So How big was Moss leaving?

Poole didn't play well offensively against Iowa with Moss guarding him. Perhaps that's it. I don't have a sub to the Athletic so I can't read the article. I posted it because I found it interesting.

i believe the hard part for opponents was to guard moss. the harder part was moss being a consistent scorer. if moss was consistent; meaning, he didn't disappear if he missed a few shots, or even if he made some, he could have been a top 10 league scorer because he got open most of the time. that would be my guess re: poole's comments.

Poole didn't play well offensively against Iowa with Moss guarding him. Perhaps that's it. I don't have a sub to the Athletic so I can't read the article. I posted it because I found it interesting.

If someone asked me who the toughest opponent was,my first thought would be who guarded me the toughest, so that makes sense.

Part of Moss disappearing during games involved Fran forgetting about him sitting on the bench.

2ajtsw.gif

Part of Moss disappearing during games involved Fran forgetting about him sitting on the bench.
Moss is probably one of the laziest players I have had to watch get any significant minutes. Very talented guy, but wasn't engaged unless he made an early basket, played the worst defense on the team. Yeah the worst. It's not like he showed any other than inconsistency prior to last season either, not disappointed to see him leave. CJ Frederick is a more complete player and would have taken minutes from Moss this season. People will regret overlooking Frederick.

Moss is probably one of the laziest players I have had to watch get any significant minutes. Very talented guy, but wasn't engaged unless he made an early basket, played the worst defense on the team. Yeah the worst. It's not like he showed any other than inconsistency prior to last season either, not disappointed to see him leave. CJ Frederick is a more complete player and would have taken minutes from Moss this season. People will regret overlooking Frederick.
Agree. I'm glad Moss is gone. He would have just been taking minutes away from Frederick who has shown he's a complete player as a rs freshman than Moss ever was. I don't miss that Cook either. Lazy defender and rebounder. Monster dunker is all.

No denying Frederick plays significantly better defense than Moss. Not great, but better. It will be interesting to compare Moss & Frederick's ppg average at the end of the season...if that stat is similar, then it's advantage Iowa because of Frederick's defense.

No denying Frederick plays significantly better defense than Moss. Not great, but better. It will be interesting to compare Moss & Frederick's ppg average at the end of the season...if that stat is similar, then it's advantage Iowa because of Frederick's defense.
PPG isn’t even the best measure. Right now Fredrick has been extremely efficient offensively, he actually leads the Hawkeyes in offensive rating. He’s scoring on limited shots, he’s also got a very good assist to turnover ratio, which was not a strength of Moss. Right now Fredrick is blowing Moss out of the water in my opinion. With that said id still love to have Moss on the team in some role, dude could stroke it from deep and it’s always nice to have that.

Wow...lots of interesting takes on Moss. Honestly, I know he tended to disappear offensively at times or so it seemed...but you have to also remember, you have Bohannon, Cook, Garza, and Weiskamp on the team last year. All those guys, especially the first three, hunt shots. Every time Baer had an open look last year...he was firing without hesitation. Last time I checked, they still play the game with one ball.

I really don't remember Moss's defense being poor. I don't. I remember Bohannon's defense against the good teams being really poor...but I thought Moss was athletic and he defended.

On a team with a few go to players (Garza/Weiskamp)...having a guy like Moss who can make buckets in handfuls isn't a bad thing.

That being said, if you ask me which player I prefer...it's CJ Frederick. Kid is a gamer, a worker, and we have only seen glimpses of his shooting ability. He also is so fundamentally sound with the ball. He doesn't turn it over...assist to turnover is second on the team behind Connor Mac. Think about it...he's played 11 college games...and he's willing to take big shots. Smart move to redshirt.

PPG isn’t even the best measure. Right now Fredrick has been extremely efficient offensively, he actually leads the Hawkeyes in offensive rating. He’s scoring on limited shots, he’s also got a very good assist to turnover ratio, which was not a strength of Moss. Right now Fredrick is blowing Moss out of the water in my opinion. With that said id still love to have Moss on the team in some role, dude could stroke it from deep and it’s always nice to have that.
Moss would not have been content to have "some role" on the team this year. He wanted to hone his NBA "skills" above all else, as a high profile, large volume shooter. He practiced hundreds of times with Frederick. Perhaps he saw early on, what we have seen so far, and decided to take his talents to another school. If they both end up doing well this year it would be a win/win. Complete players, tend to make complete teams, is my view. Moss was nothing close to a complete player and that's why he sat the bench. Prior to Moss hitting the court we heard lots of stories about how amazing he was in practice, shooting and complete level. To me, he was less than advertised.

Moss was one of the more frustrating players ever it seems. Always hoping for more than he delivered 75% of the time. Give him Baer's motor/desire and he's an all-American. Would still be nice to have him on the team, but not at the expense of even one of CJ's minutes. That boy is a winner.

Another Moss hate session.
I always liked the guy (when he was a Hawk) just got frustrated with lack of effort on too many occasions. I just like what CJ brings to the team a whole lot more and SINCE MOSS QUIT and went elsewhere he is fair game for criticism anyway. I tend to support Hawkeye players.

I don't get why we gotta trash Moss. He was a fine player and did some great things as a Hawk. I can't help but wonder if his skin was white how many of these negative posts would be out there.

Moss's role was going to be reduced next year, Fran was upfront about it to him, so Moss decided to move on. It's that simple, I'm happy that he found playing time with Kansas.

I don't get why we gotta trash Moss. He was a fine player and did some great things as a Hawk. I can't help but wonder if his skin was white how many of these negative posts would be out there.

Moss's role was going to be reduced next year, Fran was upfront about it to him, so Moss decided to move on. It's that simple, I'm happy that he found playing time with Kansas.

If you tell the truth about a player, it isn't trashing them. I am glad he moved on, when he put his name into the draft after his sophomore year I was surprised he even came back. Maybe Iowa was just not a good fit and I think his lack of effort showed.
He is talented and Fran gave him plenty of chances. It is what it is.
As far as your comment about skin color, I call BS, did you ever read what was written about Gatens or Woodbury? Personally, I detested Zach McCabe during his time at Iowa and would take Moss over him any day even as frustrating as he was at Iowa.

Moss's D was vastly underrated because nobody challenged him. They would pass the ball away if he was on them. His defensive stance was very good, wide with arms spread out. He was also deceptively quick

I wouldn't mind him on the team this season after all the injuries and our now depleted roster

He is getting about 22 MPG with the number one team in college basketball and is shooting about 50% from the field and 90% from the foul line

Granted like most players he would have an off game offensively but he also had a hand in some very important wins. As a freshman, he and Jordan were the only freshman who seemed to know how to play the game

:cool:

Latest posts