So are we excited about basketball?

Yeah, national expectations, local expectations, fan expectations, reasonable expectations. Low expectations are what Iowa basketball is and has been for the last 20 years. Fran didn't cause that. If anything, he's changed the perception at least a little. If the team is picked to finish 9th or 10th but finishes 5th or 6th, that's ahead of what was expected. He's only finished below .500 3 times in 9 years and 2 of those times were his first.... so, that's what I mean by routinely playing above expectations. Fran has not made any sweet 16's - which is a tournament run. He needs to do that, but more so he needs to routinely hit the NCAA to make that an attainable goal. He's got that part down, now to take the next step. Who's to say that we're not on the heels of that? We may be. I don't know. I just know we'll likely be better then what is expected because we usually are. I didn't personally set those expectations.

I'm not sure why this keeps happening, but I feel that a huge part of making a Sweet 16 or better is avoiding those February/March meltdowns that have been all too common. Getting to the dance is one thing, but finishing the season 1-7 or 2-6 and slipping to a 7-10 seed makes it highly unlikely they get past the first weekend. Barring a major upset, a 1 or 2 seed awaits.

Fran's teams need to find consistency, especially down the stretch, and grab a Top 5 seed or so, so that the second round game is more of a coin flip as opposed to us being a heavy underdog. Also makes it a lot more likely to benefit from a 1st round upset when you're next to a 4/5 seed in the bracket.

All this said, I wonder what carries more weight with recruits: A great regular season and early NCAA exit, or a long tournament run but so-so regular season?

Last edited:
Iowa basketball is slowly moving towards Iowa Football emotions for me. It's no where near as bad as the Lick years, but I feel we all pretty much know what to expect out of a Fran coached squad.

Hot or cold starts
Inspired play middle of the year to get hopes up
Potential collapse at the end of the year and limp into the NCAA as a 7-10 seed.

If Basketball had an Outback Bowl, that would be it

Hawks have finished better than their pre-season expectations in 6 out of 9 seasons under Fran and 2 of those seasons he failed to were his first. They've also made 4 out of the last 6 NCAA tournaments after only making it 3 times in 14 years prior to that. I am hopeful our coach, who is like the 11th or 12th highest paid coach in the conference can pull another miracle out of his hat.
Ya, but that first four really doesn't count right? ;)

09142019_IOWA_MENS_BASKETBALL_TEAM_05.JPG

I see this and I almost think this:

Y-HARVARD-articleLarge.jpg

when I know we have to face this:

7480595b-1fa7-47d2-9406-6daa19e0f682-IMG_Cassuis_Winston_Nick_1_.JPG

and are coached by this:

fran.jpg

Let's Spell NIT.

Last edited:
09142019_IOWA_MENS_BASKETBALL_TEAM_05.JPG

I see this and I almost think this:

Y-HARVARD-articleLarge.jpg

when I know we have to face this:

7480595b-1fa7-47d2-9406-6daa19e0f682-IMG_Cassuis_Winston_Nick_1_.JPG

and our coached by this:

fran.jpg

Let's Spell NIT.
Well FWIW our 1980 team photo looked similar.

We only made the final four that year.

Ethnic makeup means little to me as long as the players in the uniforms can play.

Just my opinion, but I'm consistently sticking to it. Lickilter's first two teams were about 50/50 in ethnic mix, or maybe had slightly more African Americans. That didnt work out too well.

Not that I would complain about a mix similar to Kevin Mackey era Cleveland State, but those Mouse McFadden teams could ball!

Well FWIW our 1980 team photo looked similar.

We only made the final four that year.

Ethnic makeup means little to me as long as the players in the uniforms can play.

Just my opinion, but I'm consistently sticking to it. Lickilter's first two teams were about 50/50 in ethnic mix, or maybe had slightly more African Americans.

Not that I would complain about a mix similar to Kevin Mackey era Cleveland State, but those Mouse McFadden teams could ball!

I see your point (only the 80s had Lute coaching them and a real baller in Ronnie Lester). "Sometimes, rain can shine on a dog's ass." ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Eyeball test says we get manhandled a number of times this season.

I see your point (only the 80s had Lute coaching them and a real baller in Ronnie Lester). "Sometimes, rain can shine on a dog's ass." ;)

maxresdefault.jpg
Lester and Kenny Arnold were the two best players on the team. Vince Brookins wasn't far behind. That is certainly true.

A good coach doesn't hurt either.
Lute>>>>>Fran.

The story of Kevin Mackey could be a 30 for 30, if not a full length movie. His mid 80's run and stun teams were among my all time favorites. Ask Bobby Knight how good they were.

Lester and Kenny Arnold were the two best players on the team. Vince Brookins wasn't far behind. That is certainly true.

A good coach doesn't hurt either.
Lute>>>>>Fran.

The story of Kevin Mackey could be a 30 for 30, if not a full length movie. His mid 80's run and stun teams were among my all time favorites. Ask Bobby Knight how good they were.
Can't forget Special K, Boyle, and Bobby. Gotta say though after all these years sweet shooting Vince is still my favorite Hawkeye.

People who are obsessed with race in basketball are hilarious.....like if we had Dom Uhl, Ahmad Wagner and Christian Williams on this team, Iowa would have a better chance or something.

I like that we have a lot of successful black QBs in the NFL and Christian McCaffery is one of the best running backs because that smashes old stereotypes, but when it's all said and done, I just want players here who can play, no matter their race.
My sentiments exactly. And I'm glad that certain NFL stereotypes have been eradicated. If Warren Moon played his entire career in the NFL instead of having to prove himself in Canada for five or six years he would own every NFL passing record out there.

I like that we have a lot of successful black QBs in the NFL and Christian McCaffery is one of the best running backs because that smashes old stereotypes, but when it's all said and done, I just want players here who can play, no matter their race.
Just you wait. Moss will be the first white stud corner in the NFL cementing P Parkers place as a defensive back mastermind. (A guy can hope can't we?)

Back to the OP. Yeah I'm pretty excited. We should once again be a pretty darn deep team. And there's probably a dozen or so possibilities of different lineups we could realistically have out there. How fast Fran can figure out what works and how he wants to juggle them all will be interesting. If JBo is a full go having him and JW and Garza should make us a pretty formidable team alone. Nunge should be pretty good and hopefully Kreiner if he's improved will be huge. He had more then a few moments last yr. I like that we provide challenges for the other teams to try and matchup with us. We can play man zone and press on D with different looks. Fran has a lot of clubs in his bag we'll see which ones he uses. But it's also about how the players swing them.

My sentiments exactly. And I'm glad that certain NFL stereotypes have been eradicated. If Warren Moon played his entire career in the NFL instead of having to prove himself in Canada for five or six years he would own every NFL passing record out there.

So I assume white guys never played in Canada before making the move to the NFL? Otherwise your statement is pretty racist.

So I assume white guys never played in Canada before making the move to the NFL? Otherwise your statement is pretty racist.
I'm not racist, the NFL was.

Many African American college quarterbacks went to Canada or switched positions when they left school. Freddie Solomon was another example.

But since you rang, many white college quarterbacks switched positions in the NFL as well. Does the name Eddie Podolak ring a bell?

Latest posts