,

Timmer was 1-8 vs Minnesota and 5-14 vs Iowa. 3-12 from three combined against Big 10 opponents. By the way, here's what you said about Wake Forest and Colorado in a different thread.

Wake Forest isn't very good this year and Colorado is worse than any team in the Big Tenl,

I was just showing his stats versus other P5 opponents. It's not like we're a bunch of world beaters this year but Wake Forest and Colorado are not good. I'm not sold on Minnesota either, they're not even top 40 in KenPom anymore. I think Timmer would start for us and I think Drake is really bad. That aren't mutually exclusive.

I was just showing his stats versus other P5 opponents. It's not like we're a bunch of world beaters this year but Wake Forest and Colorado are not good. I'm not sold on Minnesota either, they're not even top 40 in KenPom anymore. I think Timmer would start for us and I think Drake is really bad. That aren't mutually exclusive.

So, me pointing out Timmer struggling against two tougher teams in Minnesota and Iowa (who isn't a world beater) than Wake Forest and Colorado doesn't register? You think Timmer (at 6 foot 1) would start along side Bohannon (also at 6 foot 1)? You already said last year that Jordan would never be good at defense at his size. So, you would start another guard at the same size over Moss? Seems crazy to me based on how important you think defense is. By the way, Timmer's defensive rating is worse than both Bohannon's and Moss' this year. :)

So, me pointing out Timmer struggling against two tougher teams in Minnesota and Iowa (who isn't a world beater) than Wake Forest and Colorado doesn't register? You think Timmer (at 6 foot 1) would start along side Bohannon (also at 6 foot 1)? You already said last year that Jordan would never be good at defense at his size. So, you would start another guard at the same size over Moss? Seems crazy to me based on how important you think defense is. By the way, Timmer's defensive rating is worse than both Bohannon's and Moss' this year. :)

Moss also had 2 points versus Virginia Tech and Indiana and 4 points versus Iowa State. Timmer would be an upgrade over Moss overall even if Moss is a little better defender because Timmer is MUCH better offensively.

This is true, and it's largely because the RPI heavily weights schedule, and most major conference teams play bad schedules to start the year. But it's also true that the noncon is largely complete. Iowa has played 38% of it's games. Right now Iowa's RPI according to the NCAA is at ~200. Iowa doesn't have a win against a team in the top 200. No, I don't think there are 200 teams better than Iowa. Yes, that number will improve. However, Iowa's ability to improve that number significantly is going to be difficult with the anchor of the first 12 games.
But again you are completely missing the point. Barring a miracle, Iowa is not going to the NCAA tournament this year, we know this.

We are trying to compare teams right now in a head to head basis. The RPI is a flat out awful way to do that and I have given ample reasons as to why. The problem is people keep trying to use this flawed statistic to prove their point.

Moss also had 2 points versus Virginia Tech and Indiana and 4 points versus Iowa State. Timmer would be an upgrade over Moss overall even if Moss is a little better defender because Timmer is MUCH better offensively.

So, again, start two 6 foot 1 inch guards who don't improve (according to you) defensively? Where does Timmer start? He has 32 assists to 18 turnovers (not even a 2-1 ratio). By the way, Jordan is at 56 assists to 24 turnovers. Timmer starts at the 2? You think that improves the team?

this is pointless because 5656 would rather have nearly any other schools player then to have what Iowa has.

So, again, start two 6 foot 1 inch guards who don't improve (according to you) defensively? Where does Timmer start? He has 32 assists to 18 turnovers (not even a 2-1 ratio). By the way, Jordan is at 56 assists to 24 turnovers. Timmer starts at the 2? You think that improves the team?

Timmer and Bohannon is a much better back court overall than Moss and Bohannon. Timmer at the 2 over Moss would be a large upgrade. Moss isn't a very good defender and while he might be better than Timmer defensively Timmer is the better overall player. Teams would have a much harder time defending us with two sharp shooters out there instead of just one. Look how much better we were last year with Jok and Bohannon offensively than we are with Moss and Bohannon!

this is pointless because 5656 would rather have nearly any other schools player then to have what Iowa has.

I think it is funny. He says Iowa stinks because they are slow and unathletic. However, he thinks that another 6 foot 1 in guard should start over the 6 foot 5 inch player who is more athletic and better defensively. Seems like a solution, right?

Timmer's been better offensively than Moss so far - no doubt. But, after being lectured about how bad Iowa is on the defensive end, I find it funny that he would rather have another defensively challenged player start for Iowa. Does he see how funny that is?

Timmer is the only player I'd want from Drake and if you don't think he's better than Moss right now well I guess all I can do is laugh at that haha.

I think it is funny. He says Iowa stinks because they are slow and unathletic. However, he thinks that another 6 foot 1 in guard should start over the 6 foot 5 inch player who is more athletic and better defensively. Seems like a solution, right?

Timmer's been better offensively than Moss so far - no doubt. But, after being lectured about how bad Iowa is on the defensive end, I find it funny that he would rather have another defensively challenged player start for Iowa. Does he see how funny that is?

You keep talking like Moss is a good defender when he's not. I'd rather have someone MUCH better offensively and a little worse defensively if given the choice. Moss is a little better defensively and more athletic than Pete was but I bet you would take Pete back in a second because of his offense and what that opened up for others.

Timmer is the only player I'd want from Drake and if you don't think he's better than Moss right now well I guess all I can do is laugh at that haha.

Timmer has good shooting numbers so far this year. However, he struggled the past couple of games against Power 5 teams better than Wake Forest and Colorado (your words). Timmer was 16-18 FTs for his 28 points vs Colorado. Timmer's numbers will regress to the mean more than likely this year. Moss has been the better defender than Timmer and he will be guarding much tougher players in the Big 10 than the MVC. Who was better on Saturday? Moss looked more efficient to me.

Moss - 22 minutes, 4-8 FGs, 9 points, 2 assists
Timmer - 34 minutes, 5-14 FGs, 13 points, 3 assists

So, from a team aspect, how does a worse defensive player who is less athletic help Iowa?

Latest posts