So let's look at McCaffrey' recruiting

If he took over for Tom Davis, I would say he deserves a C over the last 6 years for maintaining standard university success. Since he took over for Lick, I say he deserves better than a C for getting the program back to average university success after being the worst they've ever been.
Lickliters worst season had 4 wins in conference. What will you say when Iowa wins only 1 or 2 this year?

And I will never say "at least he's not Lick". I understand that 9 out of 10 coaches we would bring in would do better than him. But I also think that only 2 out of 10 would do better than Fran. Most would do about the same. Before this season I would have said only 1 out of 10 would do better.

I think playing Garza the right way and not hedging out at half court because he can't get back on D is part of the problem. Pemsl was better as a freshman than he is as a sophomore but we've seen that before ie. Mike Gesell. Wagner was a waste talk about a guy who is NO threat to score. At least Garza can finish around the basket he has some great big man offensive skills he needs to get better on D which will never happen under Fran.

Lickliters worst season had 4 wins in conference. What will you say when Iowa wins only 1 or 2 this year?

I will say if they move on I'm completely fine with it. I would also say the main reason they got rid of Lick (thank god) is that every year the best players left. The following year, the team always looked to be in worse shape than the previous year. As bad as 3 wins would be, at least we have a young team and good recruits coming.

And I will never say "at least he's not Lick". I understand that 9 out of 10 coaches we would bring in would do better than him. But I also think that only 2 out of 10 would do better than Fran. Most would do about the same. Before this season I would have said only 1 out of 10 would do better.
How do you know this?! I'd say the dude at OSU is going to be coach of the year OMG he's made all the difference. You can always say that because there's not going to be anything to compare it to. Let's look at what he's done realistically like a historical perspective not this garbage "only 2 out of 10 would do better...." You have NO idea if that is true.

Rebuilding basketball is not like rebuilding football. It can be done and can be done quickly because it only takes a couple players. I don’t give a pass I year 8 because the team was also bad 9 years ago. That team has nothing to do with results a decade later.

How do you know this?! I'd say the dude at OSU is going to be coach of the year OMG he's made all the difference. You can always say that because there's not going to be anything to compare it to. Let's look at what he's done realistically like a historical perspective not this garbage "only 2 out of 10 would do better...." You have NO idea if that is true.

Did it come off like I was stating it as fact? In my mind it was obvious that I was giving my opinion. Sorry for the confusion.

Rebuilding basketball is not like rebuilding football. It can be done and can be done quickly because it only takes a couple players. I don’t give a pass I year 8 because the team was also bad 9 years ago. That team has nothing to do with results a decade later.

I don't give a pass for year 8 because of 9 years ago. I understand there are down years and this is one of them. The only question left is if this down year is too down to let it slide.

I would say over the last 8 years, when you factor in where we were as a program at the time he was hired and where we are as a program over the history of the program, Fran deserves around a B grade for what he's done. For both recruiting and results. Maybe a B- at worst.

How does 2 NCAA Tournament appearances and a play in game loss in 8 years justify a B grade?

It's not just about finding a coach who's better either. It's about odds of finding a coach who's better, weighed against finding a coach who's worse, weighed against finding a coach who is the same but everyone hates, weighed against finding a coach who's better who just leaves after a year or 2. Before this year, I would have said we would have a really hard time finding a coach who has better results AND wants to stay. Obviously at this point in time, the odds of that have increased. For the record, this is just my opinion, for people who have trouble figuring that out on their own.

Do you watch other big ten teams play each other ? They don’t have a Nunge or Garza type athlete on the floor . We just gave them a match up to exploit for the next four years . It’s called realism
Nunge will be fine when he gets back at his natural position of the 4. Both guys have the potential to be all conference players before they leave Iowa.

It's crazy how fans think it's so easy to make the NCAA tournament. That's the biggest problem with some people's expectations. People for some reason think an average university in the middle of a crappy state (national perception wise) should just easily get into the tournament more often than most other Big 10 teams. I'm not sure how people have such warped visions of where the University of Iowa "should" be. Other fan bases have to die laughing reading these message boards.
So the 13 tourney wins in Tom Davis 13 seasons was just luck? If anyone is laughing it’s the Doc at the last 3 hires and their inability to get us to the dance on a consistent basis .

So the 13 tourney wins in Tom Davis 13 seasons was just luck? If anyone is laughing it’s the Doc at the last 3 hires and their inability to get us to the dance on a consistent basis .

It was lucky as hell to inherit a team like the one Davis inherited. After he lost those recruits, he was pretty much Fran after he filled his own roster. The fact that what Davis with his own recruits is considered good should prove my point about where the UofI is as a program over it's history.

It was lucky as hell to inherit a team like the one Davis inherited. After he lost those recruits, he was pretty much Fran after he filled his own roster. The fact that what Davis with his own recruits is considered good should prove my point about where the UofI is as a program over it's history.
I agree Davis couldn’t recruit as good as Raveling or Lute . But he could still recruit a hell of a lot better than the last 3 hires and the proof is in the pudding

That's a C grade at best. Some of you guys just don't get it.

It's a C grade at best to take the program from worst it's ever been back to its average? Keeping average at average deserves a C. Going from worst ever to average deserves better because it's harder to do.

Do you not understand that this is what Iowa is on average?

I agree Davis couldn’t recruit as good as Raveling or Lute . But he could still recruit a hell of a lot better than the last 3 hires and the proof is in the pudding

Only when Davis has the luxury of counting his first 2 years while Fran has the handicap of counting his first 2 years.

Latest posts