So let's look at McCaffrey' recruiting

2013 - A - when you can take only 1 player and that 1 player was Jok - who lead the B1G in scoring and played on 3 NCAA teams, that's pretty good
2014 - F - no contributions
2015 - F - no contributions
2016 - B - pretty good class - 2 All B1G Frosh players. Moss moves to here. Even Kriener and Dailey look like they will contribute when all said and done.
2017 - B - both of these Freshman look great imo, are out of state players.
2018 - too early to judge but I'd give it an A just on paper. Wieskamp is a top 40 recruit, Connor is top 150 (he moves to this class) and CJ had offers from Indiana and Xavier... Ellingson didn't have those.

Overall a B to B+ considering you have to include Marble, White, Uthoff in the previous years before your cut off. The 14 and 15 seasons are killing this team and really, those are the first 2 years where Fran had complete misses.
I question that last A but even if it holds, his GPA you gave him is 2.33. That’s C+ with C+ results.

I question that last A but even if it holds, his GPA you gave him is 2.33. That’s C+ with C+ results.

But if your kid has to go to summer school to catch up becasue he got bad grades years ago, do you punish him now even tho he's over a 3.0 the last few years?

2010: B
2011: B
2012: B+
2013: B-
2014: F
2015: D-
2016: B
2017: B (may end up higher)

Overall grade C+ due to the absolutely horrendous 2014 & 2015 cycles. We are basically feeling the pain of that right now. Either way needs to be better.
You are being very generous with your grading system for a program that hasn’t had a sweet 16 appearance since 99. Most sites have him at 10-14th ranked in the big ten every year except the woody class and the cook class and neither on of those got in the top five and were barley in the top half. Since he got here he is still hovering around the D range

You are being very generous with your grading system for a program that hasn’t had a sweet 16 appearance since 99. Most sites have him at 10-14th ranked in the big ten every year except the woody class and the cook class and neither on of those got in the top five and were barley in the top half. Since he got here he is still hovering around the D range

So if we would have made the Sweet 16 in 2006 instead of getting upset first round, would Fran deserve those grades more? Otherwise I'm not sure why you went back past Fran's time here to talk about Sweet 16s.

But if your kid has to go to summer school to catch up becasue he got bad grades years ago, do you punish him now even tho he's over a 3.0 the last few years?
2 things. Summer school doesn’t count, clearly since this team is made up of summer all stars.
Also, There is no way he is anywhere close to a B. His best years at Iowa we’re B’s. Last year was a C at best and this year is failing.

So if we would have made the Sweet 16 in 2006 instead of getting upset first round, would Fran deserve those grades more? Otherwise I'm not sure why you went back past Fran's time here to talk about Sweet 16s.
I see your point. He always overachieves because he is a terrible recruiter . Well except this year . If we go by how the team does their senior year. Just think if he was a good recruiter and overachieved

Fran brought us out of the abyss. We have hope and excitement again (only to have it crash and burn this year). Cut him a little slack as we have done well, even in BIG, in last half-decade. Let's see if we can get a JUCO guard and re-boot next year.

2 things. Summer school doesn’t count, clearly since this team is made up of summer all stars.
Also, There is no way he is anywhere close to a B. His best years at Iowa we’re B’s. Last year was a C at best and this year is failing.

Because of the two F classes.

The whole point is about where they finish. Not where they were ranked out of high school. The grades also take into account the state of the program at the time and scholarship situation. If you think this years class of Garza and Nunge is an F it’s clear that you are just extremely negative.

I don’t care about recruiting “grades.” I care about results grades. He is a C at Iowa at best, but since Lick was an F, somehow fans have been convinced that C is awesome.

I guess you stepped into the wrong thread then.

I guess you stepped into the wrong thread then.
Nah. Results grades are derivative of recruiting grades. To continue the school analogy, it’s like when people try to say that they are just a bad test taker. No, you mean you’re stupid.

Don’t feed me crap about recruiting classes being good if they don’t do anything.

The whole point is about where they finish. Not where they were ranked out of high school. The grades also take into account the state of the program at the time and scholarship situation. If you think this years class of Garza and Nunge is an F it’s clear that you are just extremely negative.
Do you watch other big ten teams play each other ? They don’t have a Nunge or Garza type athlete on the floor . We just gave them a match up to exploit for the next four years . It’s called realism

Nah. Results grades are derivative of recruiting grades. To continue the school analogy, it’s like when people try to say that they are just a bad test taker. No, you mean you’re stupid.

Don’t feed me crap about recruiting classes being good if they don’t do anything.

I would say over the last 8 years, when you factor in where we were as a program at the time he was hired and where we are as a program over the history of the program, Fran deserves around a B grade for what he's done. For both recruiting and results. Maybe a B- at worst.

I would say over the last 8 years, when you factor in where we were as a program at the time he was hired and where we are as a program over the history of the program, Fran deserves around a B grade for what he's done. For both recruiting and results. Maybe a B- at worst.
There you go again with the at least he’s not lickliter stuff. You’ve been convinced that C is a B

It's crazy how fans think it's so easy to make the NCAA tournament. That's the biggest problem with some people's expectations. People for some reason think an average university in the middle of a crappy state (national perception wise) should just easily get into the tournament more often than most other Big 10 teams. I'm not sure how people have such warped visions of where the University of Iowa "should" be. Other fan bases have to die laughing reading these message boards.

There you go again with the at least he’s not lickliter stuff. You’ve been convinced that C is a B

If he took over for Tom Davis, I would say he deserves a C over the last 6 years for maintaining standard university success. Since he took over for Lick, I say he deserves better than a C for getting the program back to average university success after being the worst they've ever been.

Latest posts