So are we excited about basketball?

I'd like to point out that 2 years ago the consensus on this board was that Iowa was going to challenge for the B1G and last year the consensus was that we were going to challenge for the cellar. Point being no one has a clue as to what to expect....which is why I am basing my expectations off of history of our coach. Iowa will probably be a little better than most expect.

5 levels? Lol what?
330px-Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

I'd like to point out that 2 years ago the consensus on this board was that Iowa was going to challenge for the B1G and last year the consensus was that we were going to challenge for the cellar. Point being no one has a clue as to what to expect....which is why I am basing my expectations off of history of our coach. Iowa will probably be a little better than most expect.
It looks like this season will be better than the one following it. Especially if Wieskamp goes pro.

He routinely performs above expectations and his pay grade, so I am hopeful that can continue this season, which was what the OP was asking? If there was any hope or excitement? That fact gives me at least a little hope and has me at least a little excited for the season because when it comes to pre-season expectations for hoops, Fran's Iowa teams typically blow that out of the water. I think it says plenty about the expectations and really it's a deafening indictment on Iowa basketball in general, we were horrible before Fran got here for over a decade. He's got us back on the path of respectable and routinely dancing again but there are no real signs of that really ever getting better at the current moment. I hope he can continue to over perform but this season seems like an uphill battle with the deflections from the team since last year. I still expect NCAA and will every season he remains our coach.

I wouldn't say Iowa is respected honestly. They are routinely the punch line of jokes and Fran being the biggest target and just the lack of any national relevance as well. How many of Iowa's recruits are recognized by national analyst on Twitter or other forms of media?? Iowa basketball is kind of a blase of basketball. The biggest comedians are those north west of Iowa city in Ames. Their program had turnover around the same time Fran came in and it's infuriating what they've done and extremely difficult to defend the Iowa program anymore so far removed (11 years) of the Lickliter era. I just sigh and cry when Iowa State and other programs around Iowa have success now.

So they were 6'5" in HS and both grew about 3 inches since? Pushes them to 6'8" with the same skill set of being able to shoot the ball but also now play the post? Throw in that they have focused on getting stronger and that's actually all fairly intriguing if true. Sounds like Fran liked what he saw enough to offer now before the early signing period.

I wouldn't say Iowa is respected honestly. They are routinely the punch line of jokes and Fran being the biggest target and just the lack of any national relevance as well. How many of Iowa's recruits are recognized by national analyst on Twitter or other forms of media?? Iowa basketball is kind of a blase of basketball. The biggest comedians are those north west of Iowa city in Ames. Their program had turnover around the same time Fran came in and it's infuriating what they've done and extremely difficult to defend the Iowa program anymore so far removed (11 years) of the Lickliter era. I just sigh and cry when Iowa State and other programs around Iowa have success now.

Making the tournament 4 out of 6 years doesn't need defended and definetly isn't "punch line of jokes" worthy. I wish it was better. But it's not those things.

So they were 6'5" in HS and both grew about 3 inches since? Pushes them to 6'8" with the same skill set of being able to shoot the ball but also now play the post? Throw in that they have focused on getting stronger and that's actually all fairly intriguing if true. Sounds like Fran liked what he saw enough to offer now before the early signing period.

The article just seemed odd the way it was written. Kind of like “These guys weren’t that good at 6’5” but now that they are three inches taller they should be pretty darn good.” It just sounded funny. I hope they turn out great.

Funny how Lickliter couldn’t recruit tall men but it seems like that is Fran’s strong suit. Now guards that’s a different subject. I know we are all hoping one of these freshmen guards turns out to be the point guard we have been looking for but I am very skeptical.

Frans point guards have been serviceable at best. He can get guards that can hit the open shot but what has seriously lacked is the guard who can break down defenses and also lock down opponents guards.

Last edited:
The article just seemed odd the way it was written. Kind of like “These guys weren’t that good at 6’5” but now that they are three inches taller they should be pretty darn good.” It just sounded funny. I hope they turn out great.

Funny how Lickliter could recruit tall men but it seems like that is Fran’s strong suit. Now guards that’s a different subject. I know we are all hoping one of these freshmen guards turns out to be the point guard we have been looking for but I am very skeptical.

Frans point guards have been serviceable at best. He can get guards that can hit the open shot but what has seriously lacked is the guard who can break down defenses and also lock down opponents guards.

I see what you mean lol. I guess I just read it as they could be another tall/lengthy shooter like a Baer etc. (possibly better) that could give you minutes at the 3 or 4 because of their versatility. At 6'5" you would only have a shooter but at 6'8" you have a shooter that has more versatility. That's the intrigue I guess. Let's just hope the growth spurts didn't hurt their athleticism, ball handling etc. I have not seen them play at all so no clue where they were at vs where they are at now in those aspects.

I see what you mean lol. I guess I just read it as they could be another tall/lengthy shooter like a Baer etc. (possibly better) that could give you minutes at the 3 or 4 because of their versatility. At 6'5" you would only have a shooter but at 6'8" you have a shooter that has more versatility. That's the intrigue I guess. Let's just hope the growth spurts didn't hurt their athleticism, ball handling etc. I have not seen them play at all so no clue where they were at vs where they are at now in those aspects.

I haven’t seen them play either. If they maintain the same quickness with the additional height that definitely could be an asset. I also agree with your concern how those three inches could possibly affect their skills in some ways.

Welcome aboard gentlemen. Better have your jock straps tightened, b/c in this league you're gonna need it. Players can contribute in so many ways, so let's hope they find out what that is; work hard; and learn to play defense and rebound. Those seem to lost arts in the college game (at Iowa) anyway. Or at least defending the perimeter I should say. Hopefully dad taught them a few things growing up.

This along with the mid-major talent have resulted in 0 BTT weekend appearances and 0 Sweet 16 appearances and 0 Big Ten Conference or Tourney champions

With the Murray twins now committing, that fills Iowa's 2020 class. No Foster.
I think Fran would be willing to carry one of his offspring in exchange for landing Foster.

Right?

OK so i'm not a Fran Fan. Looking at the 2 Ball State/Bradley level guards we now have in the fold while a difference maker from Bettendorf Iowa takes the floor at Ohio State this year doesn't feel great. In talking to a person Close to Foster several weeks ago he said no way he was coming to Iowa. Maybe he has changed his mind since then but one has to ask why?
McCaffrey isn't going to have a championship level team at Iowa, Isn't going to make noise in the tournament and isn't going to send a bunch of players tot the NBA. Hasn't done it so far and this doesn't look like the answer
Wow that was about as negative as I get
That "difference maker" from Bettendorf couldn't get past Dubuque Senior in substate his junior or senior years.

He never sniffed the state tournament either year.

Just sayin'.

Latest posts