So are we excited about basketball?

Why do you think I'm a sex doctor? ;)
My grandma says you're a witch doctor. Having stated the obvious, and getting back to the op, I'M WILDLY EXCITED ABOUT BASKETBALL THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I excited about Iowa basketball? If you want the truth: No, not really.

Fran has done OK overall but this newest class looks to be shaping up to be full of NR's and 3*'s with only mid-major offers (except Iowa). It's hard for me to get excited about that and what it might mean for the future. Guess we have to hope that they outperform their rankings. Granted, I don't follow recruiting that closely so the rankings are all I have to go by, but it doesn't look like this class is going to be rated highly at all relative to the rest of the conference. Maybe near the bottom.

Until recruiting improves, what we've seen so far on Fran's watch is the ceiling IMHO. Just being realistic. But, guess we'll have to see how it pans out.

Last edited:
Why do you think I'm a sex doctor? ;)
I doubt if much of Dr. Ruth's sexual knowledge came from actual experience. I mean, look at you...I mean her!

I do remember during the AIDS/pregnancy prevention crisis of the eighties when she was on seemingly every daytime and late night talk show, and seemed to make appearances on the Iowa campus about every fifteen minutes.

He routinely performs above expectations and his pay grade, so I am hopeful that can continue this season, which was what the OP was asking? If there was any hope or excitement? That fact gives me at least a little hope and has me at least a little excited for the season because when it comes to pre-season expectations for hoops, Fran's Iowa teams typically blow that out of the water. I think it says plenty about the expectations and really it's a deafening indictment on Iowa basketball in general, we were horrible before Fran got here for over a decade. He's got us back on the path of respectable and routinely dancing again but there are no real signs of that really ever getting better at the current moment. I hope he can continue to over perform but this season seems like an uphill battle with the deflections from the team since last year. I still expect NCAA and will every season he remains our coach.
Who's expectations are we talking about. No conference titles, no sweet sixteens, no tournament runs, below .500 in conference play. Certainly not my expectations and quite frankly if it hasn't happened yet I don't expect it to happen for him in the future. Low preseason expectations is not a selling point here.

I doubt if much of Dr. Ruth's sexual knowledge came from actual experience. I mean, look at you...I mean her!

I do remember during the AIDS/pregnancy prevention crisis of the eighties when she was on seemingly every daytime and late night talk show, and seemed to make appearances on the Iowa campus about every fifteen minutes.
I first saw her in college on Letterman, she grew up in Israel and had to spend time in the military like all Israels then. She told a hilarious story about a couple playing a game of ring toss with onion rings, this was back when Letterman was funny.

I first saw her in college on Letterman, she grew up in Israel and had to spend time in the military like all Israels then. She told a hilarious story about a couple playing a game of ring toss with onion rings, this was back when Letterman was funny.
I won't ask what kind of prophylactic someone like Dr Ruth would be tossing onion rings at.

I love how the OP acts like every P5 team has a championship coach that we are missing out on having.

Fran's a decent coach, he needs better recruiting and there's concern there. This will probably be a tough year based on transfer and injury they have with Jordan. But the next couple years might be something special.

I honestly get the feeling Fran might move on after his kids graduate. But if barta gets the replacement, fans would be lucky to get someone of the same caliber.

Am I excited about Iowa basketball? If you want the truth: No, not really.

Fran has done OK overall but this newest class looks to be shaping up to be full of NR's and 3*'s with only mid-major offers (except Iowa). It's hard for me to get excited about that and what it might mean for the future. Guess we have to hope that they outperform their rankings. Granted, I don't follow recruiting that closely so the rankings are all I have to go by, but it doesn't look like this class is going to be rated highly at all relative to the rest of the conference. Maybe near the bottom.

Until recruiting improves, what we've seen so far on Fran's watch is the ceiling IMHO. Just being realistic. But, guess we'll have to see how it pans out.
We ain't pulling in any blue-chippers, that's for sure.

I'm very apprehensive about this season. I don't know why. Usually I've got my black and gold goggles locked into place and I'm counting up the conference wins and how far we go in the NCAA tourney.

Not this year. I am however, the founding member of the Joe Toussaint Fan Club!

Who's expectations are we talking about. No conference titles, no sweet sixteens, no tournament runs, below .500 in conference play. Certainly not my expectations and quite frankly if it hasn't happened yet I don't expect it to happen for him in the future. Low preseason expectations is not a selling point here.

Yeah, national expectations, local expectations, fan expectations, reasonable expectations. Low expectations are what Iowa basketball is and has been for the last 20 years. Fran didn't cause that. If anything, he's changed the perception at least a little. If the team is picked to finish 9th or 10th but finishes 5th or 6th, that's ahead of what was expected. He's only finished below .500 3 times in 9 years and 2 of those times were his first.... so, that's what I mean by routinely playing above expectations. Fran has not made any sweet 16's - which is a tournament run. He needs to do that, but more so he needs to routinely hit the NCAA to make that an attainable goal. He's got that part down, now to take the next step. Who's to say that we're not on the heels of that? We may be. I don't know. I just know we'll likely be better then what is expected because we usually are. I didn't personally set those expectations.

OK so i'm not a Fran Fan. Looking at the 2 Ball State/Bradley level guards we now have in the fold while a difference maker from Bettendorf Iowa takes the floor at Ohio State this year doesn't feel great. In talking to a person Close to Foster several weeks ago he said no way he was coming to Iowa. Maybe he has changed his mind since then but one has to ask why?
McCaffrey isn't going to have a championship level team at Iowa, Isn't going to make noise in the tournament and isn't going to send a bunch of players tot the NBA. Hasn't done it so far and this doesn't look like the answer
Wow that was about as negative as I get

did you ask "why" foster was never going to come to iowa? i mean, while this person close to foster was in the mood to spill the beans did you ask for the details?

did you ask "why" foster was never going to come to iowa? i mean, while this person close to foster was in the mood to spill the beans did you ask for the details?
No I did not ask. This is a person close to Foster and I did not want to get into details. when he was asked he kind of rolled his eyes and said at that time Hawks were not his choice. I guess I just thought that for reasons stated before why would he be going to Iowa? this was a few weeks ago Maybe things have changed I hope so but really it still seems like there are few if any good reasons to pick Iowa?